Planting Her Feet On Walks

Guest GryffinSong

Guest GryffinSong

Hi all,

I've been having an ongoing frustration with Kiesha, and I'm hoping some of you have experienced this and found a solution. Kiesha will plant her feet on walks and refuse to move. It doesn't happen all the time. We can walk in the woods, in a quiet place, and she's usually fine. But if a car drives by, or a truck, or anything with a mechanical noise, and sometimes for no apparent reason, she freezes. One time she reacted badly to some construction equipment, I fell, scraping my knees, and the only way back to the car was past the equipment. Here I am, a middle aged woman, blood running down my knees, arm weakened from cancer treatments, attempting to move her. And it was getting dark and I had no flashlight. I was a mess, tears streaming down my face, knees hurting, no one else around, and completely baffled as to how to get her back to my car. The only way I finally managed, was by lifting by her harness and holding a fair amount of her weight up. I was exhausted by the time I got to my vehicle.

Anyway. She will walk in the neighborhood if someone else goes with us, with another dog, and they walk in front of us so she's following. She will not let me pass them to walk in front. She will freeze at the point we catch up to the other person. This obviously limits me, because there isn't always someone else to go walking with, and sometimes I don't have the time to get out to a woodsy environment away from cars. Also note that my street is VERY quiet. But she's so darn smart that one experience that makes her nervous seems to affect her forever. These days if I try to walk her in the neighborhood she makes it halfway down the front yard, plants her feet, and refuses to go anywhere but back into the house.

Please help. I've never, ever experienced anything like this with a dog, and I'm baffled how to proceed. :blink:

Thanks!!! :)

There are a few threads on this matter, and I have personally struggled with a statue Kasey and a stubborn walker Ryder.

Sometimes a change in direction helps, sometimes food helps but usually they are too "frightened" or "distracted" to take them. You do need to be aware that this takes a bit of training on your part to help fix.

I will never forget Kasey stopping on me for 20-30 minutes....it took a fellow walking other dogs towards us to jump start him. I found that if I kept up a quick pace, he was less likely to stop and shut down on me.

Statuing like this seems to be a greyhound trait.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

When I first got Annie Bella, she planted herself more than walking, I swear. She still plants occasionally but I have many ways to get her moving.

The first thing I recommend, which sometimes stops the planting, is to not slow down just 'cause she does, if indeed you ever do that. Walk along with the expectation she'll come along and don't slow or stop, even if she falls back a few feet. Without realizing it, we often pace ourselves to our dog's pace, and it should be the other way around.

Try walking her in a circle. Hold her close to your thigh, walk around pressing on her shoulder with that thigh and as you come out, keep on walking. I don't use this any more because it can be awkward on a narrow sidewalk but it always worked for me, if not the first circle on the second.

Give her a gentle push on a shoulder with your knee or a hand. I don't know about other Greyhounds, but Annie Bella does not like that at all. Talk about giving me stinky eye. The push should be firm enough to make her feet move.

Using two hands, give a gentle push on her side. If the push on the shoulder doesn't work with Annie Bella, I do the side push, firm enough so that usually all four feet have to move.

For whatever reason, pushing on her makes her start walking again.

What also works for me, and I tried it out of frustration one time when I was really really really irritated with her, is to stand in front of her, bend down (I bend down so close that often her nose is touching mine), look her straight in the eyes and say with great firmness and aggravation, "Move!" That always gets her going, because if I've reached that point, she knows I am pissed! :P

Often, especially when we're in the driveway heading back home, she'll plant, or go slowwwwwwly, and I use my shame-on-you voice, and say something like, "Shame on you Annie Bella. Shame on you," my voice just dripping with disappointment.

You can always use treats. I never walk Annie Bella without treats in my pocket. They're good for training, if the opportunity comes up, and they're good to get her going. Gotta toss them, though, so your dog has to move. Once she's moving, you start out at a good pace with expectation in every movement.

Good luck. I used to feel so foolish on a public street practically begging Annie Bella to move. In the beginning, I often would tighten her collar and drag her to get her moving. I hated that but....

Edited by Feisty49

Guest Garwood

I found that if I kept up a quick pace, he was less likely to stop and shut down on me.

Works for me, too. My dog does not like stairs, but if I speed up and keep him in tight to me, he usually doesn't put the brakes on.

Edited by Garwood

Guest GryffinSong

I've tried walking fast, as that's my natural pace anyway. When she wants to plant her feet she plants them, and then slips out of her collar or harness if I keep going. :huh

I've also tried treats. When she's frozen she doesn't give them so much as a glance. Maybe I need higher value treats, but I've tried freeze dried chicken which usually gets her all excited. Perhaps fresh meat.

I've also tried changing direction. If it's back to house, she'll usually budge in that direction. If the car is in sight, she'll usually change directions to return to it.

I haven't tried any of the side or shoulder pushing.

I think I'm going to have to spring for one of the harnesses that have an extra strap around the belly so I don't need to worry about her slipping her harness if I keep walking. I probably hesitate in my stride as I make sure to keep upward pressure on the leash to keep her from backing out of her harness.

Thanks, and please keep them coming ...

Guest Garwood

Yes, I would try the harness. She won't back out, and you will have more control. They have a strap from the front to the back that acts as a 'handle' for your dog's back.

If worse comes to worst, you could always pick her up, like a suitcase. :colgate

I've "walked" Kasey's legs before to make him go when he didn't want to.

What an amazing sight to see for sure. Car drives by while I'm with my greyhound, crouched down, picking up his legs and making him walk LOL.

Take one front leg and physically move it. Take the next front leg and move it forward as well. Now pick up the back leg and move it forward, again with the other. I've had this method jump start Kasey before, I think because he's thought I've humiliated myself enough, and put me out of my misery!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Some of my fosters that had this issue ...

