Good Poop, Bad Poop, What On Earth Was That Poop?

Maya (our 10 year old brindle bullet) has been having TERRIBLE (can I emphasize that more?) poops for a couple months. The first one of the day is usually good... and then we go downhill from there. Her second and third poop of the day are usually runny mush. A couple weeks ago, we had some poops (pardon the analogy) that were more similar to chocolate milk than poop. Yeah... TERRIBLE!!!!!

We haven't made any changes to her diet. For years, she's been on Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. When we adopted Ashe a year and a half ago, we slowly added in Blue Basics until we were at a 50/50 mix. Everything we going great. But over the last few months, it's just gotten worse and worse. So we eliminated the Blue Basics and went back to 100% SDSS, but we're still having the same types of problems.

We've added white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes... all the things that we know of that are to firm things up. We've tried probiotics, too, but nothing seems to settle her tummy down.

We've taken stool samples to the vet, and the tests have come back clear... no parasites. The vet's suggestion is that we may need to go to a prescription food to see if we can firm things up.

Does anyone have food suggestions, or ANYTHING else that might help us out?

Thanks in advance!!

-Joel

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

I'd try a couple weeks of metronidazole (flagyl; from your vet) first. Could be she has a little infection/inflammation, and that would treat it. If that doesn't work, then consider a different food :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'd try a couple weeks of metronidazole (flagyl; from your vet) first. Could be she has a little infection/inflammation, and that would treat it. If that doesn't work, then consider a different food :) .

We've tried that, too… probably three times in the past year. You can probably guess the result.

Keep the ideas coming! We're willing to try anything!

-Joel

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

I'd still want to know why, but in the mean time, have you tried beet pulp?

Could be she has developed a food sensitivity, so even going back to her former OK food won't help. Unfortunately, the only way to figure that one out is an elimination diet. That's long and slow!

aside from the flagyl has your vet given you either tylan powder or possible a round of panacur. maybe your dealing w/ giardia this time. also, have you tried eliminating the kibble and going w/ straight white rice and 1/3 boiled chop meat, feeding that until the stools look good and then slllllllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwly reintroducing kibble? that's what i do, my rice cooker(aroma brand w/ a timer) is my best kitchen applicance next to the microwave.

aside from the flagyl has your vet given you either tylan powder or possible a round of panacur. maybe your dealing w/ giardia this time. also, have you tried eliminating the kibble and going w/ straight white rice and 1/3 boiled chop meat, feeding that until the stools look good and then slllllllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwly reintroducing kibble? that's what i do, my rice cooker(aroma brand w/ a timer) is my best kitchen applicance next to the microwave.

Ditto.

Gidget recently had some digestive inefficiency. She can't take a full dose of metronidazole (flagyl) so we tried tylan powder instead. Bingo!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'd still want to know why, but in the mean time, have you tried beet pulp? Could be she has developed a food sensitivity, so even going back to her former OK food won't help. Unfortunately, the only way to figure that one out is an elimination diet. That's long and slow!

I'll have to search for elimination diet to learn about it. My wife is thinking that you go ingredient by ingredient in the food and slowly eliminate one, then the next, then the next, until you find the magic cure. Is this right?

I'd still want to know why, but in the mean time, have you tried beet pulp? Could be she has developed a food sensitivity, so even going back to her former OK food won't help. Unfortunately, the only way to figure that one out is an elimination diet. That's long and slow!

Beet pulp? I've never heard of that before. Is it literally beets? If so, I'm not sure Maya would go for it. She eats the white rice and potatoes just fine. Sweet potatoes aren't a favorite. She is definitely NOT a vegetable dog.

We'll give the white rice and boiled chopped meat a try. Would you just stay with chicken as a starter?

Also, for giardia, would that show up in a stool sample? Just curious if that's something that the vet would notice, or would it be glossed over while looking for parasites. I know it's not a worm parasite, but wouldn't it still show up? (Sorry I'm not more knowledgeable on this stuff.). I'll stop by the vet tomorrow to get her opinions on the panacur.

Thanks everyone!!

-Joel

Edited by IAMs

Rx Clay for diarreha. Start with a higher loading does and gradually go down to maybe every other day. I purchased mine online- had to google for it

Slippery Elm . purchase it in a powder form and mix with hot water to make a sort of pudding and squirt directly into the mouth by syringe 3 times a day while the problem persists. Once good poop is achieved reduce dose.

Good luck

both of these can be given long term without problem as far as I know

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Have you tried probiotics? If she's had several rounds of antibiotics, her intestinal flora could be out of balance (antibiotic killed out too much of the good bacteria). There's on call Fortiflora that I've read good things about. I would get a good one with live cultures. My bridge boy, Keno, always needed probiotics after any round of antibiotics to get his gut back in balance.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown