Helping A Grey Overcome Shyness

Guest Sportingfields

Guest Sportingfields

I've a dear friend that is grey savvy but has just adopted a shy one (not spook). Would you point us to helpful sites that explain how to help them come out of their shell?

TIA

I've fostered many shy hounds, from mildly shy to freaked out by everything. Sambuca is right that patience is the key. It takes shy hounds a lot longer to really trust. I let my shy fosters have all the space they needed. I let them adjust to me at their own pace. I would hand feed some of the more shy ones, didn't make sudden moves around them and kept the noise to a minimum. One thing that is a MUST in my opinion with shy dogs is a harness for walks. I would always use the harness and two leashes. One on the harness and one on the collar. sort of a backup if they slipped the collar I still had them on the harness.

I love working with the shy hounds, when they give you their trust you will see the personality come out bigtime. They may never really be out going in public but with time and patience your friend will have a big time heart hound.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest greytmom_chi

Hello- Christel kindly put the topic here for me. I am adopting this guy, Luka (currently adoption pending): I've been having him in my house for 12 days so far. Before Luka came to my house, he was fostered by my friends house, along with their 5 greys, for 2 months. From the beginning he showed his timidness to them... and it took almost full 2 months to just "start" opening himself up. Then his environment again all sudden changed: a new house with a new human. I know 12 days must be nothing yet, as my friends took 2 months for him to "finally started" opening himself.

Few very specific things I'd like to get advice now.. 1) Yes, he is very timid of sudden noise and sudden action I make. Few days ago, he all sudden got scared to approach/step around the hallway in my house, as I made sudden motion one morning when we were about walking, as a result he was slammed to the entrance door (my falut)... since then he doesn't step into the hallway by himself. I have no idea how I can make the hallway area a safe place again for him. If I pull his collar and encourage him then he will come with me, though... 2) He often doesn't take treats from my hand. But if I approach him (usually he's laying on bed) and give him something with hand flat, then he does. Never took any treats outside. Today I first cook steak for him. Tried giving the pieces to him from my hand, and he was on his bed - he took them. I praise him, good Luka. I don't know when I really should praise him, not praise him.

Sambuca, and greg1229 - thank you very much for your advice. I tried harness for him but it turned really bad as he once got scared of going outside. I don't want to use it for him for now, just too much for me and him, at least at this point. I understand what you say - I am super cautious about holding the leash when we walk. Hand feeding - he was so used to take his meal from his bowl, since he was fostered by my friends' house. I decided continuing to do since day 1 here and he ate all, so I am continuing to do so. But now I started giving him about a quarter cup kibbles by my hand after he finishes his meal. He takes it.

I don't have any other dogs/cats, and I am living myself. I work weekdays, so he often has alone time. He has never had any accidents in house so far, but now he's so attached to his big dog bed in living room and he even doesn't greet me when I leave/I get home, since the "horror at the hallway" was happened. Lately, I often think I wish I could have another dog, or human then maybe the situation would be somehow different. Maybe not as you really cannot expect anything.

I guess I am so clueless what kind of positive/encouraging actions I can give him... If I don't do anything to him (like typing this on computer he just is laying on his bed. that is all) but I feel I should do something for him... just let him do whatever he does?

Sorry my post gets too long, but I have never dealt with this much shy/timid dogs before. I lost my first grey three months ago - She was very confident dog from the beginning, but very stubbourn so it was totally different challenge.

I guess I am so clueless what kind of positive/encouraging actions I can give him... If I don't do anything to him (like typing this on computer he just is laying on his bed. that is all) but I feel I should do something for him... just let him do whatever he does?

I have a very shy hound. We're coming up on two years together, and we have built an incredible bond, but it absolutely took time. To answer your question above, yeah, in the beginning, I would say just let him do what he needs to do to make himself feel secure (so long as he is still going outside for P&P and eating). Luna, my shy girl, let me know when she was ready to approach me. I let her go at her own pace, and once we built our trust in each other, I started to expand her comfort zone and bring her out of her shell bit by bit. Now, fastforward two years later, she is a total goon at home, and I love her company. She has even built a relationship with four other people; my parents and brother who we visit frequently as well as one of my good friends. She is still a disaster in public situations, and she may never get over that, but I am okay with that, so long as she is happy at home.

Good luck with your Luka, and keep asking questions, there are a lot of people here who can offer great advice from a lot of experience. I will say this, earning the trust of a shy hound and watching her blossom while we are together is one of the most rewarding things I have ever experienced!

ETA: If he is at all food motivated, reward any confident behavior with happy praise and a yummy treat.

Edited by schultzlc

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

For the hallway fear, start throwing treats in the direction of the hall and gradually get closer and closer to the hall. This can take minutes, hours, days or weeks depending on the extent of the fear. You progress closer when hes getting comfortable going to the area where you've been throwing the treat even without the treat.

All suggestions above are excellent. Reverting back to shyness in a new home is normal. Any willingness on Luka's part to accept hand-feeding is excellent.

- Avoid direct eye contact while Luka is getting used to you.

- Usually good to leave new dogs alone while they are on their bed.

(In your case, giving him treats is probably okay, but usually good to allow their own private "safe" space.)

- Don't pet him on his head (can be threatening to dogs). Only pet him if he's standing up. Okay to offer him a brief gentle pet on his shoulder/side as you're walking away from him, immediately thereafter, okay to quietly say good boy. Don't lean over him. (Reaching or leaning over dog = threatening behavior in dog language.)

As Sambuca mentioned, toss (high value) treats on floor, gradually tossing closer to hallway, then into hallway slowly over time.

Important human behavior tips:

1. If you're physically able to sit on a pillow on (or near the floor) in same room with Luka (or next room), but with a lot of distance between you both -- sit with your back towards Luka while you simply ignore him. Read a book, work on computer or whatever to keep yourself occupied. Avoid direct eye contact. Yawn often. Be careful not to make sudden moves. Do this activity daily for as long as you can. Good to occasionally toss treats on the floor behind you - in his direction but far away from you. Eventually, if he decides he wants to approach you (for food), hold treats in your flat, open hand behind your back - without facing him.

2. After a few days, begin sitting sideways (so he can see part of your face), yawn often and begin licking your lips. Still ignore him - no direct eye contact. This is helping him learn he can relax in your presence, he will slowly begin to feel more trust, and will feel that you won't scare or harm him.

3. After he begins to "trust" you more and he feels more comfortable:

Try to entice a little bit of play behavior. Try crawling (on all 4's) across floor, away from Luka, then you roll over on your back, while covering your face, and make high-pitched whimpering noises. If he comes to investigate you, toss yummy treats nearby on floor for him to eat. Later, very gradually, begin to add a quiet, gentle, happy tone of verbal praise after he spends more time investigating you.

Again, don't do any sudden movements. This is an extremely important exercise to practice now in case he ever gets loose outside in the future. You are building his trust to come to you. (Only safe and good things should happen every . single . time he approaches you.)

Outside walks:

- Ensure Luka's collar is snug enough that you can't get it over his ears without having to really "work it" off.

- Tie a knot in your leash handle so it fits closely to your wrist, then wrap leash several times around your wrist and hand to ensure leash isn't dropped by mistake. Stay alert to his reactions.

- If he begins to shy at something, say "let's run" (or whatever cue) then quickly jog past whatever might scare him, or turn in the opposite direction and jog away.

- If you're not using 2 leashes (one with harness), it's smart to add a carabiner loop from the leash to the collar as a secondary lock attachment. (I've had standard leash snaps open/fall off collar ring several times before.)

I completely agree with Greg re: harness + collar for new, shy dogs. I understand if a bad harness experience scared Luka too much. As soon as you think Luka is able to handle it, place harness on him only while he is supervised inside your home, so he can begin to get used to the feel of it. Eventually you can attach the leash for guiding him around a room (while rewarding with treats). There are different types of harnesses. He might feel better in one style vs. another.

Exercise is a great stress reliever for dogs when they are in an environment in which they feel comfortable.

If a friend's calm Greyhound is available to visit with you both on a regular basis, it could help Luka adjust.

Try not to place him in situations that are overstimulating too soon. Take very slow baby steps. Luka is a lucky boy to be living in your wonderful calming home. I imagine he will soon begin warming up and trusting you more than anyone ever in his life. As others have mentioned, shy dogs are the most rewarding bond ever! :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Greyt advice above...only comment I'll add for Greytmom_chi is that licking lips and yawning are calming signals that dogs perform, often when anxious and trying to send out calming signals by licking lips and yawning.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest greytmom_chi

Dear schultzlc (that is lovely to know your grey's name is Luna and my boy's Luka), Sambuca, and 3greytjoys, and greytpups, Thank you all very much for your advice. Oh my... that is a lot for me and many things are so new to me, honestly....

- I actually did (I have to confess... often) did put my face to his face pretty close. Yes he yawns often, then... Oh god, why I continue doing so. I knew he was not comfortable but this was my previous "habit" to my 1st grey... then she kissed my face which I loved. These "past habit" actually are very difficult to get rid of. I will be careful from now.

- I knew he often yawns and licks his lips (as a result both sides of his mouth colored kinda brown (he has white coat around there - he's a cow dog) because he's been licking around there too often. I must admit that I have been making him pretty nervous. :(

- And I also have to confess I pet on his head often... oh my goodness. I did when he was laying on his bed... petting on his head and touching his ears. :( I will be careful about this from now... Thank goodness I have never leaned over him.

- Last night I cooked steak and tried giving him piece by piece from my hand (hand flat) - He must've smelled good and was waiting nearby kitchen where his another bed is located. He took pieces from my hand. After he took several pieces, then I made my "motion" as I moved - then he became confused, I believe - and walked away to his bed. I went to his bed with the steak and I gave rest of pieces to him on his bed. Is this okay...? Then I did a kind of loud (as I must've been excited) "good boy" "good Luka" which I probably should've not been have.

- That was good to know I shouldn't sit in front of him... because of the room setting, it's difficult for me to sit behind him, in fact. But what I usually do is, I am sitting next to him when I am using my computer, as the coffee table somehow hide his face from my direction, so I can see his body but face. On couch - I am trying not to see his face, then. (again I cannot sit behind him because of the setting.) avoiding direct eye contact should be another thing I have to be careful about. He doesn't do often yet, in fact, but I somehow am probably forcing him to do... when I call his name, I see his face, etc and if he sees me I say good boy. well, it might not be appropriate at this point, right? I can tell he is still uncomfortable with but I also didn't know simply this was not supposed to do. :(

- I think I can visit my friends house where Luka stayed for 2 months. They have 5 greys but all of them know him as he knows them and the house. Or I have another friend who has 2 very calm greys. I strongly feel I think I better make something "interaction" with other greyhounds for Luka... I know like 3greytjoys told me I really have to do these steps little by little with patient, though...

Now he really doesn't move from his bed wherever I go, unless I call his name few times (even so, he stops on a halfway and often goes back to the bed). In the beginning he always greeted me in front of the door when I leave, and when I get home. (as I mentioned earlier.) Now of course the horror was happened that must be the biggest reason, but even, lately I found out he even doesn't come close to greet me when I get home. He stands up, looking at the direction where I am, and then he again lays on his bed. Is this good thing? Or just time will resolve? I feel I am so ignored which I think I should not think of.

I know I have to understand Luka is different. Tend to compare how my angel girl was is always so easy to be happened. Adjusting MYSELF as well with new behaviors towards Luka must be the biggest challenge I am facing right now. Believing progress is so hard to believe, to be honest. It's been only 13 days with him, but I am so easy to be discouraged by current situation. I know he is such a gentle giant (he weighs 80+lbs), just so much afraid of everything.

Peggy was/is shy but everyone on here said to be patient and they were right. She is gradually getting better and we have only had her for 2 months. Just let yours get on with it and settle in without getting too all over her, and take things slowly. Also give him a routine, as this might help him to feel more stable if he knows what will be happening roughly each day.

I'm sure in a few weeks he'll be a lot more settled :)

You've gotten good advice here. Just wanted to say that the shy ones are really some of the MOST rewarding dogs in the long run. Henry was super shy bordering on fear aggressive when he first came home. It took a lot of time and patience, but he truly became my heart dog. There's just something special about them. I'll probably always adopt shy greyhounds. :)

I, too, love working with the shy dogs. Have two right now that I've had for 3 years and believe me, I'm still learning little things that work/don't work with them. Don't stress over things you unwittingly did because you didn't know differently. You do know now and can use your new knowledge to help Luka move forward. Our dogs are incredibly forgiving. The shy ones just take a little longer to get over it.

You're doing fine, and the fact that you love Luka enough to come looking for advice, and to pay attention to his reactions to things, puts you miles ahead of most dog owners. Keep on loving him and be patient with him and all will come right, you'll see. And thank you for caring enough to take on a shy dog. They so often get overlooked and yet they can be the best companions with just a little extra work.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

- I went to his bed with the steak and I gave rest of pieces to him on his bed. Is this okay...?

- That was good to know I shouldn't sit in front of him... because of the room setting, it's difficult for me to sit behind him, in fact. But what I usually do is, I am sitting next to him when I am using my computer, as the coffee table somehow hide his face from my direction, so I can see his body but face. On couch - I am trying not to see his face, then. avoiding direct eye contact should be another thing I have to be careful about. He doesn't do often yet, in fact, but I somehow am probably forcing him to do... when I call his name, I see his face, etc and if he sees me I say good boy. well, it might not be appropriate at this point, right? I can tell he is still uncomfortable with but I also didn't know simply this was not supposed to do. :(

Now he really doesn't move from his bed wherever I go, unless I call his name few times (even so, he stops on a halfway and often goes back to the bed). He stands up, looking at the direction where I am, and then he again lays on his bed. Is this good thing? Or just time will resolve? I feel I am so ignored which I think I should not think of.

I know I have to understand Luka is different. Tend to compare how my angel girl was is always so easy to be happened. Adjusting MYSELF as well with new behaviors towards Luka must be the biggest challenge I am facing right now. Believing progress is so hard to believe, to be honest. It's been only 13 days with him, but I am so easy to be discouraged by current situation. I know he is such a gentle giant (he weighs 80+lbs), just so much afraid of everything.

The exercises I suggested are meant for very, very shy dogs (aka: spooks), but work well for average new shy dogs (like Luka) also. Don't worry if you don't do these things exactly. You are getting the general idea, and dogs are forgiving. ;)

Just to clarify, I did not mean for you to sit behind Luka. (That would be too scary for Luka because Luka does need to be able to see/watch your body (just not your direct eye-to-eye contact). I just meant for Luka to be able see/watch your back or the side of your body, from Luka's perceived safe distance away. It's okay if that doesn't work in your room setting. The table/computer blocking part of you is fine.

The scary part from a new (shy) dog's perspective is seeing the full front of a human with full face and direct eye contact. (Generally, it's good for people to approach any new dog with human's body turned slightly sideways, and without direct eye contact. = Less threatening body language to dogs.)

Shy dogs adjust well in their own time when human goes about their own daily business. This way the dog begins to feel safer just watching how their new person and new home works on a daily basis. Please remember that Luka will warm up and begin to feel more comfortable with you. He will learn to love you and become more affectionate in his own time. That's our magical reward to see dogs learn to trust, so they begin to feel safe enough to let their wonderful true personality shine through and grow.

Still good to limit bed interactions, but in your specific case, it's okay to occasionally toss a treat (or briefly kneel down at extended arms length away to offer high-value meat from your flat-open hand), only while he is clearly wide awake and perched upright on his bed. Still best to not pet him on his bed, and not hover close to him while he's on his bed. Allow space between you both during these earliest days/weeks so he can watch you from his safe space. Good to offer an occasional treat when you are sititng down at your computer too. He may be more willing to approach you eventually while you are seated.

Excellent to call his name and toss/offer him treats if/when he looks at you, or comes to you. It's fine to say a gentle "good boy" when he visually connects with you. (Just don't smother him with too much physical attention yet. He's not used to that behavior from humans yet. Baby steps. ;))

Many Greyhounds are too scared to walk on hard surface (slippery) floors. If your hallway is hard floor (wood, tile, linoleum, etc.), please place old rubber-backed bath mats, or a runner rug with a rubber gripper mat underneath an area rug to help Luka feel "safe" walking through the hallway. Any dog that slips on a floor is much more hesitant to walk on the scary floor again without added security of a rug. I completely understand your feelings of being ignored during arrival and departure greetings. (That can be a good thing with some other types of dog personalities.) If Luka greeted you at the door before, just understand it was a situational door episode that scared him. It wasn't you personally. Yes, I agree to try not to think of it as him ignoring you, remember Luka is new to your home and his reactions today are not permanent. He will change dramatically for the better in 3 weeks, 3 months, and throughout his life with you.

Our (initially) shy and super-reserved Greyhounds now adore us and are sooo much more loving and affectionate. One of our most super shy hounds is now the most loving lap dog you could imagine. She was completely petrified of everything new during the earliest months. She refused to walk inside the house on her first day home. During her first month, she would run upstairs to get away from a squeaky toy downstairs. Now that she trusts humans, and understands her retired life, she's the sweetest love sponge ever, and is happy as a clam on walks, etc. Same with our shy fosters, they've all warmed up after they adjust to their new people/homes. They are our greatest gifts. Mangos_mom is right, you're doing great and you are miles ahead of most dog owners because you are open to helpful advice. Everyone has offered great advice, and Luka is in a wonderful home! :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest greytmom_chi

Hi again, thank you all very much for your kind advice... especially for 3greytjoys, your kind detailed response is greatly appreciated. Luka's memory of the horror of the hallway incident is getting to be better, believe it or not. Then today new "totally unexpected thing" turned to become my new unexpected challenge. While he is waiting for his meal, he lay on his another bed nearby kitchen. So, tonight- dinner was ready and I called his name (gently) and he tried getting up. Then since the bed was on the hardwood floor (yes, it is...) the bed was slipped because of his action, then he also became a bit off-balanced and he slipped. Totally unexpected and I was upset what happened, to be honest with you. Okay, now the path from the bed to the meal bowl+water bowl has become scared place for him. He somehow ate his dinner, but he left few so I grabbed them and tried hand-feeding nearby the bowls. Of course he didn't come to me and turned his head to his another bed... Oh my.

Please accept all of detailed stories and a lot of questions here but I really want someone to listen. Now, should I move the bowls to different place? I have to see how he will do tomorrow morning, but in fact he is not approaching water bowl tonight after meal, at all. Well, maybe you guys can say moving the place will be temporary solution but I eventually want to keep the meal place there. But for now I better change its location...

3greytjoys, yes my place is a 1bed room condo with hardwood floor in living room, dining space and hallway is tiled. Bedroom is full-carpeted. Hallway - I place several placing mats. When the "horror" happened I placed another one to hide the tiles completely then Luka saw "the difference" and he didn't even come there. Then I removed the additional one and now I am gently guiding him to the area when we are ready to go for walk. Since living room & bedroom is just a step away he can move one by one really quickly (that has been what he does.) He is getting used to my gentle command to guide the hallway and I am glad he is. (well it may be temporary again. who knows...) but today i had this another "horror at the kitchen area"....

By the way, today I ordered another harness for Luka. it's different style/material than what I have here now. After few more weeks from now, I'd like to see if he can be ready trying it on.

I was able to hear many of great advice and encouragement here... but SO hard not to be discouraged. I'm trying keep up myself, and trying to move on, though.

Slipping does scare them. Good if you're able to place Luka's bowls near his bed temporarily, so he doesn't feel extra fear of walking across the hard floor to his bowls.

Cheap, long runner rugs (+ rubber rug grippers underneath) on your hard floors where Luka needs to go will be most helpful now and long term. If you're not able to afford runner rugs from a cheap home center store or thrift store, consider asking your adoption group if their members have extra runner rugs to donate (or loan) for Luka. Another cheap possibility is indoor/outdoor rug material (can be cut off a roll in desired lengths). Again, made with non-slip underside, or add separate rubber rug grippers.

All our Greyhounds are much safer since we added 7'-8' long x 2' wide runner rugs. That's all they need to feel secure walking safely and comfortably inside the house.

Guest grey_dreams

Just wanted to add, that you really need to place some safe carpets/rugs around on essentially all of the laminate (wood) and tile floors. Luka has already been spooked/injured twice because of the floor, and that will only increase his anxiety. They can injure themselves badly if they slip on laminate/tile floors. Please get some larger area rugs to cover the floors and some rubber-backed runners to lead from one area into another, so that all the floor where Luka will walk will be safe. It will really help both him and you.

Please don't get discouraged. Just know that it will take a bit longer for Luka to settle in, but the bond you will form will be very special.

Guest greytmom_chi

3greytjoys and grey_dreams, thank you for your response. I will get extra runner rugs. I got few but I now know it is not enough. I am ok with purchasing them by myself which is no problem. Can I ask you guys advice for one more thing? (well I know I will have more anyway!) - about car riding. How am I able to make him to get in/off the car easier.

Luka absolutely doesn't know how to jump on/off. well I have to say when he stayed at my friends house, he was able to jump in. I believe it was because they had secured indoor garage and they always let their pups in without leash, or any other restrictions... and of course, he saw what other did. Now I have only outside parking lot with him leash on. I have a hatchback car (matrix) and first, tried opening hatchback then he hesitated because of I think, height, and for sure uncertaintity for him. Then I did the same thing from the back side door. I did put his 2 front legs in the car, then I lifted him rest of the bodies/back legs to push then he somehow did. I tried 3 times of car-ride thing with him in past 14 days. He has 80+lbs and I realized how heavy he was... (my girl who past away was about 60lbs and I could lift her much easier- and she learned it very fast so I no longer needed lifting etc. for her) and I am afraid of if I will do this method in long time period.

Then when he needs to jump off from the car, he doesn't because I think he is too scared to do. I encouraged him many times, then he eventually does- I pull his leash as well.

Overall this probably doesn't related exactly because he is timid - I know in general male greys probably have more challenge to do this action, "jumping on/off" than females. Or maybe I need to know something about this because his timidness.

What is your opinion, and advice? And of course, if there are any good tips/advice from others, I'd like to hear.

Thank you.

Edited by greytmom_chi

Guest grey_dreams

I have heard that at the track, females are often placed in the top crates whereas the larger males are placed in the bottom crates. So the females have to learn how to jump up into the top crates. Luka is a big boy so he certainly only lived in the bottom crates. That may be one reason why your girl was fine with jumping in and out of the car. Also please remember that Luka hasn't been with you for very long, he is feeling overwhelmed with everything, and it will just take him longer to be comfortable with everything. You will get there, so just relax and remain patient (because he can feel your emotion if you are upset or impatient), and try as much as possible to enjoy learning everything along with him. Celebrate each small step along the way, and before you know it, he will be a pro at everything :)

Agree with posts above. Initial hatchback training using different smelly high-value treats tossed in car so Luka smells and sees them. A lot of different options below:

1. Some people back their car up to a slight hill incline (in driveway or against low grassy hill next to parking lot) so car's rear-end is closer to ground level for dog to practice entering/exiting. Offer gentle, happy praise and treats for each action.

2. If you prefer to leave car in level parking space "as is"...

Some dogs prefer a running start to jump in. Open hatchback, toss in smelly treats, take 5-10 steps back, then jog with Luka towards open car. Great if Luka jumps right in. :)

3. Open side door of car.

Pull front seat forward (including front seatback folded forward). Ensure the middle floorboard area is empty so Luka has plenty of space to step onto floorboard of car to enter. Once he's inside, he will probably figure out to take another step up to main hatchback area.

(The car would appear more open (less like a scary enclosed box) by opening the opposite side door to the outside also.)

4. Open hatchback - Enlist help from a Grey savvy friend to hold Luka's leash while you get inside the car from front door (allowing Luka full space in hatchback area). Call Luka inside while friend jogs Luka into open hatchback.

5. Enlist a friend's Greyhound to show Luka how it's done in Luka's new car. :)

6. If all else fails, keep doing the front paws up, then back paws up until the "feeling" clicks in that he can do a running jump next time, or borrow a dog ramp or dog steps from someone.

--

Practicing exits could be the same re: backing up to little hill or berm, or using a ramp or steps.

I keep old thick orthodedic dog beds to use as a landing platform when hounds are exiting the car. I'm careful to secure dog bed with my foot so it doesn't slide.

Every dog is different so it's hard to know Luka's reactions to these methods. Keep sessions short <5 minutes so he doesn't overstress. If he doesn't "get it," try again another day.

BTW, if you have bedding (like a blanket) in the back of the car that slides around, you might consider replacing it with something more secure for a moving vehicle. (Two orthopedic 4" thick dense foam beds wedged together fit perfectly wall-to-wall in our SUV crossover. The level, dense foam is fairly secure footing for Greyhounds.)

Guest greytmom_chi

Hello, thank you again (and again...) for each of your advice. Yes, I knew these male dogs didn't have experiences to "jump" as most of them crated on the bottom crates in their racetrack kennel life. I did try yesterday- yes same thing happened but I guess all I need is... again, patience. I tried high-value treats and squarkey toys but they didn't work (so far). However, once he rides in, I give him his fav bullystick and he somehow enjoys.

I purchased several extra runner rugs yesterday, and now my place is filled with them. :) Even this part, it's really silly to say but for me such a huge different transition... as my angel Kei totally adapted these floors from the Day 1, and even after she became a tripod. (except few weeks after amputation.) Overall things that make my emotions swinging must be just from lack of my experience... I know.

Also, I was advised that I better trim Luka's nails with appropriate length. Yes... they were long :( I was too afraid of giving him nail trimming but I did yesterday, by giving treats with gentle "good Luka." He was nervous but was a good boy. I was able to trim all of them and now it's much better.

He's now becoming okay to step into the hallway when we go for walk. He gently wags when he is getting ready for walk. On the other hand, now he really doesn't wake up to greet me... once I say "I'm home, Luka" gently, then I see he gets up from his bed and looks at me. Right- he really doesn't show any of separation anxiety etc., which is great, though. Feeding area became again for Luka to be "ok" place for him (I believe giving pieces of steak there and additional rugs helped) but now he is changing his mood for eating... still learning how/what he wants...oh well, taking time, and taking time...

3greytjoys and others kindly shared your wonderful experience... It is just really, really hard to believe at this point, for me if Luka will become a lap dog but I really hope he will become.

Next weekend the personal dog/human trainer (whom I know - She gave several trainings for me and Kei in past) will visit my house. It will be for most likey, ME. I guess what she will give me might be pretty much overlapped what each of you suggested me here, but I just want someone to see in person what I am encoutering right now and to give me some encouragement.

Guest greytmom_chi

I think my response was posted just the same time you did- 3greytjoys! Thank you so very much. I am placing an old dog bed (costco's big round one) and few small ones... in fact, these are what Kei used. the round bed is kinda thick so that bed probably makes the room height narrower... maybe that makes Luka scared. the two seats on the back in my car is now all flat and I am using fully-flat-opened seat hanmock to lock each corner end, then placing non-slip placing mats on it so the stuff on the placing mats don't slip- several blankets and the round bed is on that. i found the hanmock is useful as it covers these "spaces" between the flat-seats and the two front seats (as Kei used to slide/step into the spaces and she was sandwiched between the spaces and the flat-seats... had hard time to get out from there... it was kinda scary) That was my old lesson. but maybe I think I better make the room more spacey.

And I think I better prepare a chunk of steak (not pieces...) when I do this. And I will try these things above that you advised. I may need some friends "physical" help. (I really wish I could ask you for this...!)

Thank you very much.

Yea, happy to read Luka is walking on your new rugs! :) He should continue to feel much more confident moving around the house with secure carpet under his paws. (Funny, I almost mentioned to check his nail length, but didn't want to overwhem you with one more thing. Glad to know they're trimmed now.) During the coming days/weeks continue with gentle rewards when he shows interest in you.

Quick comments re: car

If you're giving Luka a bully stick to encourage him to jump inside the car, please be careful to not let him eat while the car is moving. They can be a choking hazard, more so in a moving vehicle. Yes, bites of meat (tripe or soft smelly treats) are great for car entry/exit practice (if you don't want to wait for him to finish a bully stick).

The back half of our SUVs looks like a flat mattress. Flat, dense foam fits wall-to-wall and offers some stability in a moving vehicle. (Some dogs have trouble keeping their balance on overly pillowy beds, especially if driver hits the breaks suddenly.)

Here's a similar example (ours were reasonably priced from a foam/futon store). Costco often sells an orthopedic foam dog bed in summer.

http://www.amazon.com/Orthopedic-Microsuede-Waterproof-Memory-inches/dp/B003VEX6HQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361881972&sr=8-5&keywords=dog+beds+memory+foam

I'm so sorry about your recent loss of Kei. I can tell she was a very special girl. I'm glad Luka is there to help keep you company now, and you're patiently helping him learn to trust and eventually feel love. It's a heartwarming experience.

Glad you'll have a trainer coming in person. Please let us know how it goes. Yes, it would be great to pop over in person! :)

Guest greytmom_chi

Happy Friday all... 3greytjoys, thanks much again for your response on the other day. The additional rugs have been making Luka's life easier than before, although what he does almost all day long is just laying on his bed in the living room. When I call him from my bedroom, then shortly after he comes. When calling his name, he turns his head to the direction. (still sometimes fails, though). This is the thing I have to say, "adjusting tiny bit by bit"… It's been 19 days since he came to my house. He likes his pieces of steak treats. I give them when I get home and when we get home from walk. I am not sure if that became a routine for him, but he takes it. I am trying to do everything gently and quietly but sometimes I can't, then he doesn't like it. He yawns, and licks around his mouth. Right, it's still too early to tell anything, I know, I know…

Car Ride- just because my living situation, so far only I can do (the easiest way) I am putting his two front legs on inside the car then I lift rest of his body and push him, then he moves into the car. Yes he's heavy but this solution is so far the most easiest way for me. I will try different thing when I will be able to get someone's help, etc. Yesterday I had to take him for a ride then I prepared boiled chicken for the reward. I didn't toss the chicken when he tried getting into (just I forgot) but he seemed to be happy to get the chicken afterwards. At least I am hoping this consistent "activity" will help for Luka to understand what "car ride" means.

Last night, I had to do a dog-sitter for my dear friends' greyhounds (they have 5). That house is actually where Luka lived before he came to my house! Luka seemed to be very happy to see them again. What really surprised me (well i probably should've expected but kinda a bit shocked :( ) was he showed me different self there. I know he still remembers there - and his friends. They have fenced yard so I took everyone to potty several times. Then their house rule is, after the potty everyone gets treat. Luka was one of them, eager to have the treat, with helicopter tail-wagging. I have never seen such "exciting" Luka yet at my house. (I gave him the treat first all the time. :) ) But good thing I realized was, as I make move - going somewhere in the house out of their sights, then Luka was the one who came to me and follows. While we were lounging, I called his name - and he looked at me. He must have been just, really happy to see them.

Obviously, he likes being with other greys (I think every single grey does). My current living situation doesn't allow to have more than 1 dog so far. Well, I think that is NOT what I should concern right now- I still really don't know how my relationship with Luka will progress, and how Luka will be able to open himself, right? Then, how about kitties? Have you guys have any experiences that kitties help greyhounds to open up their personalities? Or good story about living with grey with kitty?

The reason why I started thinking of this, and wanted to ask you were - at their house (my friends) they have several kitties living together with the greys. One of the kitties is so friendly and snugge-ly - I just so adore him. I was not a "kitty-person" and I didn't think I would be but now I am thinking if I will get that-type of kitty (loves humans, snuggles and want to be close to humans, etc) it would help our situation as well? Another thing is, he is able to get a companion, even though it would not be another greyhound...

I have no idea. If someone has something experience, or your opinion, I'd like to hear. Or maybe I just better stay with only Luka for now, at least until we will see something positive "breakthrough."

Tomorrow morning, we will have very first training session. I am looking forward to, at the same time, I am a kind of nervous. I just really hope Luka will not be too afraid of anything...

Edited by greytmom_chi