Survey: Pre-Anesthesia Bloodwork Done Prior To Spay/neuter?

adoption and pre-anesthesia bloodwork  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Prior to the adoption of your greyhound(s), did your adoption group do pre-anesthesia bloodwork?

• Yes, it is done as a matter of routine for every dog prior to spay or neuter
    • No, it is not done but I don't know why
    • No, because it is too expensive to test every dog
    • It was an additional fee if I as the adopter chose to pay for it
    • I don't know if it was done or not
    • YES, it is my group's policy that all dogs get pre-anesthesia testing done
    • NO, it is my group's policy to not get pre-anesthesia testing done.

I had a previous thread on this topic but now I'd like to expand on the details.

First question:

If you know how much the pre-anesthesia testing cost, please add that as a comment.

If it was blood testing only or included a urine sample as well.

Editing to add that I've dropped the second question but added more to the first. Multiple choice should now work.

Please comment on whether your group has a written policy regarding whether pre-anesthesia testing will be done prior to a spay or neuter.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Around here, a full panel with urine and fecal costs about $120 full price, but I know the vets our group works with give them a price cut. As far as I know, there isn't a written policy about what is and isn't done for dogs in our system. But all dogs are completely medically vetted, spayed/neutered, wormed, first shots (rabies for sure, and maybe some others). If they are older or have other medical issues, those are addressed as well. An adopter basically gets a healthy dog. Actual cost is probably double (at least) the adoption fee.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The poll won't let me submit my answer because I wasn't going to answer question #2. :)

I believe that my 3 year old healthy greyhound had no bloodwork done before her dental/spay. My 7 year old kidney-damaged dog had both bloodwork & a urinalysis before his dental (neutered years before). I can't remember what was covered in the bloodwork, though.

I paid $95 for my borzoi's bloodwork in July. That was in NC, unfortunately vet care seems to be more $$$ where I am now.

ETA: The collie rescue and Pyr rescue I volunteered with in NC also did not do routine bloodwork on all adoptees before spay/neuter.

Edited by Saharasmom

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

I've just edited the poll so hopefully it will work better now. Additional comments welcome.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Except for Myun, all of my hounds were spayed or neutered long before I fostered, er, adopted them. Myun was tested,

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Isn't it up to the VET? In my area, none of the vets I've ever used will perform any procedure involving anesthesia without doing bloodwork in advance.

It is a requirement with my vet too.

Our local county animal shelter provides a voucher for spay/neuter. I am going to investigate whether that includes any testing.

tiny hada siggy.png

I think it's fairly common for groups to not do any bloodwork at all before doing spay/neuter/dental from what I've seen. Or, they do it on senior dogs but do not do young dogs.

We do bloodwork on all dogs, no matter the age.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Hoping for more survey input please. :)

tiny hada siggy.png

Both of my dogs were spayed before they came to my group. I have no idea if they had pre-anesthesia bloodwork. Now, on any surgery post-adoption, such as dentals, I have the bloodwork done. I know it's optional for younger dogs, but I'd rather have the information available. Also, it gives a baseline for the future.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

My group does blood work on all incoming dogs, regardless of age or what may be done to them. Usually a return will need at least dental cleaning. We include that info in the adoption packet and can be used as base line info.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it's routinely done. I have no idea if it's official policy, because the branch of the group I deal with in my area tends to do things their own way. I can't remember exactly what was and wasn't included, but it's not as full a panel in terms of liver values, I think, as I like, so I run another one once they're settled in to have as a benchmark for later.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I would assume my group does it but my girl came off the track in I think Alabama and her spay was done there before coming up to NJ. I know there were a whole bunch of greys that were done at once from copies of Bella's paperwork so obviously it was a grey-savvy vet working with a group of some sort.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest sireltonsmom

Fortunately the vets give a discount to both groups I support. It's included in the before adoption spay/neuter/dental/microchip process. I have sponsored two dogs in the prison program which helps with medical, feeding, etc.

Our first GH came already neutered from the track. Our second was neutered as a foster, and we weren't given the records of it, so I don't know if they did pre-anesthesia bloodwork. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).