Violet - Rhabdomyolysis, Update: Vet Recheck (#183)

On our hike, Violet started peeing blood, about a mile or a little more in. It was hotter than I would have liked so I was giving water frequently and when I saw the blood I made sure she was totally wet down as best I could and turned around. We stopped repeatedly for water and each time she would drink a lot then pee a relatively small amt of red blood.

We git back, I hosed her down with ice cold water, and got her in car with AC. In car she drank coconut water. Through this all she was walking, alert and responsive although on hike itself panting and slower than normal.

Went to closest vet we could find, they've given her subq fluids, 500 ml (theyre closing, no time for IV) and we're waiting for a basic blood chem. they can't do UA in house so are spinning it down to see if its all fresh blood that separates out to try to rule out heat issue. They're also doing something to look at hematocrit and blood and bloody urine will get sent out for full CBC and UA...
...Heat not ruled out but they seem less inclined to think its that. Both the new rather clueless vet and the amazing vet tech of 30 years think its most likely a stone, but UTI isn't completely off table (they think its too much blood for that) and bladder cancer or a benign tumor rupturing have also been brought up.

Thoughts? Depending on blood, we will prob do X-rays to look for stones. Anything else? I can get am ultrasound but we will have to go to the emergency clinic closer to my house. Same if i wamt to do IV fluids or she needs a blood transfusion because they close at 3.
She is acting completely normal btw. Resting comfortably, eyes and gums look good, no bruising.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest grey_dreams

Sounds like it could be the condition where they metabolize muscle, which produces blood in urine. I can't remember the name of the condition, so have to search for that. Good that she is now cool and getting sub-Q fluids.

That's rhabdo and that's what I was worried about, but I don't think she would be acting normal right now if that's what it was. I also think that doesn't cause blood in the urine, but dark orange urine from the muscle breakdown. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

ETA: I think its also painful and we would see muscle weakness? Again, please correct me if I'm wrong. I was most concerned about that before speaking with the vet, but frankly I'm not impresed by him, I'm more impressed by the tech.

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

ER presents with dark brown urine and a painful topline and reluctance to move. Dog may strain to urinate. AFAIK, it doesn't cause bloody urine. Did she seem painful on urination? It does sound like a lot of blood for it to be a UTI. I'd be guessing a stone as well, but I'm guessing you will need the ultrasound to determine if that's the case. :(. Call me when you're done at the vet.

Looking at the CRG, and it might look bloody because of myoglobin excreted through kidneys during ER. Fingers crossed for y'all :hope

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Heat stroke or rhabdo, weve moved to the e-vet now, waiting for him. Please send good thoughts. she is still acting normal, but her urine just now looked even darker to me. :(

Heat stroke or rhabdo, weve moved to the e-vet now, waiting for him. Please send good thoughts. she is still acting normal, but her urine just now looked even darker to me. :(

Which e-vet?

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Which e-vet?

We're at the Life Center in Leesburg now. She's on fluids and we're waiting for new bloodwork. The vet is leaning strongly toward rhabdo. :(

Tbhounds, I don't know PCV yet. I wish I would have just come straight here, but it was about 30 min further and I just wanted to get her somewhere, get her on fluids and get bloodwork run. But they couldn't run a full panel in house. Her temp was 100.7 when we arrived, but by then I had hosed her down with ice cold water and gotten her into the AC car.

I can't believe this is happening. I am so upset with myself for not insisting they start IV fluids immed at the first place. But they want me to see the vet first, then he doesn't think its heat related, blah blah. I knew better! So something like 3+ hrs went by with no IV. :(

In your shoes, I would have gotten her to the first place I could, as well. Keeping you both in my thoughts! She is in a very good place now, getting help. :heart

Agreed. I think it speaks rather poorly of them that they were more concerned about getting out at closing time than taking care of her properly. I hope she will be alright.

If she was acting ok and her temp was normal its very doubtful that she has heatstroke. She may just have a raging uti. The first clinic you went to sounds like they practice substandard care. Most clinicians can run a routine urine analysis in house. They also could run a very simple hct (PCV)---also, if they were concerned enough they should have placed an IV catheter and bolused fluids. Did they snap a radiograph??

If she was acting ok and her temp was normal its very doubtful that she has heatstroke. She may just have a raging uti. The first clinic you went to sounds like they practice substandard care. Most clinicians can run a routine urine analysis in house. They also could run a very simple hct (PCV)---also, if they were concerned enough they should have placed an IV catheter and bolused fluids. Did they snap a radiograph??

Too much to type on my phone now, but no way a UTI, her urine is full of myoglobin. They took a new sample and confirmed that. HCT was 47 at first place, 53.7 with new sample. Platelets and clotting times normal.

Guest alannamac

You did the right thing and cooled her off and got her to the closest vet possible. Don't beat yourself up! The vet did at least give subQ fluids and that's helpful. Sending good wishes for Violet and yourself.