Growling And Air Snapping Over A Ball?

I posted a topic a few weeks ago regarding my dog and his lack of wanting to run at the park. Well, last Wednesday something in his head clicked and he became a retrieving machine! Another owner brought a black squeaker ball that Freddy has seen/heard a few dozen times but would only chase the dog retrieving once or twice before residing to approaching people for pets. He would usually be first to the ball and when he wasn't he would let the other dogs pick it up and bring it back. This behavior lasted a solid half hour before he became pretty tired and resorted to getting the ball and then finding a place off to the side where he would lay down and guard his ball. Whenever he did this myself as well as another owner would approach and take the ball away and throw it again and he wouldn't bat an eye. When another dog would approach while Freddy had the ball and was lying down, he would snarl and air snap. I saw this happen twice before I decided it was enough and we left.

I was pretty taken back by the behavior because he hasn't really had issues with other dogs and seems pretty passive when it comes to retrieving and running with other dogs. I understand that at the farm or track they really don't share things (toys, bones etc.) with other dogs so maybe this has to do with that. I'm wondering how I would be able to go about teaching him that hoarding and guarding the ball from other dogs is not acceptable behavior. I've read that with humans you can "trade up" with a high value treat. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to go about remedying this behavior short of strapping a few treats to one of his K9 friends in hopes of him trading up. :blink: Since then, we've been resorting to a 3rd walk in place of the dog park. I'd like to get him back to the park as I know he enjoys it, especially with his new found love for this squeaky ball. But I'm not going to put him in that position until I know things are worked out. Any insight or thoughts on the issue are greatly appreciated.

Interesting thought. He didn't have the greatest day while I was at work so maybe this tension/anxiety carried over to the walk/park? I may just be over reacting but it concerned me, especially since his behavior the past few months has been so calm and passive at the park and interacting with other dogs in general.

The ball is of high value to him and he doesn't want to share it with the other dogs. Some hounds get over this and some don't. It happens here in my house if one of my hounds gets a favorite toy and another tries to get in on the play. When it happens I remove the toy. If it were me, and just me, once I saw him growl/snap at another dog, I would take the ball and play time would be over at that point. If he's laying down with it he's probably tired at that point and it's probably a good time to quit.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

You know when I think about your post, I have two thoughts. First, it seems to me he is probably bluffing. I doubt a fight would break out unless the other dog approaching is more "alpha". My other thought is, I dont really see anything wrong with guarding the toy. It seems to me that it would be rude for another dog to come up and take a ball away from him after he has it. Guarding a toy in your house with its "pack", yes I can see the issue, but guarding from an unknown dog, no issue. This is just my thought. If you want to extinguish this behavior, you need to work on two things, first remove him from the situation where he will fail (dont let him play at the park with toys), secondly you need to see if there is anyone that will help you work on his issue. You need to be near him when he has a toy, have someone else walk their dog on a leash near him. Treat him when he doesnt growl. If he starts to growl, you take the toy away. Repeat repeat repeat until the other dog can be walked on a leash very close to him without reaction. Remember, once the growling starts, he is beyond his comfort zone and training has stopped. You need to be very aware of his non-verbal reactions and keep one step ahead of his reactions.

Chad

So Freddy got to the other dog's toy and claimed ownership. No problem. It's not his and he has no right to it. Take it away, leash him up and take a walk. Or am I reading this wrong and it's Freddy's toy and the other dog just wants to borrow it?

I often think about how I would handle something like this if it were children. We want to teach our kids to share, but more important to me is teaching my child not to take without asking. Freddy can't ask so he loses privileges.

How to teach him not to take others' stuff and be possessive? I have no idea. :lol..not when dealing with other people and other dogs. If it were me, I'd avoid the situation.

Edited by Feisty49

I know this skirts the main issue, but is bringing other balls to the park an option? So he can guard his ball but all the other dogs still have something to play with? Ultimately, sure, you'll want to find a solution to his guarding issue, but being loaded with balls at least you could still take him to the park?

Sounds like totally normal dog behavior to me.

Dogs sort things out themselves. Your dog got the ball, he does not care to give it up. It's really not a big deal. Although at the dog park I used to go to, we did not do group games like that, because almost inevitably a fight ends up breaking out 'cause there is often ONE dog that goes too far.

We had a "core" group of dogs who were all friends, and we each brought our own dog's ball. We'd sort of stand in a line and yell, "ready, set, go" and everyone would toss their ball and the dogs would race out and get them.

Oh, none of these were Greyhounds. Just an assortment of dogs.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck