E F Earlsweetgirl 02/26/03 -12/09/14 (Foster)Sweet

FiveRoooooers

1EFEARLSWEETGIRL_zpsb63924fc.jpg

(Foster)Sweet. After we’d lost Sorella (TPGIT), Seamus needed a new friend, someone close to his own age. “Sweetie” was available from WAG and on 9/28/13 the young’uns and I picked her up. The WAG folks were upfront about her “quirks” but we were game and got on board. She’d had a very brief racing career, went on to be a brood momma, and after that she languished at the farm in W. Virgina. For a long time. She was 10.5 when she finally got her traveling papers. She bounced around a bit through a couple of foster homes until we found her. She was my first foster and my first brood momma. As you have heard me say before ... What was I thinking?!

2WareAreWeGoing_zps48eb60c2.jpg

Her name was “Sweetie” but I shortened it to “Sweet” to underscore the authority it was clear she had earned. She loved to “run” but it was such an odd way that she traveled, she looked like those horses in c.1700 prints with all four feet off the ground in an anatomically-impossible stance! Structurally, she was a nightmare, with crooked hind legs, little-to-no muscle on her right hind, and hideous scars on all four legs. Her front legs had chronic sores that only recently were close to healing. She was thin and long but not very tall. She had lived a lot of life before her real retirement began with us :beatheart

3Patrol2_zpsfe46d6c9.jpg

She loved rides in the BOH! She was a voracious eater and efficiently cleaned her plate with calculated speed, a skill she undoubtedly learned in her role as a mom. She was a hoarder collector of stuffies and nylabones. Quirk #1: If I couldn’t find her all I had to do was look down between my knees :lol She would appear from out of nowhere and put herself there. AllTheTime. Trying to cook in our small kitchen I would say “Sweet, GO” and show her to the living room. She took that to mean “Go to the living room, turn around, and return to resume leaning on mom or standing between her knees.” AllTheTime.

The biggest quirk that worried me, though, was her yelling and getting ugly when another dog would get in her face. Too many dogs at once was overwhelming, even if they were simply walking past her - she could turn and be anything but sweet. For a little girl, she had a big voice and she knew how to use it. She was the Brenda Lee of greyhounds :lol Twice she nailed me when I walked past her bed and thought about adjusting the wrap on her sore paw. Bad move, momma, back off!

But even then there was something magical about Sweet, and I am forever greytful to her for being every bit the friend to Seamus that I had hoped she would be :wub: She never, ever talked back to him. From the very beginning she and Seamus were buds. She was a camper for just 14.2 months and somewhere along the way, she stopped yelling. Until recently when I started looking back at our short lives together, I had completely forgotten about that quirk because I hadn’t seen it in such a long time. She was finally content and happy.

4WithSeamie1_zps5f89a346.jpg

5WithSeamie2_zpsbeff82c8.jpg

6CheckingOnSeamie2_zps4b553a6e.jpg

Sweet’s beautiful cupcake collars came from NancyB, who thought that Sweet should also be the Sweetest Thing at Christmas. I love her in her peppermint candy collar, which she wore this week.

7Dandelion_zps0544a2d0.jpg

8CandyCollar1_zps4ad06fd5.jpg

A month ago while playing, while doing what she loved to do, the little girl with the wonky legs took a tumble. Thank you to WAG: it was then, while deciding on a course of treatment, that WAG graciously stamped her file "Adopted" and put the "(Foster)" on (Foster)Sweet :heart In addition to our wonderful vet, Sweet was cared for by one of our top neurologists. As she was so unstable, I had her set up in Bug’s Healing Camp which kept her safe from the young’uns. But she hated it. She hated not being in charge. She hated not being mobile. She would turn back to look at her legs with an expression that clearly said “WTH?” We thought that she was beginning to rally and for a few days she really did seem to be that tough old broad again. The HelpEmUp harness was tremendous for getting her in and out to potty. On Monday this week she fell again, and when I got home from work it was the first night that she wasn’t wonkily standing up waiting for me. The light had dimmed from her beautiful eyes and she told me how tired she was of fighting.

9Sweet_zps3690b451.jpg

Last night in the wind and torrential rain that had pummeled us all day, our wonderful vet and Norm came by to help my girl on her way. I held (Foster)Sweet and told her how much I loved her, how thankful I was for her friendship to all of us, and to not be afraid, to look toward the light, and to Seamie, who would be there waiting for her. He had probably been cooking all day in anticipation. :brokenheart:heart Thank you for the fox you sent before you left.

THIS is how I will remember you, Sweetgirl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfP29NtK82Q&feature=youtu.be

Godspeed Sweet-heart. No more pain, no more wonky legs, no more sores. If anyone gets in your face, you tell ‘em. :kiss2

And the strength continues. In a run-on sentence I would call her Sweet / Sweetgirl / Earlsweetgirl /EF!!Earlsweetgirl, never knowing what the heck EF meant. A fellow GT-er :kiss2 clued me in: Sweet's breeder was Tomblin Kennels. The "E" stands for Earl Tomblin Sr. The "F" stands for Faye Tomblin, Earl's wife. It explains where the "Earl" in Earlsweetgirl came from. I wonder if Mr. and Mrs. Tomblin had a special fondness for their "Sweetgirl" :beatheart Thank you friend for sharing this with me, plusalso that my Sweet and your girl were cousins :wub:

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jan, I'm so sorry. I know how special she was to you.

Run pain free, Sweet. Seamie will be waiting for you by the buffet. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

She was such a beautiful girl. I'll miss hearing about her and seeing her pictures. She's got many friends waiting.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

So sorry for your loss of Sweet. :f_pink

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Jan, I am so sorry that it was Sweet's time to leave. Your remembrance for her is beautiful. The photos of Seamie & Sweet are so touching to see. It is clear that they had formed a bond of companionship. In her time with you, Sweet discovered a wonderful, loving home, a place where she found she was special, a quiet haven from her previous life. In so many ways the best part of her life was saved for the last 14 months.

Rest well Sweet - the girl who truly lived up to her name! :beatheart

:f_pink:f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

In your words I can feel how very much you love her. I'm so sorry she had to leave you.

Godspeed, Sweet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. She was quite a character, wasn't she :grouphug

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

What a wonderfully sweet 14 months she had with you. :beatheart

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh Jan - I am so sorry. What a lucky lady she was to land at Camp Greyhound. Another bright star in the heavenly skies :beatheart I am quite sure she and Seamus enjoyed a wonderful reunion.

:grouphug

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Thank you all so much. For a little girl she sure had a huge presence here. She is missed.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.