Hello From Florida With Adoption Process!

Guest Mordechai

Guest Mordechai

Hello all! I'm Yelle and my husband and I are in the process of adopting a beautiful brindle boy! His racing name is Flying Doors, and he is 3 years old. We met him on Saturday and we didn't want to leave, we loved being around him so much! We put in the application to begin the adoption process and have the following timeline:

Today - home visit

Tomorrow - vet visit for neutering/microchipping/shots/check up

Saturday - we get to visit him at the kennel and bring him a tshirt of ours to keep in his kennel with him

One week later - we get to pick him up after they've kept him for 1 week after his surgery

I've read 2 books on greyhounds as well as been reading this forum for months (thank you all for the wealth of information!). However, I would love any tips for the home visit tonight! I'm not sure what to expect but I know the woman I've been working with will be bringing one of her own greyhounds to see how the dogs will be in our house. Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated!

And of course, me and Flying Doors, the day we met!

10561072_638321729596803_1924711928_n.jp

Edited by Mordechai

Congrats, you will never be the same! ( While Flying Doors is at the vet) It appears the right rear leg had a red wrapping on it in his photo shot on Grey-data page. If the dog were to be mine, I would ask questions or have xrays if nothing noted at time of retirement. It would not stop my adoption, but could indicate activity level in the future.

Welcome! :welcome2 He's adorable! At the home visit, they'll want to see that your home is a good place for a dog to live - they don't care about your decor unless you're a hoarder. :ph34r They'll go over lots of things you've probably already read in the books & answer any questions you have. They'll especially talk about safety concerns - fences, glass doors, proper fitting of a martingale collar. It's always good to see a greyhound in your home so you know how much couch space you're going to lose. :flip Have fun with your new boy! :beatheart

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Bhamgreyt

Welcome! (I'm new here myself but have had my oldest grey for 4 years and am in the process of adopting another). This is an amazing breed they truly loves human interaction.

We actually do home visits for an agency when there's a need in our area as we are about 100 miles away from where we got our oldest. It's Nothing to worry about. They just want make sure your environment is good for a dog and may offer some suggestions. Feel free to ask questions of your own. It's a good experience for owner and pet alike and to make sure it's a good fit.

Congrats and please more pics when he comes home!!

Guest Mordechai

Congrats, you will never be the same! ( While Flying Doors is at the vet) It appears the right rear leg had a red wrapping on it in his photo shot on Grey-data page. If the dog were to be mine, I would ask questions or have xrays if nothing noted at time of retirement. It would not stop my adoption, but could indicate activity level in the future.

Thank you for the feedback! They did let us know that he came to the organization with a broken leg. We will be given a copy of all of his vet bills and notes. No XRays though - should I request the XRays from the vet? Thanks for your help!

I was advised to remove my rosebush in my yard, since greys have thin skin that can easily tear. So I did. :)

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Most vets have xrays on digital and can be sent anywhere, if needed I fostered a 3yo who had a previous break. He was taped and healed up well in couple months. I wanted the adopters to be aware of his injury just in case he was jumping out of their tall Tahoe.

Guest Mordechai

Most vets have xrays on digital and can be sent anywhere, if needed I fostered a 3yo who had a previous break. He was taped and healed up well in couple months. I wanted the adopters to be aware of his injury just in case he was jumping out of their tall Tahoe.

Thank you for feedback! The vet records indicated that he broke his leg in October of last year, so he should be completely healed. However, we plan on taking it easy with him and watching that leg to see how long he can walk and stand comfortably :)

So handsome! A home visit is a wonderful time to ask all those questions that you didn't think of at the kennel visit, or thought were too little to bother someone with. Like if you have stairs, ask the visitor his/her opinion of the best method to deal with your particular stairs. Enjoy your home visit, your visit to the kennel on Saturday, and then many happy years with your new friend.

Jenbo, my rosebushes haven't given the dogs any problems. However, at my old and rose-less house, Nutmeg managed to completely de-skin one ear on who-knows-what in the yard.

It's always good to see a greyhound in your home so you know how much couch space you're going to lose.

:lol

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Congrats!!! He's a beauty. A couple things I say is always good advice is patience and vigilance. The former because so much will be new to him and it may take a while for to get comfortable. The second.....because he is new (there's a trend here you can see) you need to stay focused when walking him, taking him on car rides and even around and outside the house. This is all about not losing your pup as it is devastating and one can get complacent and that's all it takes. These pups are not like other dogs and don't easily come back to you when you call them. The first time you experience when they don't seem to recognize you and they are loose where they shouldn't be, you will feel it in your gut. This is not to plant fear, just to remember Greys are different and you need to just keep that in mind.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Doggone

I was advised to temporarily cover a glass-topped coffee table so that it would appear as a solid object to Autumn and she wouldn't run into it. Of course, at that time, the woman in charge of placements didn't know that Autumn a. Takes retirement extremely seriously and doesn't bother running in the house, and b. When asleep (most of the day) it's more difficult to get hurt ;).

:D

Guest Bhamgreyt

Congrats!!! He's a beauty. A couple things I say is always good advice is patience and vigilance. The former because so much will be new to him and it may take a while for to get comfortable. The second.....because he is new (there's a trend here you can see) you need to stay focused when walking him, taking him on car rides and even around and outside the house. This is all about not losing your pup as it is devastating and one can get complacent and that's all it takes. These pups are not like other dogs and don't easily come back to you when you call them. The first time you experience when they don't seem to recognize you and they are loose where they shouldn't be, you will feel it in your gut. This is not to plant fear, just to remember Greys are different and you need to just keep that in mind.

My Lila got loose once in 4 years on my wife and we were in a panic. Of course Lila thought it was hilarious motor boating her tail and running up and down the street. Thankfully she came back quickly.

Guest sireltonsmom

Ask them if he'd like some water and (perhaps) a treat. The home visit folks like to see that you're about the dog's comfort and well being. Congratulations and happiness to you all. You'll love having a grey - and you get a whole family of friends/playdates/advice with him!

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

Before you get him, please put painters tape or duct tape or something on any sliding glass doors and/or mirrors at his eye level. Everything is new to greys so protection is a good thing while you introduce him to all the new. Enjoy!

Edited by sireltonsmom

Guest tellybelly

Welcome from SE Florida! What a handsome hound! All the best on your home visit and hope to see more photos after he's settled in!

Guest Mordechai

How'd the home visit go?????

We ended up having to delay the home visit, but no worries! We have it now scheduled for Monday so better to prepare with everyone's tips! We were able to visit him today, since he had his neutering 2 days ago. Here's photos from today! He's doing so well, is still constantly wagging his tail, and he even followed us to the door when we were leaving. I think he's ready for a home!

Mordechai-1.jpg

Mordechai-2.jpg

Here is a link to a website that has videos of some of his races. Just click on the link on the right!

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp?keyword=Flying+Doors&x=11&y=0&by=dogname

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest itsallgreyt

He's beautiful! Since he had a broken leg - its good if you can find out if there's a metal plate in the leg that experienced the break. If so, it will need to be removed at some point down the road.