Arthritis Remedies, Preferably Holistic

Guest lbooras

Guest lbooras

My greyhound, Bud, has been suffering lately with stiffness of joints in his back leg. He tends to shake when he gets up and walks so slow...has always hated the stairs too. He gets short walks every morning and sometimes in the evenings, if it isn't too hot. The thing is, it seems to be progressing, and I would like to explore some holistic options. He has a sensitive system. Traditional drugs, such as rimadyl, make him hallucinate. I'm putting him on 2 aspirin for awhile to see if it'll give him some relief and till i figure out the best thing for him. I was wondering people's thoughts on glucosamine/chondroitin/msm; blackstrap molasses; apple cider vinegar; vitamin c and whatever else is out there that would provide relief, repair give him some pep again and be good to his stomach. He's fed Nutro chicken and rice for sensitive stomachs. Thanks!

My guys get yucca (Azmira's) in the morning and Cosaquin DS at the evening meal. I have used glucosamine with MSM previously with good results.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

As a human with it, Glucosamine + Chondrotin + Green Lipped Mussel take some of the fire out of it. Cider vinegar didn't

For a dog that mix of 'neutraceuticals' in Pedigree chew sticks often shows some improvement for a few months.

The only thing I found worked for my last dog was Metacam, but dosed intelligently with only the full dose on acute days. It can lead to stomach bleeds and exacerbate incipient chronic renal failure.

When those natural Glucosamine etc drugs are included in the dogs kibble recipe they often work sub-optimally as the cooking process destroys it and also is no help to vitamins.

I wouldn't give 2 aspirins for fear of making the stomach bleed, and totally not give when still on Rimadyl.

Trmadol from the vet may be your answer for bad days.

Keep weight down too.

I've used the Greyhound Gang's Yucca Intensive extract with good results. Their glucosamine/chondroitin/msm combo is good too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Fletcher's had arthritis since he was about 6 (now 10) Traumeel tablets worked for him for awhile, with Metacam added on bad days. When that wasn't enoughI added acupuncture and Chinese herbs, which have made a big difference. He has also gotten Fresh Factors and a glucosamine/msm supplement, currently we are using Arthresoothe Gold, as it has boswellia, green lipped muscle, and yucca as well as glucosamine, chondrioten and msm I also have tramadol on hand for times when he needs a little extra.

Fish oil, fish oil, fish oil! Also, a joint supplement like you mentioned.

I would give those some time to take effect and then if you still feel he needs help, there are plenty of other herbs known to have anti-inflammatory properties. Good article here. Lots of people seem to have had succes with yucca although I couldn't find much research to support it. Did find research to support using Boswellia & Curcumin.

I like K9 Acti-flex as a joint supplement. You can find it for a good price at Big Dee's tackhouse online.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hi there. I don't know that this is "technically" for arthritis, but always worth a try. I sprinkle the herbal dietary supplement "Body Sore" on my pups' food. (You can look it up online; the jar I have is distributed by Jing Tang).) My vet does acupuncture and embraces Eastern medicine -- so he recommended Body Sore (also recommended for our equine friends). Some of my hounds could not tolerate certain meds; nor did I want them on heavy-duty drugs long-term.

I purchased a 200 gram jar in May and I think it was $40-ish?? The only adverse effect that I am aware of is the Big D if you give too much, too soon.

Hope you find something that helps Bud feel better.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest WhiteWave

I ran out of the joint stuff I was using and picked up some Osteo Bi-Flex Nutra Joint at Walmart b/c it was the only one in powder form that was unflavored and saw a marked improvement in the 2 dogs I'm giving it too. So I'm going to use it instead of what I was, plus it is cheaper.

Also just got my shipment of supplements today and going to start Casper on Turmeric and Bromelain. It was recommend for his cancer and for his joints, so I figured it would be worth a try. Also using Glutamine to help prevent muscle wasting.

http://dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html Has a lot of good info.

He also takes Gabapentin, Tramadol daily and metacam as needed. http://drpollen.blogspot.com/2011/05/tramadol-gabapentin-treat-pain-in-dogs.html

I ran out of the joint stuff I was using and picked up some Osteo Bi-Flex Nutra Joint at Walmart b/c it was the only one in powder form that was unflavored and saw a marked improvement in the 2 dogs I'm giving it too. So I'm going to use it instead of what I was, plus it is cheaper.

Also just got my shipment of supplements today and going to start Casper on Turmeric and Bromelain. It was recommend for his cancer and for his joints, so I figured it would be worth a try. Also using Glutamine to help prevent muscle wasting.

http://dogaware.com/...ritissupps.html Has a lot of good info.

He also takes Gabapentin, Tramadol daily and metacam as needed. http://drpollen.blog...in-in-dogs.html

Just an aside - and you may already know this - but turmeric/curcumin is known for absorption issues. I ended up with a product from Thorne-Research that includes a binding agent along with the curcumin to help with absorption. I had tried 2 other curcumin supplements beforehand, had even tried crushing one and mixing it with a bit of food and I could always see orange specks in Neyla's stool. Once I switched to the TR product, I didn't have that issue anymore (and she seemed to tolerate it better). Here the supplement if you're interested: Meriva-SR. I found it for a very reasonable price online by googling.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest WhiteWave

He also takes Gabapentin, Tramadol daily and metacam as needed. http://drpollen.blog...in-in-dogs.html

Just an aside - and you may already know this - but turmeric/curcumin is known for absorption issues. I ended up with a product from Thorne-Research that includes a binding agent along with the curcumin to help with absorption. I had tried 2 other curcumin supplements beforehand, had even tried crushing one and mixing it with a bit of food and I could always see orange specks in Neyla's stool. Once I switched to the TR product, I didn't have that issue anymore (and she seemed to tolerate it better). Here the supplement if you're interested: Meriva-SR. I found it for a very reasonable price online by googling.

That is why I chose a product with bromelain. Bromelain is suppose to help them absorb the turmeric, plus it also helps with arthritis. So far he has had any issues and stool is normal.

When our girl started with arthritis problems we had good luck using a combination of Adequan, accupuncture, glucosamine, and Fish Oil. I was able to keep her off the harder meds for about three years. In the last two years of her life we had to add in a daily half dose of Metacam which brought her a lot of relief and kept her quality of life good. She left us at almost 15 years old...her arthritis was being managed well with this protocol but her CHF became too much and those drugs weren't doing their jobs anymore so we had to say goodbye.

Edited by greytlucy

That is why I chose a product with bromelain. Bromelain is suppose to help them absorb the turmeric, plus it also helps with arthritis. So far he has had any issues and stool is normal.

Can you please tell me the product you are using that contains tumeric and bromelein? thanks

Ahh, a topic near and dear to Greyhound Gang.

Lots of info on our site at LEARN, Medical, Arthritis.

We also go to greyhound gatherings to speak on this topic and more. Our booklet - When I Am Older - details tried and true natural care for arthritic situations.

Basics:

- Joint supplements - glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin (at 1500 mgs a day for each) , Vit C, CMO

- Anti-inflammatories - Yucca is our first choice for acute situations, and we've successfully used it instead of Rimadyl and Deramaxx

- Acupuncture

- Raw feeding

- Salmon Oil - minimum 3000 mgs a day

There certainly are more natural products which can help in individual situations.

Since 2002, we've offered Get Up & Go supplements to help hounds with joint and other issues. Proceeds continue to rescue greyhounds. Pure powder, tested and inexpensive. For instance, one bottle of Glucosamine lasts 60 days and costs $14.95 or $13.50 if in a refill bag. Our 4-pack (glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, Vitamin C) is only $71.23 for a 60-day supply. A very win-win situation. HIgh quality products at low cost, and hounds are helped. Unsolicited testimonials here.

Happy to answer questions at any time.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

I give my 12 years GH, Harry, who has Arthritis, a glucosamine/msm and Qi Ye Lian (Herb med, 2-3 tablets twice day) instead of asprin or rimadyl. My holistic vet gave to my bridge GH, Easy, when she had a problem to go to stairs and any kind of pains. It is easy on their GI. You can order from amazon

Good Luck.

Soon, Harry and Cassy

Soon, Cassy & Twitter

Angel Hounds: Rowdy, Easy & Harry

Guest WhiteWave

NOW brand Turmeric & Bromelain. I am using 1 capsule twice a day but it said to up it to 2 if he has no issues with one.

Guest Gemma

Peyton does better on Tremadol than Rimadyl.

For supplements, we have him on Actiflex. It is for horses originally so you have to figure out the dosage. We give 1 tsp twice daily but I have heard some folks give as much as 3 tbsp. It seems to work. :)

My dogs are on Get Up and Go supplements as well as the Yucca and Fish oil.

You can see the Yucca working on the dogs right away. the other supplements take a couple weeks to really see their full effects.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I tried a lot of plain glus./chond. pills for my old dog and had no luck. I tried a liquid human supplement called "Nutri-Flex" (by Naka..I don't know if you have this company in the U.S.) and we noticed quite an improvement. The ingredients are: glucosamine, gelatin, MSM, Turmeric, Devil's Claw, Bromelain. Loved this stuff, we noticed a significant change if we tried to take her off of it! I also always supplement with a lot of fish oils as well, but you have to have high levels to make a notable change in arthitis.

http://www.nakaherbs...flex_liquid.pdf

• 1 month later...
Guest lbooras

Just to update everyone on Bud...He's been on combo of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, and Vitamin C for 2 months now and it has helped some, less shaking getting up and down and more moving around. However, still limping and just doesn't want to use his back leg and when he does he walks with a hitch. Vet visit today, and doc thinks it's not joint at all, but rather soft tissue. His muscle is bigger on the side he doesn't use than the side he does. Going to try some Previcox and see how he does with that. Keep your fingers crossed!

• 5 months later...
I've used the Greyhound Gang's Yucca Intensive extract with good results. Their glucosamine/chondroitin/msm combo is good too.

Do you use the Yucca regularly, or only when it is bad? Doesn't it lose effectiveness if you use it long-term (the body gets used to it)?

Robin is on glucosamine, msm, chondroitin, and vitamin c from Greyhound Gang, as well as Grizzly Salmon Oil. But after 2 years on these, I think it is time to add something. He's definitely worse than he was even a few months ago.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).