Corn Hulling By A Vet - What To Expect?

Guest colander_girl

Guest colander_girl

Hi everyone!

Our girl has an appointment tomorrow afternoon with a new vet who is experienced in corn hulling (our current vet will only do it under anesthesia -- so yeah, there's no way). He wants to do a comprehensive exam first and then will give me a quote on the cost of the procedure.

This new vet has very good reviews online, except that he is very expensive. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who can give me an idea of a reasonable price for this procedure (or how much you were charged by your vet)? I'm trying to avoid sticker-shock. :-)

I know there are a lot of greyhound owners who do their own hulling, but our girl is so fidgety with her feet that I'm afraid of stabbing her and forever traumatizing her.

She has 3 corns that I have identified, one on her front right paw, and one each on her back two paws. One of them on her back side is very very ready for hulling, it's sticking out above the surface of the pad. The one on her front right paw causes her the most limping, but is also the smallest and smoothest. I know the back paw corns also hurt her -- it's most obvious at the dog park when she seems almost wobbly when she walks onto the gravel path (she definitely prefers grass). But the front paw she will hold up sometimes when standing on hard surfaces (most of our house).

I'm just hoping the hulling will provide her some immediate relief, even if they are likely to return.

Thanks in advance!

Joey and Pistol just had their corns hulled last week. They were tender for a couple of days but were back to running in the yard this morning.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

If she let's him do it, without anesthesia, maybe with a nerve block, it shouldn't be too expensive. I had the vet do it for me once & she did go deeper than I ever do. It was quite uncomfortable for Conor & he's used to having me do it. And they came back anyway. :( But it doesn't take long & I wouldn't expect it to be exorbitant, both because of the time & the fact you can do it yourself.

Good luck to your girl - corns suck!!! :(

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest jerseygreys

Hi Houston, TX. Going thru the same thing here in NJ w/a 6 y.o. girl w/1 on each front paw. 1 corn coming out straight from center of pad; the other (sort IG) growing out sideways; both were deep rooted corns. Went to NGAP in Phila., PA on 5/29 and they were lasered out while under anesthesia for dentals. Cost is hard to determine as a lot of bloodwork was done that day, exam, stool sample, a 'corn kit' w/cream and cleaning/soaking solution and instructions, and antibiotic and pain pills.

This laser corn procedure is relatively new with them and their vets, so they're still doing surveys with 'corn' clients, but I was also forewarned that these corns have a habit of growing back ..... which it did within 6 weeks. Had the laser procedure done again there this Tuesday and again under anesthesia, but they went in a little deeper and wider this 2nd time to see if this is the answer, thinking the corn virus cells are still in the surrounding tissue. The cost for the 2nd procedure was a little more involved with rimadyl injections as well as anesthesia, and oral meds again, but they gave me a price-break as this 2nd laser surgery is so close to the first. Price (not including the discount they gave me) was listed as $352.80 if this helps with your gathering price surveys for hulling without going under anesthesia.

I opted to try laser removal hoping this was/is the answer. My local vet was out and his associate never hulled any corns and recommended laser which is why I went to NGAP in May and again this week. Besides, my eyesight for close work is not as good as it used to be to try hulling myself so this is a no-brainer decision with my girl who doesn't like her feet touched. Don't know what I'll do if round 2 doesn't work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck with yours tomorrow!!!!

I would suggest that you use something like kerasol (vet) or Kerasal (humans) for about a week before the hulling. It helps to bring the corn more to the surface and defines the edges better.

Laryy had it done once with the vet that we are now using and I believe the cost was under $75 for 1 corn but, it was a pretty big one - it took about 15 to 20 minutes. It didn't look like he had any pain while it was being done. He's going in this week for another hulling.

My vet did prescribe some type of anti-viral medicine but, my life was "upside down" at that time with a few emergencies going on and I never got a chance to fill the prescription. There's a chance the medicine could keep it from growing (but, then again, maybe not). I am going to get the prescripion filled this time to try it.

Sam has "repeating" corns on three feet. Our vet had never dealt with them but viewed the video from Grassmere and asked if he could do his first ones with Sam. he uses a tool (look like a tiny melon baller), lifts up a paw, does the corn and Sam doesn't even flinch. His feet can be a little tender for a couple of days and they do grow again but in the meantime he has relief. Our vet simply charges a regular office visit price. Since they grow back anyway I won't do more imvasive procedures and add more issues for Sam and more costs to me.

I would encourage you to have the corns on Cosmo lasered. In my experience the hulling doesn't last very long. Some are getting good relief with the laser. We have a new Permanent Foster, Zeus, who has many health issues with corns being one. He had them lasered 6 weeks ago and had them redone last week. The first time they did not go deep enough. It helped but some came back. Again, Zeus has many issues but we (GPAH) decided it was worth repeating. Dr. Wall in The Woodlands is the one who does the laser surgeries for most of the dogs in the group.

If you want pictures send me a message and I will show you what Zeus feet looked like before, after laser and now. I don't know how to post pics on here. :( Best of luck for your "corn dog" they are a pain!

ETA Dalton has them too and I just dremel and hull his myself. I use lotion, olive oil etc. I've tried interferon etc. Still problematic. ugh....

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Hitch has two very crooked front feet; it's kind of like he's pigeon-toed with his right foot turning over causing a constant limp. It's just his natural gait. He has one very persistent corn on that foot that I have hulled about every 6-8 weeks. Luckily, I have a very, very greyhound savvy friend that works in a vet's office who does it for me. I don't know anything about the laser treatment....I'll have to look into that.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest colander_girl

Joey and Pistol just had their corns hulled last week. They were tender for a couple of days but were back to running in the yard this morning.

That's good to hear! I'd love to see our girl running again!

If she let's him do it, without anesthesia, maybe with a nerve block, it shouldn't be too expensive. I had the vet do it for me once & she did go deeper than I ever do. It was quite uncomfortable for Conor & he's used to having me do it. And they came back anyway. :( But it doesn't take long & I wouldn't expect it to be exorbitant, both because of the time & the fact you can do it yourself.

Good luck to your girl - corns suck!!! :(

Thanks! And I agree--they do suck!!!

Hi Houston, TX. Going thru the same thing here in NJ w/a 6 y.o. girl w/1 on each front paw. 1 corn coming out straight from center of pad; the other (sort IG) growing out sideways; both were deep rooted corns. Went to NGAP in Phila., PA on 5/29 and they were lasered out while under anesthesia for dentals. Cost is hard to determine as a lot of bloodwork was done that day, exam, stool sample, a 'corn kit' w/cream and cleaning/soaking solution and instructions, and antibiotic and pain pills.

This laser corn procedure is relatively new with them and their vets, so they're still doing surveys with 'corn' clients, but I was also forewarned that these corns have a habit of growing back ..... which it did within 6 weeks. Had the laser procedure done again there this Tuesday and again under anesthesia, but they went in a little deeper and wider this 2nd time to see if this is the answer, thinking the corn virus cells are still in the surrounding tissue. The cost for the 2nd procedure was a little more involved with rimadyl injections as well as anesthesia, and oral meds again, but they gave me a price-break as this 2nd laser surgery is so close to the first. Price (not including the discount they gave me) was listed as $352.80 if this helps with your gathering price surveys for hulling without going under anesthesia.

I opted to try laser removal hoping this was/is the answer. My local vet was out and his associate never hulled any corns and recommended laser which is why I went to NGAP in May and again this week. Besides, my eyesight for close work is not as good as it used to be to try hulling myself so this is a no-brainer decision with my girl who doesn't like her feet touched. Don't know what I'll do if round 2 doesn't work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck with yours tomorrow!!!!

I'd quickly pay that much to get her feeling better. I will ask the vet about lasering also (or who knows, he may suggest it). She's about due for a dental too... so that is something we may consider!

I would suggest that you use something like kerasol (vet) or Kerasal (humans) for about a week before the hulling. It helps to bring the corn more to the surface and defines the edges better.

Laryy had it done once with the vet that we are now using and I believe the cost was under $75 for 1 corn but, it was a pretty big one - it took about 15 to 20 minutes. It didn't look like he had any pain while it was being done. He's going in this week for another hulling.

My vet did prescribe some type of anti-viral medicine but, my life was "upside down" at that time with a few emergencies going on and I never got a chance to fill the prescription. There's a chance the medicine could keep it from growing (but, then again, maybe not). I am going to get the prescripion filled this time to try it.

Thanks! I will look for Kerasal. Good luck to you and let me know if you have luck with that prescription!

Sam has "repeating" corns on three feet. Our vet had never dealt with them but viewed the video from Grassmere and asked if he could do his first ones with Sam. he uses a tool (look like a tiny melon baller), lifts up a paw, does the corn and Sam doesn't even flinch. His feet can be a little tender for a couple of days and they do grow again but in the meantime he has relief. Our vet simply charges a regular office visit price. Since they grow back anyway I won't do more imvasive procedures and add more issues for Sam and more costs to me.

You must have a really great vet. :-) I'd love to have that situation but I won't get my hopes up! But it's good to know that there are vets like that out there.

I would encourage you to have the corns on Cosmo lasered. In my experience the hulling doesn't last very long. Some are getting good relief with the laser. We have a new Permanent Foster, Zeus, who has many health issues with corns being one. He had them lasered 6 weeks ago and had them redone last week. The first time they did not go deep enough. It helped but some came back. Again, Zeus has many issues but we (GPAH) decided it was worth repeating. Dr. Wall in The Woodlands is the one who does the laser surgeries for most of the dogs in the group.

If you want pictures send me a message and I will show you what Zeus feet looked like before, after laser and now. I don't know how to post pics on here. :( Best of luck for your "corn dog" they are a pain!

ETA Dalton has them too and I just dremel and hull his myself. I use lotion, olive oil etc. I've tried interferon etc. Still problematic. ugh....

Thanks for the info! I'll see what Dr. Lisk recommends today. The corn on Cosmo's front paw isn't very well defined so I'm not sure what he'll suggest for it. I'd love to see Zeus's before and afters -- you can e-mail me at familypanorama (at) gmail (dot) com. I bought some hyaluronic acid to try but I still need to find something to use for the second step (was going to try the Murray Ave treatment but got discouraged by some of the reviews). I hope the second lasering works for Zeus! That's great that you can work on Dalton yourself, about all I can do for Cosmo is dremel her nails on low with my husband distracting her with treats. She is a foot-yanker. :-)

Hitch has two very crooked front feet; it's kind of like he's pigeon-toed with his right foot turning over causing a constant limp. It's just his natural gait. He has one very persistent corn on that foot that I have hulled about every 6-8 weeks. Luckily, I have a very, very greyhound savvy friend that works in a vet's office who does it for me. I don't know anything about the laser treatment....I'll have to look into that.

Since Cosmo started limping she's been a little pigeon-toed too with her right foot. She doesn't put much weight on it and when she's just standing she sticks it out to the side or lifts it up (depending upon the floor surface). At first we were afraid it was osteo but x-rays were fine so I'm much happier for her to have a corn! That's great that your friend can hull them!

Thanks everyone and I will post back after our appointment this afternoon!

Guest Janiebugsmom

Janie's first corn, my vet had never done before but I took her a lot of info I found on the net and she did it no problem. Janie also had no problem after huling. This time she has one on each foot. I try and keep Bag Balm rubbed on to her feet as much as I can. I just hulled my self two of them. they other two are not up where Ifeel they need to be for me to hull them, so giving them a bit more time and keeping them soft with the Bag Balm.

Guest colander_girl

Just got home! New vet is awesome!!! He looked at her and decided to try to hull just the front one to see how much pain she'd be in afterwards (didn't want her to be in a lot of pain on 3 of her 4 legs at once). He took her into the back, and when he returned 10 minutes later he had hulled all three of them! He said they weren't very deep and since the first had been so easy he decided to just do the rest. I was very happy about that! Just have to give her Deramaxx once a day for 10 days and keep her on soft or smooth surfaces until she heals.

For reference, he charged $20 per corn (plus exam/consultation, Deramaxx, and I went ahead and had them give her a canine influenza vaccination while we were there). Needless to say, I will definitely be returning there if/when her corns return. I am one happy customer!

Janie's first corn, my vet had never done before but I took her a lot of info I found on the net and she did it no problem. Janie also had no problem after huling. This time she has one on each foot. I try and keep Bag Balm rubbed on to her feet as much as I can. I just hulled my self two of them. they other two are not up where Ifeel they need to be for me to hull them, so giving them a bit more time and keeping them soft with the Bag Balm.

The vet also told me to use a moisturizer on her feet, I will try the Bag Balm and see if that helps any!

When we adopted Doc he had 2-3 corns on each of his feet- poor guy! I kept them hulled out, filled the empty holes left behind with bag balm ... and over the course of 2 years, we were able to get all but one of them to heal and go completely away!

I am firmly convinced of the healing properties of the Bag Balm. Keep packing the holes left behind by the hullings with Bag balm and keep rubbing it into her pads.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

• 2 years later...

Oh, forgot to say..she does not put my dogs to sleep…just hulls them out. Lady is having cold laser treatments on the some painful areas on her hips and between her shoulder blades. Would this be the same machine that could be used for corn removal?