My Hound Is A Pervert

Any training tips for stopping Sweep's overly friendly greetings? She is a chronic crotch sniffer, and it can be pretty mortifying (women in skirts are now to be avoided at all costs). People probably wonder why I'm holding her leash in a death grip til she's literally gagging herself trying to say hi, and then they find out. I know it's a common doggie hello and she's at the perfect height for it, but sheesh. Everyone's been a good sport about it, but I'd rather curb the behavior altogether if possible than count on that.

FWIW, we've taught her the commands sit, stay, wait, lie down, look at me, and go to bed (as well as the completely impractical but entertaining "roach" and "shake") and she does them quite well in the house, but she's not as reliable outside with all its visual and olfactory distractions. We're still working on that, so any additional ideas we might try? Has anyone successfully trained their dog out of this behavior?

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

My DD's first grey was a dedicated crotch sniffer. Whenever I went to the house I had stand against the wall while greeting all the dogs or his nose was shoved up my butt! When I went the farm to pick up my first puppy the breeder asked me if I knew how greys like to greet & when I told him about Whimpee he laughed & said that's what he was talking about. I wanted to name my pup Dr. P but DD said that wouldn't be good. Now DD has a small girl that loves to greet that way & then push her head between your legs. It is a dog thing & I guess they just take the way they greet each other over to greeting people.

My DD's first grey was a dedicated crotch sniffer. Whenever I went to the house I had stand against the wall while greeting all the dogs or his nose was shoved up my butt! When I went the farm to pick up my first puppy the breeder asked me if I knew how greys like to greet & when I told him about Whimpee he laughed & said that's what he was talking about. I wanted to name my pup Dr. P but DD said that wouldn't be good. Now DD has a small girl that loves to greet that way & then push her head between your legs. It is a dog thing & I guess they just take the way they greet each other over to greeting people.

Oh, yeah, she likes butts too, but that's an honor she usually reserves for people she knows. :lol

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Guest javakaty

haha - Nica has been with us just under a week, so she hasn't met too many new people today, but I came home from work today to let her out of her crate for a break at lunch and brought two coworkers/friends with me to meet her. Nica's greeting of preference for one coworker was the crotch sniff, but didn't to the same to the other coworker (playing favorites, I guess??). Luckily they are both dog- lovers, but we're learning more and more about Nica everyday!

Also interested to see if there is a way to get her to not do this :-)

Crouch down to greet instead and once you see those huge slow tail swings you'll know your dog is really happy that you're home. With other people just redirect the dog before it happens.

Yes I know how annoying it can be as my Borzoi Misha managed to get me slapped once while we were walking in a crowded little mall with a some 40'ish random woman just in front :f50:

Yes I know how annoying it can be as my Borzoi Misha managed to get me slapped once while we were walking in a crowded little mall with a some 40'ish random woman just in front :f50:

Ah ha ha! That is awesome!

Neither dog really sticks their noses in people's crotches. However, Summit does with me. When he's really happy he rubs his face against the outside of my leg, but he also LOVES to stick his head between my legs and have me rub his head/ears.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Yikes! I will tell my husband to be extra, extra careful when walking Sweep alone. :wife

Guest chickenpotpie

I'm ever thankful I don't have a crotch sniffer, but she does sometimes poke me in the butt with her nose from time to time. She's such a doofy dog... :hehe

Guest Waterdog66

When you guys figure this out, I am keen on hearing what the solution (That works) turns out to be.

I have tried to redirect/avoid method with a bit of success but it still happens from time to time. (Crotch Sniffing when she greets someone she knows)

From my way of thinking, this behavior is different than the "Herding" behavior where we get nudged, prodded and poked when she is excited and wants us to do something. (Not associated with greeting) usually, this is code for "Take me for a Walk" or "Will you get me my breakfast right now please". If we dawdle a bit we usually get a nose up the backside as if to say, "Keep Moving BUD" :flip

I am beginning to suspect that she might not see these to situations as different. That might mean that we have to treat both behaviors the same.

On a related note:

I have noticed that she is VERY INTERESTED in all of the smells I bring into the house; especially after an ocean swim or surf session, a run or bike workout (Where I am really sweaty) but even after I have been sailing. (Salt Air Smell?)

She will sniff me all over before her curiosity is satisfied.....

Hmmmmmm NOW I know why no one ever comes to visit us! :rotfl We have your problem X 6!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest kkaiser104

This is interesting.

Teddi is a sniffer too--but I've been able to get him to stop by teaching "leave it" and rewarding. He's worse with men then he is woman, and after a year he only does it once in a while.

Good luck!

At least it's not what Zoe does . . . . .she "pleasures" herself. Even in mixed company :blush

Oh my! That *does* give me some perspective. :rofl

Patrick wasn't bad about this, but he managed to goose my MIL who was wearing nothing but a T-shirt. :lol

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Trammell

I am interested in the solution too, lol! Mine just slowly sneaks up on you from behind, so when you barely move you have a nose up your bottom. She then gets excited, we taught her not to jump on company, but she hops now, hehe. So it is nose in the butt + hopping. I giggle, but my mother does NOT think it is funny. Also, if she has a muzzle on when men come in, they get racked because she greets them head on with hopping :blush

It's not all the time but on occasion Hester can be a terrible "snarf". The worst part is that if there is a group of people he goes straight to the youngest, fittest (most attractive?) female. The first instinct is to laugh at my "ladies man" but it is just so embarrassing. I have made a point of being far away or looking elsewhere when he greets people so I don't have to deal with it. Yes I am an irresponsible owner but being part of a group of people all focused on my dogs nose and some young woman's crotch is too uncomfortable.

Fortunately he only greets people who say "hi" or "hello" or smile at him so they are dog lovers to begin with. With children he stuffs his nose in their ear/neck area and they giggle which he loves. He also like to stick his head into strollers to sniff babies and toddlers.

Funny thing, I don't mind at all if a strange dog wants to "check" me out. And if Hester wants to check me out I consider it an honour. He once stuffed his head right between my legs from behind as I was pulling up my trousers - he ended up inside my pants. It was the ultimate goosing. I fell forward onto my bed laughing with his head still stuck inside.

Funny thing, I don't mind at all if a strange dog wants to "check" me out. And if Hester wants to check me out I consider it an honour. He once stuffed his head right between my legs from behind as I was pulling up my trousers - he ended up inside my pants. It was the ultimate goosing. I fell forward onto my bed laughing with his head still stuck inside.

:rotfl Well, if nothing else, this thread has been very entertaining for me.

This is interesting.

Teddi is a sniffer too--but I've been able to get him to stop by teaching "leave it" and rewarding. He's worse with men then he is woman, and after a year he only does it once in a while.

Good luck!

"Leave it" is one command she hasn't really mastered inside or out yet, but I'll put more effort into it. I'm encouraged that there's at least one success story out there! But it's also been good to get confirmation that so many of us are in this embarrassing club together. :flip Bright side? She hasn't left snool on anyone's pants yet.