Chin Quiver :)

Guest aowam

206 members have voted

1. 1. Does your grey's chin quiver when excited?

Guest aowam

Just a fun question. I notice that my boy does this when he's excited or anticipating something good, like treats or meeting new people. Sometimes it's so bad that his teeth clack, haha. I've seen another greyhound do this, but never another dog. People always comment on this when they go to pet him. So, does your grey? Or any of your other dogs?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PiagetsMom

Mirage does do the chin quiver, usually when there's food involved. My girl, Piaget, used to chatter all the time - neither Mirage or Maya chatter, and I miss that. :(

Wendy does the chin quiver and, if she's really excited, will chatter. She also does this head-bob thing that I've only ever seen birds and reptiles do. :blink:

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Freddy does the chin quiver when he is excited or happy. I compare it to a "prrr" to that of a cat and can sometimes get really loud. The first few months of having him I was quite worried about it thinking he was just nervous all the time. Now I embrace it and think it's quite adorable. :P

Angel is our chin quiverer. He does it when he is very happy. I have never heard of any other breed doing this and was once told (not sure how true) that ony greyhounds do this. Means they are happy.

Sheila
Loved by

Mozart, Sherri, Xavier, McCleary, Tigger. Amelia and 2 Salukis Poppy and Zarah

Bella doesn't chatter but I have noticed her chin quivering lately if we scritch in exactly the right spot

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

all three of mine chatter--- Power is the King of chattering though!!! he chatters all the time!!! :colgate

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Eyeblaura

Enzo does this, we usually only hear the teeth chatter when food but he will quiver with excitement with petting too, just not as vigorously as when something tasty is being offered.

Guest happygrey

Bentley has just started doing this little quiver lately -- I wonder if it will ever evolve into a full chatter. I think Des may sometimes quiver but I'm not quite sure. Tatam is our full-on chatterer. We often hear his teeth clacking away. So cute. :wub: :wub:

It's worth noting though that this behavior has shown up over time. Tatam didn't chatter for at least 1.5 years after we got him. But once he got really, really comfortable with us he started and it's only increased. He does it now even when we come home. :wub: What a great greeting!

Ruby always seems to have her little chin going....excited or nervous or just plain happy.

The boys don't do it at all.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Bull quivers a little. Howie was my champion tooth chatterer. Boy, do I miss that dog....

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest PiagetsMom

It seems Doctor P's chin is constantly set on vibrate... and with his huge over bite he doesn't really ever chatter, but every once and a while he will.

Mirage has an overbite, too. I've often wondered if the chin quiver might be the "over biter's" version of / attempt at chattering :huh

Guest aowam

Haha this is great! :) The quiver/chatter is just so darn cute. Maybe this should have gone in the "cute and funny things greyhounds do."

Guest Jacks_Human

Jack chatters a lot. He did it the very first time he met me, and does it frequently (usually pressing up against me or putting his nose up to mine) and will now chatter when DBF pets him. He does the chin wiggle if there is even a hint of potential snacks.