Spent The Night In Emergency..

Guest Nekos_Mommy

Guest Nekos_Mommy

We had an emotional day yesterday... Our 4 year old grey Neko was walking as if he were drunk yesterday morning and then collapsed completely. His gums were paper white so we rushed him to the local emergency clinic. An hour later tests start to come back and he appears severely anemic with Low white and red blood cells and bruising all over his chest and thighs. We did a coagulation test which proved that although neko's platelet levels were fine, he was having a very difficult time clotting blood. He stayed in emergency overnight to receive blood and plasma transfusions but the reason behind why he cannot clot is still a mystery. So far the potential diagnoses are von willebrands disease, autoimmune disease or cancer.

He is home now but is still bleeding from a coagulation test this morning. His legs are swollen from blood samples being taken and he is exhausted. Each time I walk over to inspect him I find a tiny pocket of blood on a different area of his body (sporratic bleeding.. he is not moving) and it terrifies me. He is being reffered to oregon state university tomorrow to try and pinpoint a diagnosis. I am so heartbroken watching my little man go through this, it feels so unfair that such a young dog is being faced with such awful diagnoses.

317712_10152638895915261_991380580_n.jpg

540956_10152638895955261_1786718256_n.jp

Edited by Nekos_Mommy

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would email Dr Kellogg at OSU. If he were my baby we would by on our way up to OSU in Columbus Ohio. We live in Tennessee but Neko is very sick. You could email her the photo's and lab work.

c
  • Christine Kellogg(christine.kellogg@cvm.osu.edu)

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Nekos_Mommy

Since his transfusion they said he's technically healthy enough to stay home although they said that they would keep him to make sure he's sedentary for the night again (but its already been $2k, he's a sedentary dog anyways so as long as they thought that he was healthy enough with the transfusions to he home we took him home) Thank god I have insurance for him (I'm a student so without insurance this whole process would have already bled me dry). If theres anyone who is on the fence about insurance, GET IT. I pay 40$ a month, have had it for 4 months and have already received $2,800 back from them (that would have otherwise come out of my pocket.)

I'll give the email a shot once I grab a copy of the bloodwork from the clinic

Guest alannamac

OMG poor baby. Is the vet trying aminocaproic acid to try to stop the bleeding while they figure out what's going on? Apparently it works well in greyhounds

Ohio State has more information. They have a big website and you can and or your vet can do phone consults. They have a group who specialize in greyhounds and

can give all sorts of good advice. The aminocaproic acid (AA amicar) is available at human pharmacies.

OMG poor baby. Is the vet trying aminocaproic acid to try to stop the bleeding while they figure out what's going on? Apparently it works well in greyhounds

Ohio State has more information. They have a big website and you can and or your vet can do phone consults. They have a group who specialize in greyhounds and

can give all sorts of good advice. The aminocaproic acid (AA amicar) is available at human pharmacies.

Most vets don't know about giving greyhounds Amicar. Look it up and take the info with you to the vet. Most also do NOT carry it in stock and need to order it. It will help him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

How frightening for you! I hope Neko's bleeding gets under control quickly and you find a manageable cause. I'll 2nd or 3rd the suggestions for amicar and an OSU consult.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

How scary! I'm so sorry. Definitely get in touch with OSU.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

oh my God!!! Sending many, many prayers for your beautiful boy! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway