Cat In Yard!

this is what just happened:

annie, felix and 2 other Greys that i was out w/ all day were muzzled, let loose in the yard- 9pm after our day's journey- couldn't see a thing. well- there was a good chase going w/ a huge fluffy cream cat. it couldn't get out- ran up to the fence, then gate where i was standing..CLIMBED UP MY COAT AND JUMPED OVER THE GATE(thankfully it's a nice heavy duty canvas LL BEAN barn jacket).

now that we are inside- i see annie has 2 scratches on her head- above the muzzle near her eye. washed it w/ hydrogen peroxide and applied a huge glob of antibiotic ointment. i'll see what happens tomorrow and call my vet.

this is what i just found on gt-http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/300195-stray-cats/?hl=scratches

anything besides calling my vet on monday? i'm relieved that I didn't get scratched as well, i'm highly allergic to cats. as to rabies booster, just the contact/scratch is more than enough to warrant a booster, right?

Edited by cleptogrey

Vet visit for antibiotics might be in order since this was cat inflicted.

Also, I always recommend to clients not to use hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds. It's painful and it also damages healthy tissue and cells, which is the last thing you want for a wound. Rinse with warm water and depending on severity or cause (all cat/dog inflicted wounds typically benefit from antibiotics) visit your vet for antibiotics/wound cleaning.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Most of my vets and people doctors have said it is OK to use peroxide just once, not multiple times. The thinking is it can flush things out at the time of the injury but using it later destroys the tissue that is trying to heal. :dunno Don't beat yourself up over that. I have used peroxide on myself more times than can be counted and it has never hurt. :blink:

Just keep a close eye on the wound tomorrow. Cat scratch disease is closely related to the bubonic plague and can blow up in a hurry. I'll never forget my GP holding up one finger and saying "see this - this is what cats carry in their spit and claws". Then he held up the finger next to it and said "this is what causes bubonic plague". There are a couple of vets here that have Sunday hours and are not e-vets. Maybe look to see if there is one near you in case you might need it tomorrow?

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

i used peroxide when i sliced my finger open (MANDOLIN SLICER!) ON march1st. the dr. who stitched my finger (9 stitches) said it was ok for the initial cleaning. as far as i can see it didn't hurt, she didn't flinch- i know i didn't feel a thing when i poured it over my open wound.

yeah, i've had cat scratch fever- that's how allergic i am. i know the emergency hospital is ridiculous. both are VCA hospitals and i dare not step a foot in with out leaving w/ a $1k bill. i'll go first thing monday morning- i can get in contact w/ my vet before 8. but right now they are covered w/ triple antibiotic ointment. i just hope the eye wasn't scratched. annie is on a steroidal antibiotic ointment for pannus. i'll double dose her tomorrow, the ointment is also used for inflammations.

if it's swollen i'll deal w/ it immediately!

OY!!! :yikes:headwall

i went up to the vet for a rabies booster and his once over. he couldn't believe how clean the scratches were and complimented me on cleaning them up. i guess the hydrogen peroxide didn't hurt---- i did get the same compliment for the ER dr. when i sliced my thumb down to the bone- clean wound. so, 1/2 exam and rabies booster and NO antibiotics for annie . my vet is very very conservative when it comes to antibiotics. he even looked under the scabs to make sure there was no sign of infection.

so, on to annie's next adventure. i'm still shocked that i didn't get nailed when the cat climbed up my barn coat. i guess standing perfectly still helped and luck was on my side!

​Oh Annie, hope you're ok. Sending hugs and good wishes. Your mom took good care of you right away.

from the mouth of the annie kitty zapper herself, "ginny, i'm fine. i'm enjoying all of this attention and ANOTHER ride in the car! i can't wait to share the link to the music video that i was in.(that's why i was with all of my friends from duchess county, we just did the long drive back from east hampton, ny and needed to stretch." when it's published i'll announce it. thanks for the good wishes."