Spider Bite?

ivon

Spud is my klutz, he tends to run into things, twigs, branches, and who knows what else. There is almost always a little puncture wound on him, and most are no big deal, heal on their own. Sunday he was acting a bit slower than normal, and walked down the ramp into the yard kind of wonky. Since I figured he wants to run up and down the fence barking at neighbors dogs, I called him back. Too late, he had already wiped out, but came right back in, however, dripping blood from a small hole on the inside of his leg, that's when I noticed another one, same leg, on the outside. That was not bleeding though, and may have been a few days old. Suddenly his leg starts swelling, about twice the normal size.....and blood is drip, drip, dripping. Nothing big enough to need stitches, and no gusher, just a slow drip. I decided to keep an eye on that, by the next morning he could barely walk, and I called the vet to get pain meds. An hour later, he looked so much worse, I call them back to say we are coming in, and if I have to carry him. I did have to help him a lot, carried him in his Webmaster harness more than he walked. The vet cleaned it up, decided no stitches are needed, we did x-rays just in case, and they sent us home with Rimadyl, Tramadol and anti-biotics. This morning he walked better but the holes looked worse, still oozing and bleeding....The vet wanted to let it heal out in the air, and normally I subscribe to that school of thought, but this morning I wrapped a Kotex and vetwrap around his leg. After a few hours at work I got nervous that he may still be bleeding, so I told my boss I'm going home to check on my dog. At first he seemed better, a bit more mobile, but than I removed the bandage from this morning.....It looked like his skin is a panty hose with a run, the holes had gotten even bigger, I could see muscle, back to the vet. They cleaned it all out real good and bandaged him. Vet thinks it may have been a spider bite, this will get worse before it gets better. He is to come in daily for bandage changes and check-ups. Poor Spud, he is 11, he doesn't need this, and I am scared, how much more skin can he lose? They can't stitch it together, the skin just disappeared.....

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

She does, but I don't, does a spider bite start bleeding right away? I think he ran into a twig, at least with the one that I noticed was bleeding to begin with. Now, both are bleeding and oozing fluids, nasty stuff, and scary, when will it stop eating his skin? Nobody can tell me....I'm kind of glad the vet wants to see him daily, I am afraid to take the bandage off now, no telling how much bigger the holes will be tomorrow. Plus, they offered to keep him there for the day, makes me feel better somebody is around to watch him.

OMG! Just googled MRSA, and dogs can get it, that is so much more likely than him getting not one, but two spider bites.....OTOH, where would he have caught that? He hasn't been anywhere but the backyard....and the groomers for a nail trim 2 weeks ago.

Ivon, I took a series of pictures when Harold had an odd leg injury. We had only had only just adopted him a few weeks prior to this happening.

This started as a swelling.

005-1.jpg July 12

020.jpg July 14

022.jpg Then it burst an hour before we had a vet appt scheduled.

Vet started him on antibiotics. Because of how it burst she guessed it was a brown recluse spider bite.

017.jpg July 17

When it was nearly heeled and the 3rd or 4th vet check was done, the vet thought she saw some puncture marks. Harold did not need stitches. Some hair grew back but mostly he has a black scar since he's a speckly boy. He is now 13.5 years old with no further problems with that leg.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Sending prayers for Spud!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Praying for Spud. Could you possibly get some MANUKA honey and put on him. It is the only known medicine that is effective against MRSA from what I have heard and if its not MRSA it certainly wouldn't hurt, and would probably help. Poor old guy. How scarey. From what I read it can be contacted virtually anywhere-even a backyard. Are you sure its not a snake bite?

Vet doesn't think it's MRSA but added a second anti-biotic, she is also packing the wound with anti-biotics at each bandage change. I suppose it could be a snake bite...it has been really warm here last weekend. Today the holes looked the same as yesterday, but the swelling is down and he seems to feel so much better.

Maco, the wound looks something like in your picture, but larger and deeper (shudder), since it is right at the hock. Back to the vet again tomorrow....

Guest tricolorhounds

Bonkers got bitten by most likely a spider last year. He started out at noon with a limp, by 4pm he could barely walk. By the next morning, there was a bump on the side of his front leg a little bit bigger than a silver dollar... and he was soooo disoriented he couldn't figure out that he needed to go potty when I carried him outside. We rushed him to the vet down the street. He took a fluid sample and then sent us home with antibiotics.

A friend of mine, her hound was bitten last year also... the skin on his back hock was just eaten away to the bone... after many bandage changes and rounds of antibiotics, our vet recommended that it be slathered daily with manuka honey. It healed really well and being brindle, you could barely see his scar.

Guest grey_dreams

Could be a brown recluse spider bite. They can be very very nasty (ask me how I know). The spider bite poison degrades all the tissues within the vicinity of the bite site. If the spider injects a good volume of poison, then huge areas of tissue just die off. Wound needs to be cleaned very well even a couple times a day. As others have mentioned, manuka honey will help but for this you have to use medical grade manuka honey. The best medical grade manuka honey is imported from New Zealand. It will be expensive, but it will be worth it. You will impregnate the dressings with honey, and then change the dressing as needed depending on his wound. I hope he gets better soon.

He is feeling pretty good this morning, thankfully he easy to pill, just put the lot of them on top of his food, and he doesn't bother the bandage. I'll drop him off at the vets on my way to work and pick him up on the way home. Manuka honey is on order, thanks all for the tips!

The original holes in his legs are holding their own, and may be sutured next week. But, a new hole appeared this morning on his face, has two staples now, and there is lots of bruising on his leg, and a new bruise on his belly.....not sure what to make of that.

Vet hinted at canine immune mediated thrombocytopenia, all the while not trying to scare me, or give me something to Google..good news is, it's treatable. She offered to meet me to change Spud's bandage on the weekend, to save me from having to spend $$$ on e-vet. I think I can change bandages myself, but she hinted that he does not like it...and totally giggled at my "kotex and vetwrap" method. Love this vet....

Does he have low platelets? That would be the thrombocytopenia part. It doesn't cause random weeping ulcers.

This is sounding more like Alabama rot or similar ......... Might want to PM onrushpam and ask her to have a look at this thread.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.