What's This Bump? Vet Visit?

Guest EvanstonGrey

Guest EvanstonGrey

Hi all!

I found this weird bump on Fika's foot today, pink and hard - about the size of pencil eraser. Doesn't seem to bother her when I touch it and she's otherwise just fine...

This is actually the first hound health issue that's not poop or pee related that we've run into so far and I'm stumped. My guess is just leave it alone unless it changes/hurts her and bring it up with the vet if it's still around when she goes for shots in March?

Any ideas?

These aren't the best pics, but I hope you can tell what I mean.

photo1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

I'd keep an eye on it for a bit.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

*Probably* a benign histiocytoma or similar. If it gets bigger or changes in appearance, get the vet to have a look. That said, benign histiocytomas often get bigger and can get pretty ugly looking, so don't panic if it does. ETA: They usually go away on their own but it can take a long while.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EvanstonGrey

Ahhh, just googled that, it does look similar - and you are right, they can look pretty gnarly. I can certainly take her in, my vet already thinks I'm a nervous mom anyway :)

Looks like a histiocytoma to me. Beth developed one (near her armpit) in August that looked small and flattish like that, then after a while it puffed up and got bigger, then several weeks later it began to shrink and went away (from start to finish within three months, like most sites say online). You can get a cytology done at the vet to reassure yourself. It's never silly to get a bump checked.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest kkaiser104

I vote histiocytoma as well. Here are some pics of Teddi's (that almost resulted in a toe amp...):

This is when I started to get worried...

8092475395_b984c95d45.jpg
Untitled by Katelyn Kaiser, on Flickr
then it herniated...
8152099517_2090aa510d.jpg
Teddi was KNOT happy
8140867813_6eddf02cde.jpg
Dr. Kellogg and I decided to watch it before decided about a toe amp
8169682207_19630cb74c.jpg
A week or two after it herniated
8206350673_ffc850bc00.jpg
Now you can't even tell! I think they're usually not a big deal, though it can be really scary as they grow and if they herniate!

Guest EvanstonGrey

oh man, poor teddi! i'm so glad it's gotten better! that first photo does look like a bigger, more raised version of my girl's bump.

thanks for the pictures and all the great advice - will keep you guys posted :)

Franny had one of those. It eventually ruptured and went away. It has never come back.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

That's good!! Don't be too freaked if it gets worse before it gets better -- Beth's did. Big and UGLY for a few weeks. Although few of them rupture and cause all the trauma like the one did with Teddi. But it's kind of magical to watch how they eventually shrink and disappear.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad