Might Have Swallowed Glass- Suggestions?- Urgent

Hello again,

I was writing a paper in the study with the door closed while Boo slept on the couch and DH was in bed. I heard some regular 'dog playing' noise and didn't think much of it until it sounded like glass breaking--- sh%&t.

I ran out and Boo had stolen a stemless wine glass DH had left on the counter by the dishwasher.

It was smashed into multiple pieces on the couch. I tried not to freak out as I didn't want the dog to get upset and cut himself. I told him to 'drop it' for the large piece he had in his mouth, and he did. But he then picked up a smaller glass fragment and carried it to his bed. I was picking up many glass pieces at this time trying to mitigate damage to his paws and mouth. I told him to drop the piece he had. It disappeared. I think he might have swallowed it, but I don't know. He might have dropped it along with the many pieces I picked up from his bed, the couch, etc, and I can't be sure.

Once I picked up all the pieces, I tried placing them together to see if they made a whole, so I could ensure he didn't swallow any.

I can't make a whole. I have scoured the house for extra pieces and can't find any. I think he might have swallowed some glass but can't be sure. He is acting normal.

Do I take him to the e-vet, or wait and see?

I don't want to freak out and bring him for xrays when nothing is wrong. However, I am very scared of a piece of glass in his system. Any advice?

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

TAKE HIM TO THE VET!!!!!

Yup, this is what I would do. When in doubt, error on the side of caution.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Thanks for checking in and the advice guys. I fed him a some bread last night and kept an eye on him. I slept on the couch so I could watch him and we are on our way to the vet now.... I'll update soon.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

I used the cotton balls soaked in water and then mashed with some canned dog food watered down.He ate them right up.I used 7 of them.I was also able to piece back together the larger pieces of glass, so I was only concerned with possible slivers.The glass is supposed to adhere to the cotton and the cotton should wrap around the glass to allow it to pass without cutting.It must be 100% COTTON, other materials can cause a blockage.If larger pieces may have been swallowed, I think going to the vet was the best choice. Good luck!

Well, panic for no reason I think. The vet said glass likely wouldn't show up on an x-ray. He said feeding bread was right and to monitor him closely for the next 48 hours. He has antibiotics too.... fingers crossed I was wrong in guessing he may have swallowed some. The peace of mind of taking him to the vet to check is really nice.

So far, he has been his normal self today.

Thanks for all the tips!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Glad all seems to be going well. I learned the bread trick on GT. It was said whenever something sharp is or may be consumed use the bread to coat sharp pieces (this is for protection but not in lieu of a vet)

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Glad all seems to be going well. I learned the bread trick on GT. It was said whenever something sharp is or may be consumed use the bread to coat sharp pieces (this is for protection but not in lieu of a vet)

Bread works for people who have swallowed a fish bone, too. Same principle, and the bread helps move the bone along if it gets stuck in the victim's throat.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)