Scapula Spine Bone (Shoulder Blade) Fracture

Josie

Back from the vet with Abbey...

Yesterday night both greys were outside and Abbey got over excited and started running like crazy.. she turn the corner and Otis was coming form the other side..

her shoulder jam into him in the chest (he got a big bruise but he is ok).

The vet check her out and thinks she may have broke the scapula spine bone (human don't have this bone), it's a long norrow bone on the shoulder blade...

gr339.jpg

for now she is on pain meds (Onsior) for the next 7 days and he will see her again after.. if things are not better we will try to do an xray and see...

She needs to be resting for the next week (that will be a challenge!), not jump down sofas or do too much downstairs...

anyone have any experience with that kind of fracture?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Ow, ow, ow! Poor Abbey!

No experience. But maybe keep her leashed, even in the house. Xpens and a crate may be your friends for the next few months.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

(moving the topic up, hopping that some Gters have experience with this and could share it)

updates:

The pills are working and Abbey is feeling better but we have to restrain her activities.. she still limps a little (not a leg limp it's really a limp from a shoulder pain)... on palpation it seems less painful.

We are seeing the vet again on Thursday.

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Will you do an xray? Might be worth it, if you can get it done without anesthesia.

Glad to hear she's doing a bit better though!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would want to do an xray to see what's going on.. but we need anesthesia for doing a shoulder blade xray.. position is not comfortable and not natural the vet said..

my vet knows about greyhound and anesthetics (he is a doberman owner)... but this scares me a lot..

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

I would want to do an xray to see what's going on.. but we need anesthesia for doing a shoulder blade xray.. position is not comfortable and not natural the vet said..

my vet knows about greyhound and anesthetics (he is a doberman owner)... but this scares me a lot..

Horse hockey--while not easy and you need to go slow I have done plenty of shoulder rads on completely conscience dogs. Now, that said if she's terribly painful he may need a slight sed to take the edge off--even a reversible sed- (dexdomitor/antisedan) would be appropriate. Edited by tbhounds

Horse hockey--while not easy and you need to go slow I have done plenty of shoulder rads on completely conscience dogs. Now, that said if she's terribly painful he may need a slight sed to take the edge off--even a reversible sed- (dexdomitor/antisedan) would be appropriate.

is x-raying of the scapula a little different then for the shoulder?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

is x-raying of the scapula a little different then for the shoulder?

No the scapula is part of the shoulder but, one can focus on different areas of the shoulder--(sadly we often focus on the humerus in ghs as it's a common OSA site-)-achieving multiple views may be difficult on an awake painful patient but, getting a lateral view should be doable. Of course I'm not sure what view your Dr would like and I don't know the pain status of your hound and perhaps your vet feels doing rads might even be premature at this time. All that said-you should be able to obtain a lateral view without a problem.

UPDATE

Abbey is herself again (read energetic and crazy).

went to the vet this evening. After examination he thinks that there's definitely no fracture since he can manipulate the shoulder and shoulder blade, so no need to do xray. It was a big contusion and soreness. :)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data