Murphy Has Lymphoma

Stage 4B. The liver and spleen are very swollen, the lymph nodes inside his body as well as some of those outside the body are grossly swollen, there's fluid in the abdomen. Liver values are off the charts high.

Please don't judge, but we've decided it's best for Murphy and our family not to try chemo, we'll be providing as much pallative care as we can along with Predison and spoiling him rotten while he's with us. The vet thinks we probably have a month or so with him.

I'm devastated. We adopted him because I wasn't doing well with Patrick's loss. Murphy went from one home where I think he wasn't all that well liked (bounced--I've met the lady) into another home who left him outside for a year and a half because they decided they didn't want him (what the guy told the adoption group volunteer who picked him up--he was severely underweight when they got him back. We've had him only about 2 months--it just doesn't seem fair that he finally found people who love him madly, and now this.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry, for both you and Murphy. I hope you can keep him very comfortable for whatever time he has left--and I very much hope that it's longer than the vet predicts. Please remember that however long he has, he at least knows that he's loved...

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest goofydog

What awful news for all of you. I am so, so sorry you are having to go through this so soon after bringing Murphy home. Make lots of memories, spoil him rotten and take pics til he won't let you get anymore. Hugs to you and wishing comfort for Murphy.

That is beyond unfair. I'm so sorry. I hope he has some good times with you yet -- you were the answer to his dreams, you know? And you will take care of him and love him for every moment he has.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. This is just so unfair. For both you & Murphy.

Love him like there's no tomorrow......spoil him for all of us, as well.

Prayers being said that Murphy has more time than expected to suck up all that love.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

:cry1 I wish he had found you sooner, but am so glad he finally found love. Cherish every day. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Murphy was meant to be with you. Don't think of his life as how many days remain. Each additional day is a gift - for you and for him. Please post a picture for us when you can.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry, Beth. Even though it's so unfair for you, at least he finally IS loved madly now--and will be until his time comes.

We didn't do chemo with Buddy, when he got lymphoma, either. No flames at all.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I am so very sorry. He lives in the moment and that moment is with you and it is wonderful. Wishing for many happy days for you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so sorry! I pray that you get at least as many good days as we had with angel Nikki. Prednisone gave us 90 days despite lymphosarcoma................and 83 of those days were really good days.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I'm so, so sorry to hear this. The only bright spot--for him--in all this is that he's with you rather than with his previous owner.

But I know it's going to be so hard for you. Hugs to you, kisses and scritches to your boy.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm so sorry you received this news. I hope you have many good days...you both deserve it.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am so sorry. He is so lucky to have found you and to be loved by you.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

I'm so sorry. Crap.

The only thing that is more anguishing than what you're going through is the thought of Murphy starting to feel sick all by himself, outside, alone. In this respect, he is a lucky, lucky dog.

:grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter