Getting Into The Car

Guest MistysDad

Guest MistysDad

We have a five year old male that we adopted last June. He is a little sweetheart in every way. He has adjusted nicely to us, his sister and our home. As soon as we mention the car he is the first one at the door. He loves being in the car and once in settles down nicely. Our problem is that he will not jump up into the car. We have tried putting in treats and tried teaching him to go up a doggie ramp. We finally have him to the point that he will put his front paws up on the car and that is where everything stops. We finally have to pick him up. 80 lbs. is a lot to carry. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

My biggest boys never jumped into the van. We used to lift them up into the truck. We tried steps and then Fuzzy had an awful accident and Len wound up getting bit several times trying to free him. They have used a ramp, but, for the truck, the angle is very steep. We did use the ramp for our trailer. Paul, on the other hand, was a top crate boy. I wonder if the bigger boys don't jump beause they never had too. Now in the van, I try to get them in from the side door. Have you tried a side door? You don't say what kind of vehicle you have.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest FinnsMom

Finn was like that when we first brought him home so he had to be lifted into the back of the Jeep, and then one day we opened the back and he just jumped right in. If there is snow, ice, or rain on the ground he won't jump though, so we have to heave his back end up and in. LOL

Micah refused to jump into the car until this year. He injured himself and we had to take him to the vet once a twice a wee for dressing changes. I parked the back of the suv on a downhill slant and used the harness on Micah. We walked on leash in a circle and when we approached the car I held his harness high and tight. He bumped his front legs the first time and I scooped him in....all of a sudden the lightbulb turned on and he got it! Now he jumps into the car wherever I park it and I can take him to the park for walks....what a difference it makes when they understand what you want. don't know if you tried the harness but I find it much better than his collar. I can direct him better, he understands what I want and is more relaxed. Maybe that would help u to get him into the car like it did for me.

What kind of car? Is it a high jump?

Forget using regular dog cookies as lures. Get some really good stuff.

I spent an hour helping a new adopter with the same problem. I think she'd only been using Milk Bones so I brought the doggy junk food - Snausages, Beggin Strips, cheese, chicken... We left the back hatch of the owner's PT Cruiser open, took a short walk, returned to the car, waved the good treat under the dog's nose - bingo! She wanted that junk food.

We repeated this over and over with the walk and treat inside the car until the dog knew that the car had really good stuff inside.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My girl didn't understand what I wanted of her. "HUP!" finally got her attention though I tried a few variations, "Load UP!" and "load" but hup works the best. First, I tossed her favorite stuffie in, and for the next few weeks also tossed in treats to help motivate her. I have a 2 door car, so she was really unsure of where to place her feet and how to get in. It took her a while --several weeks -- of placing her front feet on the back floor, tossing in a treat, and then helping her manage her backside in, but she got it. :)

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

With some dogs it works to open the door opposit the one you want him to get in and have the person call them with a treat. Doesn't work for all dogs but it has worked for some. Also using whatever word you use like for going for a walk "lets go" could help. Good luck.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Have you tried giving him a "running start"? What I do with kennel dogs: I first try all the obvious things (lure them with a cookie, put their paws on it, etc) then I bring them a little farther from the car, and get them to jog/fast walk towards the car, 85% have jumped right up when I give them a running start like that.

Guest IrskasMom

Since over a Year , my Morty does not jump in my SUV . He puts his front Paws on the Bumper and I grab his hindend and shuff him forwards in. No Treats or anything will make that Boy jump. On the other Hand my Morty has a BD coming up and he will be Nine .

Have you tried giving him a "running start"? What I do with kennel dogs: I first try all the obvious things (lure them with a cookie, put their paws on it, etc) then I bring them a little farther from the car, and get them to jog/fast walk towards the car, 85% have jumped right up when I give them a running start like that.

This.

I've seen this happen with new dogs, usually males, off the track and at their first M&G of our group. We walk them to the open/ready vehicle very quickly and without slowing down as the opening is approached, say "Hup" or "Kennel up" while lifting the leash in the air and forward. They usually get it.

Edited by Feisty49

My first grey, Sobe was the worst. The females all did just dandy - and most of the smaller males, but Sobe and a couple of the bigger boys were a pain. My neighbor, who trains horses, had me walk Sobe in tight circles near the open car doo,r then, at the turn of one of the circles, walk him into it. He put his feet in. Then he showed me how to loop the leash around his backside, just above then knees - and pull toward the car. The dog pretty much has to jump in - or collapse - he jumped in. It's a technique used loading horses into trailers all the time. Then praise of course. It got to the point after a while when his front feet were in - if the leash touched his back legs, he'd jump in. And I'd praise. Then it got so he'd put his front feet in, without circles, I'd gently touch the back of his legs, and he'd walk it. They CAN do it - some of them are just unsure about it and a firm hand does help. Sobe NEVER jumped into the back of the jeep, or even onto the back seat of my car. Walking into the floor, then up onto the seat was his way. And - he was a super rider when in - and loved rides.

I did try the treat thing first. That didn't work for this dog.

My first grey, Sobe was the worst. The females all did just dandy - and most of the smaller males, but Sobe and a couple of the bigger boys were a pain. My neighbor, who trains horses, had me walk Sobe in tight circles near the open car doo,r then, at the turn of one of the circles, walk him into it. He put his feet in. Then he showed me how to loop the leash around his backside, just above then knees - and pull toward the car. The dog pretty much has to jump in - or collapse - he jumped in. It's a technique used loading horses into trailers all the time. Then praise of course. It got to the point after a while when his front feet were in - if the leash touched his back legs, he'd jump in. And I'd praise. Then it got so he'd put his front feet in, without circles, I'd gently touch the back of his legs, and he'd walk it. They CAN do it - some of them are just unsure about it and a firm hand does help. Sobe NEVER jumped into the back of the jeep, or even onto the back seat of my car. Walking into the floor, then up onto the seat was his way. And - he was a super rider when in - and loved rides.

I did try the treat thing first. That didn't work for this dog.

Now my Diana - will BOLT for - and jump in an open car door - anybody's! She got loose from our yard one time - the leash-hook came loose as we were going for a walk - and tore off across a busy road - I couldn't keep up of course, but there were people standing near a minivan watching me chasing this crazy dog across the street and I yelled "OPEN THE CAR DOOR!" - they actually did - and she jumped in. When I finally got there, winded as heck - Diana was in the back of a minivan with 2 little kids in carseats! She was licking the kids faces, the kids were squealing in delight, and the parents were laughing! I can't believe they let my crazy dog in the car with their kids! But - they said they figured I knew what I was yelling so it would be OK.

Fred won't jump into the back of our CRV either. On his gotcha day, the leader of his adoption group -- a very no nonsense sort of lady -- ordered him to "kennel up!" and after a few repeats, in he jumped. He has learned to do stairs, and to run up and down the ramp into our yard, both of which initially terrified him, but I've only been able to get him to "kennel up!" a handful of times. What we do is this: I take his front paws and place them in the CRV, and then I take his rear legs by the part between his feet and his hock (I hope I am explaining this correctly) and lift them into the car. It isn't as bad as picking up the whole dog -- he weighs about 75 pounds. He likes riding in the car -- he just doesn't want to jump into it. I have to assume he once must have hurt himself getting into a car. He has seen Kimba, and now Henry, jump in so easily -- but it has absolutely no effect on him. Fred is a very stubborn character in every way, and I have basically given up on having him ever leap easily into the car, although I have seen him do it and I know he can. He just won't, and we are always in such a hurry to get where we are going that it's easier to help him in than to correct him. I am a bad mother! I can see his stubborn streak come out as soon as we approach the back of the CRV- he is so clearly saying, "I am KNOT jumping in there! Help me up, Mom!" Luckily for him, he is such a sweet dog that I forgive him his minor lapses, and hope that he forgives me mine.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Well, I am glad to see I am not alone! My first two greys, male and female, both jumped right into the back of the SUV always. My current male, at 82 pounds, will not in any way jump into the SUV. I have tried everything. He will not do a ramp either. Too scary! He will walk up to the back of the SUV, wait for me to put his front paws on the bumper and then I place one of my forearms under his belly and the other on his rump and lift him in. I refer to it as the 'boostamonty'. It really isn't that hard or heavy.

Just adopted a female - she jumps in no problem. I thought that would give him the idea to do so as well, but no go.

I was told females are kenneled on top and males on the bottom.

That why the girls all can get in the cars and males can't

Yah, I've understood girls are kenneled on top but not all girls will jump into the back of SUVs and not all boys won't. The president of my group is also a no-nonsense type woman (see Booker_Eye post above). I refer to it as taking no prisoners. She's got a heart of gold and brings up so many Greys for adoption, but she also takes no crap, so to speak, from the dogs. If she wants a dog to jump into the back of a SUV, the dog will jump! I've learned a lot from her.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest Clawsandpaws

Many greyhounds (and dogs in general of course, but I feel Greyhounds do this exceptionally will) take advantage of you. There are about 5 girls in our adoption kennel (our of 20 ish) who will NOT jump in their crates when I do turn out, but they will always do it for someone else!! They know that I will help them/give them cookies if they pretend they can't do it, well, NO MORE MISSES NICE GAL! :shakefinger After a few more turn outs, I expect those ladies will be jumping with all the grace their stubborn butts can muster!

They WILL jump if you are firm with them, as long as there are no medical/mental complications, there is no excuse for them not to do it, if they did it once,twice, etc, they can do it every time!

Yah, I've understood girls are kenneled on top but not all girls will jump into the back of SUVs and not all boys won't. The president of my group is also a no-nonsense type woman (see Booker_Eye post above). I refer to it as taking no prisoners. She's got a heart of gold and brings up so many Greys for adoption, but she also takes no crap, so to speak, from the dogs. If she wants a dog to jump into the back of a SUV, the dog will jump! I've learned a lot from her.

:nod

I definitely agree -- the fault is with me, not with Fred. If the leader from Forever Home Adoptions were here, I KNOW Fred would suddenly recall how to jump in the back of the car for her. I have honestly tried my toughest voice, pulling his leash steadily, everything I saw her do -- but for me, it just doesn't work. I suppose that from the first time I helped Fred in, he said to himself, I've got HER on the leash! But he is such a sweetheart, I can't be meaner to him than I tried to be and it just didn't work..

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Guest FreeholdHound

OSCAR MAYER BOLOGNA ... The miracle wonder lure.... Harry only gets a piece if he jumps in the car & now he'll practically pop the hatch himself to get in. Hoisting his 85lb fat buttocks up was getting really old.

Guest Trammell

Many greyhounds (and dogs in general of course, but I feel Greyhounds do this exceptionally will) take advantage of you. There are about 5 girls in our adoption kennel (our of 20 ish) who will NOT jump in their crates when I do turn out, but they will always do it for someone else!! They know that I will help them/give them cookies if they pretend they can't do it, well, NO MORE MISSES NICE GAL! :shakefinger After a few more turn outs, I expect those ladies will be jumping with all the grace their stubborn butts can muster!

They WILL jump if you are firm with them, as long as there are no medical/mental complications, there is no excuse for them not to do it, if they did it once,twice, etc, they can do it every time!

Are you speaking of anxiety about getting in the car? My girl (luckily not near 80lbs!) doesn't like car rides; she use to get sick until we got her a soft-sided crate. Anytime we walk near my car she does the turn the head away from the car and freeze or walk in the other direction (we joke that is is pretending it isn't there because that is exactly what it looks like "Car?? What Car??"). She won't accept treats near the car even; so I pick her up and put her in :)

Sorry OP, I have no advise; but you can cross squats off your gym list :P

Guest Giselle

Honestly, I find it rather appalling that some advice here is basically recommending coercing and forcing the animal to do something it clearly finds scary and aversive. Perhaps the reason why the dog complied the first 2 times and then has suddenly stopped performing the behavior is because coercion actually increased the scariness of the situation. Forcing an animal - ANY animal (especially people!) - to do something it finds naturally aversive will only make the aversion stronger. Don't force your dog to jump. Instead, teach him how to jump into the car through fun and exciting games. Make him enjoy the process. Don't make him hate it! That completely defeats the purpose of your training. Dogs are really intelligent creatures, but I strongly believe that we need to stop pretending they are human and have human-like qualities, such as deliberate disobedience and deliberate mischievousness. They aren't willfully disobeying us because we're "weak". Their behaviors are in large part due to emotional states and emotional motivations. So, since your dog (and many greyhounds, in my opinion) don't naturally like to jump, we have to teach them how to do it.

My greyhound, Giselle, for example, was not a natural jumper. If I placed a broom across the floor, she wouldn't even try stepping over it. It was like she didn't know she had the capability to jump! So what did I do? Instead of physically forcing her to jump, I had to TEACH her how to jump through shaping and positive reinforcement:

th_GiselleJump.jpg

First, you train the dog to simply walk through a target area on flat ground. Then, you place a little bar on the ground and reward the dog for stepping over it. Then, you raise the bar (literally and figuratively) and reward the dog for hopping over it. Then, you increase the height and reward for jumping over it, etc. etc. Finally, when the dog has learned how to jump, you can put a word to it, like "Over!" or "Hup!" or "Jump!", and use it for getting your dog to jump into the car. It really is that simple. It just takes patience, persistence, and practice.

Guest blueberri

We managed to get Sparky jumping into the backseat of the car without any hassle. Threw in his favourite toy when he was bouncy and motivated, lots of praise, repeated this a few times and it was done. He *loves* going in the car.

Unfortunately we then upgraded to an SUV, and Sparky's area is the boot. He's jumped up a few times, but he faltered one time and took the skin off the front of a leg on the towbar :omg He's lost his confidence now, as have I, because the next time I tried encouraging him to jump up exactly the same thing happened. He jumps down easily... and I just don't know if I can keep lifting a 30kg pup or if I should be reinforcing jumping up.

The other thing is, with his back issues we're supposed to avoid anything that would jar his lower spine. I don't know if this qualifies?