Dog Walking Belt...

I've been thinking I'd like to try some kind of 'dog walking belt'...

Something that goes around my waist and has clips or D-rings to clip leashes to. I would still hold onto the leashes like I always do, but the lkoops would be attached to a belt of some sort.

I usually slide the loops of all three leashes right up onto my forearm, and then hold the leashes... Nigel & Ruby's in my right hand and Nixon's in my left.

Now that the nice weather is here and my arms are bare, the loops do not stay 'up' on my arm...they have been sliding down onto my wrist and it is a bit annoying to have to keep shoving them up out of the way. I have small arms/wrists and they could easily slip right off.

I am not worried that the dogs would take off and drag me...they all walk very nicely together. None are spooks and we walk in a very quiet rural area.

Any ideas or suggestions???

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

generally dogs who basically heel do well w/ the belt/leashes. there is a wide variety out there, some w/ bungee leads, most for runners and hikers. from my experiences walking 2 dogs they generally like to sniff and mark the same areas i don't know how a waist belt would work out. also, if you are fearful of them pulling you over, you need to use the leash and give them corrections. when they stay at your side, then try it, but first just tie a regular leash to your waist and then clip another leash to the waist leash. it will save you $$$ in the end.

k9noz.com makes ups biothane leashes w/ extra loops. i love bud's leashes.

Guest DragonflyDM

My suggestion would be to get a second leash and loop it over the shoulder before connecting it to the first leash. It is easy to remove in less than a second, it allows for control and it is cheap.

My suggestion would be to get a second leash and loop it over the shoulder before connecting it to the first leash. It is easy to remove in less than a second, it allows for control and it is cheap.

I can't picture how this would work...

if you are fearful of them pulling you over, you need to use the leash and give them corrections.

I am NOT afraid they will pull me over...they all walk very well together with hardly any correction.

I would still hold onto the leashes in my hands as I do now...

I just want something to clip / hook the leash loop ends onto, so I don't have to put my arm through them.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

I recently started using one. I attach the leashes of my two girls and still have Fletcher's leash in my hand. Fletcher is very leash reactive, and I was worried about dropping the girls' leashes when I had to deal with him. It has been great! It frees up at least one hand, and I could attach Fletcher's leash as well if I needed to, and I don't worry about one of them getting loose.

When I go jogging I often use the waist belts, but I always keep the leash fairly short, otherwise it can hang down, get tripped on/wrapped up, etc. If your dogs are generally well behaved though, I think they are great!

I agree.

We use adjustable waist leashes. The most important thing with Greyhounds is to actually *hold* the leash (when not picking up poop) to keep yourself and the dogs under control.

(Waist leashes can be risky for someone not paying attention to their hound, or with balance problems. I don't use waist leashes for walking high-prey hounds. Also, I wait until just off the track hounds are taught to heel nicely before using a waist leash.)

Leashes: www.fancyk9s.com

A helpful trick for people using a standard leash is to tie a knot in the handle so it fits more snugly around your wrist. Again, gripping the excess leash carefully to keep yourself well balanced, and staying alert to the hound's intent.

Dogs are in safer control when walking at human's side (not walking at the end of a 6' leash being allowed to criss-cross in front of human - very dangerous).

I recently started using one. I attach the leashes of my two girls and still have Fletcher's leash in my hand. Fletcher is very leash reactive, and I was worried about dropping the girls' leashes when I had to deal with him. It has been great! It frees up at least one hand, and I could attach Fletcher's leash as well if I needed to, and I don't worry about one of them getting loose.

What kind and where did you get it?

I just found this...looks very sturdy, but I am not sure if I could hook three leashes on it.

http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/catalog_page_featured.cfm?queries_index=index8&title_bar=HIGH%20SIERRA%20WALK%2DA%2DBELT%3Csup%3Etm%3C%2Fsup%3E%20Heavy%20Duty%20with%20Carabineer&NewProduct=0&Product_CatalogID=157&ProductCode=2&RecordNo=1&sc=yes

A helpful trick for people using a standard leash is to tie a knot in the handle so it fits more snugly around your wrist. Again, gripping the excess leash carefully to keep yourself well balanced, and staying alert to the hound's intent.

Dogs are in safer control when walking at human's side (not walking at the end of a 6' leash being allowed to criss-cross in front of human - very dangerous).

I cannot possibly tie a knot in the loop of my leather leashes to make the loops smaller.

I really hate to repeat myself... but my dogs do walk very nicely, in the heel postion and their leashes are kept short.

I am well balanced and always alert to what my hounds are doing!

As I have already mentioned...I am not worried they will pull me over.

I am just looking for recomendations on dog walking belts!!

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Guest JarBear

A friend of mine makes them. Her website is thesilenthound.com and they're under "what's new". I've been thinking of having her make one for me so I can have some back up when I pick up the poop. :rolleyes:

http://m.cabelas.com/cabelas/product/detail.do?itemId=732807&categoryId=2197378&path=Home%7CHunting%7CDOGS%7CDOG+APPAR%7CDOG+COLLARS%7CBelt+Loop+Dog+Lead

These attach to a normal belt. They're pretty short, but great for events and crowded places. You can probably make something similar using a normal belt.

Also google European leashes. They're very versatile. There are a million links. Find one that explains the different ways to configure the leash. It's pretty cool and I'm actually going to be buying a few myself soon.

I cannot possibly tie a knot in the loop of my leather leashes to make the loops smaller.

I really hate to repeat myself... but my dogs do walk very nicely, in the heel postion and their leashes are kept short.

I am well balanced and always alert to what my hounds are doing!

As I have already mentioned...I am not worried they will pull me over.

I am just looking for recomendations on dog walking belts!!

I understand all of the above. I also read that you asked for ideas or suggestions on your OP. My response to you was sharing hands-free waist leashes that we use in a multi-hound family (although the business owner will do custom orders if you prefer a "belt").

I included more information than I would in a PM because this is a public forum and many other readers might like to try your great idea, but they may not have dogs as well-trained as yours. (A few extra words could help save someone serious injury.)

I had no way of knowing you have leather leashes that will not hold a knot from your OP. That was simply an idea that might have helped you until you order a belt, or could help other readers.

I used to have one! For Kramer. It had a quick release buckle where the leash hooked to the belt. It also had a place to hang a pouch (for baggies, treats, whatever). It was awesome!

I personally would not use it with George, only because on those rare occasions when he decides it would be funny to sprint, it's like begin strapped to a rocket, and I would be afraid he would pull me over!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Sounds like a greyt idea to me. They probably could/would drag you down and for a few feet in a worse case senario but small price to pay for saving their life and keeping them from getting loose. Although I am strong and athletic Slim- who was very aggressive- would occassionaly jerk me completely down and drag me a few feet while I was holding the 2 leashes attached to 2 collars that I needed to hopefully control him but it wasn't far.

Edited by racindog

Guest DragonflyDM

I can't picture how this would work...

I would still hold onto the leashes in my hands as I do now...

I just want something to clip / hook the leash loop ends onto, so I don't have to put my arm through them.

The leash over the shoulder would be like a bandaleer. You then connect it to your regular leash to be able to go hands free, disconnect quickly, etc.

This is a product that does the same job but I think isn't as versitile as using two leashes-- but you can get the idea of what I am talking about from it.

ql_1_lo-res__44119_zoom.jpg

Instead of a waist belt style hands free leash I use a Euro or multi leash style worn over the shoulder. Initially I was skeptical that I would like this but it turns out to be perfect for me. In fact, it is much better than a waist belt for me.

Since you still plan to hold the leads but are just looking for a keeper then I think DragonflyDM's suggestion is a very good one. Use four foot lead, clipped to itself to form a big loop which you would wear over your shoulder. You could just slip the shoulder leash through the handles of the dogs leashes before clipping it to itself & tossing it over your shoulder. You may prefer the option of using light aluminum carabiners as attachment points, one for each dog's lead. Though almost any 4' nylon lead would work for this, one with a ring on the handle would make it even easier & you could get a leather one to go with your leather leads. :) Ex. http://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-komfort-4-5--english-bridle-leather-snap-lead.html

ETA: DragonflyDM was posting at the same time I am. Actually, I own the leash in that picture. It has nylon loops sewn down the length of it so you have multi attachement points. It's a great idea. Problem is that this leash was simply too long for my purpose. For a taller person it might be perfect.

Edited by kudzu

A friend of mine makes them. Her website is thesilenthound.com and they're under "what's new". I've been thinking of having her make one for me so I can have some back up when I pick up the poop. :rolleyes:

This is what I had in mind!

Thanks!

It looks very similar to the 'High Sierra' ...I posted a link to that one.

Guest dobiegrey

I have two of the ones you found AND I LOVE THEM!! I wear them both at the same time, one for Betty and one for Jack (my Dobe the crazy man!) but they are wonderful, I think you could easily put 3 leads on one, I only have two because Jack pulls in all directions and I don't want him jerking Betty around. I still have leads on them so I can control them but the belts just help when I pick up poop or if Jack pulls too hard I can use my whole body weight with him, I just love the security of having them latched to me!! I have them in harnesses for the belt than leads to martingales. Trust me, I do this every day and people use to comment about the "get up" but now they are use to it and I always tease it is the only way to train for the Iditarod in Floria!!! But I am safe and so are they!!!

Lou

http://www.whitepine...cordNo=1&sc=yes

BTW the ones on silent hounds look wonderful, but I know the ones on white pines are padded and super strong, just my two cents.

Edited by dobiegrey

Before spending any money on it, perhaps you could put a belt through the loops of your leashes, put on the belt, clip the leashes to the dogs' collars and go for a walk to see how or if a hands-free option would work.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Before spending any money on it, perhaps you could put a belt through the loops of your leashes, put on the belt, clip the leashes to the dogs' collars and go for a walk to see how or if a hands-free option would work.

I also thought of this and will test it out today.

I got my walking/running belt from Canadog, a Canadian company. A little pricey but it has D rings for multiple dogs, a water bottle cage and storage for keys etc. Very well made and comfortable. I personally think you are less likely to be pulled over wearing a belt as opposed to holding on to leashes ( I know you said your greys are well behaved). I don't use it for my slow poke greys but do use it for my husky and mix who are pullers. If your greys stay on either side of you without a tendency to cross each other, I think you would like a belt for the added security.

siggy2.jpg