Dr. Couto Is Available For Consults

I wanted to let everyone know that Dr. Couto is available for e-mail, phone, and video consults.

coutovetconsultants@gmail.com
614-664-9177

The consult fee is US$120, payable via PayPal, and includes up to 3 follow ups via email; telephone or video conference.

Jane

edited to add that a portion of the consult fee will be donated to Scooby to help the galgos.

Edited by joejoesmom

Really hope not to need his services, but I'm THRILLED to know he's still available. And helping Scooby. What a wonderful man.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Really hope not to need his services, but I'm THRILLED to know he's still available. And helping Scooby. What a wonderful man.

:nod

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I just put his info in my g-mail contacts list. Hoping I don't need it, but now I know where to find the info.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• 3 weeks later...

Had to consult with Dr Couto. One of our greyhounds had his leg break, compound fracture. He is 8, just the right age for Osteo. Path report came back yesterday. It is Osteo.

Dr Couto is right there for us.

614-664-9177

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mlindau

Had to consult with Dr Couto. One of our greyhounds had his leg break, compound fracture. He is 8, just the right age for Osteo. Path report came back yesterday. It is Osteo.

Dr Couto is right there for us.

614-664-9177

I am so sorry. What did you decide to do? I just came back from the vet. Nasty leg break. Osteo. 7 1/2 years old.

I am so sorry. What did you decide to do? I just came back from the vet. Nasty leg break. Osteo. 7 1/2 years old.

If I may speak for Tallgreydogmom here--she ended up going the amputation/chemo route. He's doing very well and may participate in Dr Masons clinical trial (listeria vaccine).

Sorry to hear about your hound. Unfortunately, if you don't amputate at this point you need to let your hound go. :-(

I'm sorry to read that your pup has Osteo. As Tracy stated, you only have two options as you know. I can say Greys do fine on three legs as my Charlie was even more energetic as a tripod than he was with all four. We opted for amp and chemo even though he did not break his leg and he live another 21 mths happy and as crazy as ever.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:grouphug I'm so sorry to hear the news.

I chose amp on a 12 yr old and she did splendidly for 6 months. OS then hit another leg. Only then did I lose her. She never had lung mets.

Guest MnMDogs

Does he consult for other cancers? We have a mysterious lump on Macy May that we cannot get a definitive diagnosis on...and I'd like to send him the reports before putting her through surgery to remove it, along with large margins, etc. if we don't need to.

Thank you for this information

Does he consult for other cancers? We have a mysterious lump on Macy May that we cannot get a definitive diagnosis on...and I'd like to send him the reports before putting her through surgery to remove it, along with large margins, etc. if we don't need to.

Thank you for this information

Of course-he is a veterinary oncologist. He doesn't just give Osteo advice. Sounds like a good idea to consult with him prior to the surgery. I remember a hound here that had surgery and was scheduled for chemo-Dr Couto looked actually reread the biopsy slide and determined that it wasn't a cancer that even needed to be treated-turned out the tumor was benign. That owner was rather greytful :-)

Please keep us posted!

Edited by tbhounds

Guest MnMDogs

Ok that's what I thought, I just always associate him with bone cancer. This has been a freaking nightmare...going on since mid sept... With no real answers, and enough confounding factors to just make this all very confusing.

I think I rememebr that case... was that Robin's Loca??

Of course-he is a veterinary oncologist. He doesn't just give Osteo advice. Sounds like a good idea to consult with him prior to the surgery. I remember a hound here that had surgery and was scheduled for chemo-Dr Couto looked actually reread the biopsy slide and determined that it wasn't a cancer that even needed to be treated-turned out the tumor was benign. That owner was rather greytful :-)

Please keep us posted!

:nod

I consulted with Dr. Couto on the two separate (and each a different type) soft-tissue cancer diagnoses that we received in the path report for Aston's two recent lumps, and after requesting copies of recent blood cbc/chemistry tests and a urinalysis, he asked me to ask my vet to call the pathologist back to check and see whether one lump was actually just repair tissue from a recent severe infection -- turned out that it was. He also confirmed that the other lump was indeed cancer, but a slow-growing type; we can elect to have a second surgery performed to get cleaner margins, but it doesn't have to be anytime soon.

Aside from his knowledge, I was amazed at his response time (despite being in Spain to teach at a veterinary congress during Aston's case) as well as his friendly manner. An incredible asset to the greyhound community :heart

Edit to add: I hope you are able to get some answers soon. :( A hug for you, and scritches for Ms. Macy May :grouphug

Edited by o_rooly

Guest MnMDogs

o_rooly - did an oncologist read the path reports as well? We had one read ours and she thinks that it is possible it's scar tissue from Macy's recent unexplained hematoma (which is what the cytology also showed from the aspirate... But there was just enough uncertainty that we took the lump for biopsy). She also feels that it's safest to have the surgeon take it out with big margins and underlying fascia, since it is still possible it's not scar tissue.

I just can't understand how they can say it may be scar tissue, but it should come out to be safe.

I should add, I love my vet, I love her! She has been available and awesome and spending time taking to me, pathologist, oncologist on her days off. But I really just want another perspective.

I also hope that your Aston is doing well... You've been through so much with him too!

o_rooly - did an oncologist read the path reports as well? We had one read ours and she thinks that it is possible it's scar tissue from Macy's recent unexplained hematoma (which is what the cytology also showed from the aspirate... But there was just enough uncertainty that we took the lump for biopsy). She also feels that it's safest to have the surgeon take it out with big margins and underlying fascia, since it is still possible it's not scar tissue.

I just can't understand how they can say it may be scar tissue, but it should come out to be safe.

I should add, I love my vet, I love her! She has been available and awesome and spending time taking to me, pathologist, oncologist on her days off. But I really just want another perspective.

I also hope that your Aston is doing well... You've been through so much with him too!

I didn't consult with anyone locally. When my vet called to report the path results, I asked her if she could recommend any local oncologists, and she paused, at which point I just blurted out that I would send the report to OSU for a consult, explaining that there's a greyhound wellness research program there (GT reflex, I suppose :blush ). I did call and leave a message with the GHWP @ OSU that day requesting information on how to proceed with a consult, but ended up contacting Dr. Couto directly soon after (I never heard back from OSU).

I initially sent Dr. Couto the backstory on Aston's case, along with the path report + xrays and a blood culture report that were used in diagnosing his severe foot infection. He responded saying that he needed more information, and from there we had a few days of back-and-forth between him and me, and me and my vet. My vet was very cooperative with running updated bloodwork, a urinalysis, etc., even though she wasn't completely on-board with some of Dr. Couto's thoughts on greyhound blood markers (since Aston's high-for-a-greyhound globulin was well within the "normal dog" range). It felt pretty awkward to call my vet a few times a day with updates and further requests from a mystery oncologist on travel in Spain :lol , but oh well.

I'm sure that there are great oncologists locally, I don't mean to discount them at all. However, it's hard to beat getting to pick the brain of a leading researcher in how cancer presents in greyhounds. :)

Guest MnMDogs

Thank you for all of that background! My vet has is aware him and has been very willing to loop him (GHWP also) for a few things in the past. So I didn't feel too bad about asking!

I just wonder if he will see anything different than this oncologist. But I'm going to ask anyway... :)

Thank you for all of that background! My vet has is aware him and has been very willing to loop him (GHWP also) for a few things in the past. So I didn't feel too bad about asking!

I just wonder if he will see anything different than this oncologist. But I'm going to ask anyway... :)

A second opinion never, ever hurts--keep us posted!

• 1 month later...