She might have sensory overload and in that case - you might just need to stand outside (maybe your driveway) and not go anywhere until she loses her fear of that spot. If she can do that move to a spot that has a bit more distraction and just stand there and watch the world go by. Next, just move back and forth a few yards and see if she keeps up.

Is this a new dog or is it a new problem with a dog that you have had for awhile?

Summer did the chronic statue thing only when she was "new" and was experiencing all kinds of new and weird things. I always let her look and think about it... but then it was "Summer, walk", a little snap on her martingale and away we would go. I find if I EXPECT a dog to do what I want, without any doubts, that it happens.

If there's something I knew that she was afraid of (the garbage truck used to freak her out), I didn't go out when it was there. It's easy enough to avoid the occasional truly terrifying thing -- in your case, it sounds like functioning construction equipment. Once we had a good, healthy, loving bond, I can now walk her past the scary garbage truck solely because she now trusts me to keep her safe.

On very rare occasions, she may still try to statue at something (or even just stop to sniff something that I may not want her to stop and sniff at). I can feel her hesitation through the leash and just keep going with "Summer, walk" and she comes right with me. Also, unless I have given her a release command to roam out at the end of the leash (in our case, the phrase "you're free") and then she can sniff and whatever she wants, Summer walks at heel so she's immediately beside my left knee. Thus I can both see and feel when she is thinking of stopping without permission. I also walk her on a 4' leash, both for subdivision walks and for therapy dog work. If we are camping or hiking, then she gets the 6' leash and the rules are less stringent.

Good luck!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I've tried walking fast, as that's my natural pace anyway. When she wants to plant her feet she plants them, and then slips out of her collar or harness if I keep going. :huh

I've also tried treats. When she's frozen she doesn't give them so much as a glance. Maybe I need higher value treats, but I've tried freeze dried chicken which usually gets her all excited. Perhaps fresh meat.

I've also tried changing direction. If it's back to house, she'll usually budge in that direction. If the car is in sight, she'll usually change directions to return to it.

I think I'm going to have to spring for one of the harnesses that have an extra strap around the belly so I don't need to worry about her slipping her harness if I keep walking. I probably hesitate in my stride as I make sure to keep upward pressure on the leash to keep her from backing out of her harness.

When you adopted your hound, did anyone show you how to properly fit a martingale collar? Its not typical that they slip a collar (I say typical, there are those that are very adept at slipping collars, but it is not the norm). The proper fit on a martingale is:

1) slide the collar all the way up the neck to just behind the base of the skull

2) pull up on the "d" ring

3) put two fingers below the "d" ring as you pull up, the two pieces of metal that come together should not be closer than your two fingers

Using this method to size a collar, you will notice that it takes two hands to pull the collar up over the ears (you usually will have to fold or smash the ears against the head to get the collar off), also note that a properly fitted martingale will not slide all the way down the base of the neck toward the chest (usually barely half way down the neckline).

If your collar was not properly fitted, now that it is correct, the next time she "statues" slip your hand into the area between the "d" ring and the base strap (the place described above), hold it like a suitcase and walk. Keep an upbeat cheery voice saying things like "ok, lets go" inflect your voice and just walk. You need to be firm, but not angry or otherwise perturbed. Keep her head tucked against your hip and walk. She seems to be afraid of things, so if you have properly fitted the martingale and she still slips the collar, get a harness that is specially made for greyhounds, try Wags Wiggles & Wiskers, their harness is excellent.

If you do get the harness, you can use the same method but grab the harness like a suitcase and simply walk. I don't have much time for begging and pleading with my hound to walk. I simply take them for a walk. If you have a hound that is shy or scared, this method while seemingly mean, actually is better as they will look to you to protect and "lead" them. I have a shy girl that cannot handle large crowds of people. I have a harness for her. When we go to into large crowds of people she gets very nervous, especially if people try to pet her. I simply grab onto her harness and pull her up against my leg and walk with her. She has learned that I will protect her and not let the "evil" people get her. Realize that her fear can be helped to a certain degree by your confidence.

Chad

Guest Pat2003

Fiesty49 has great suggestions, it is like dealing with a balky horse, you have to get the feet moving and "change the mental state".

I would only add that when you feel her slowing immediately change direction or circle, moving briskly, and with an upbeat voice say something like lets go, come on girl, move along. DON'T LET HER STOP - happy voice, briskly walking until she has gotten over her brain "fart" and is moving easily with you. Then you say yes, good girl,i.e., lots of praise but keep moving. Once she realizes that you won't put up with her behavior, she'll give up the behavior. It took about a month with mine when we first got her. Once she knew freezing wasn't an option she never did it again. Also, she had built a bond of trust with me which was probably the most important thing. I would also suggest doing basic obedience. That gets her listening and obeying you.

I'll bet that in a few weeks you will have solved this problem.

Guest GryffinSong

Thanks everyone. I've become convinced, from what all of you are saying, that the harness will be key. Yes, I've used martingales for decades and know how to fit them. Kiesha has a particularly small head and can slip out even when I have the collar right up behind her ears and lifting up so its tight. Ditto with a traditional harness. I've been googling now for awhile since reading these replies and am looking at the Web Master dog harness by Ruff Wear. I've seen this on a whippet, and the owner strongly recommended it.

I've had Kiesha for over a year now. It's been an ongoing problem, but I've had a ton of health issues and haven't been walking her as often, so its easy to forget about it. We have a fenced yard and she does zoomies almost every day. But she's really brilliant and gets bored easily. My health is improving, and I'm hoping to get out with her more often. The statue issue gets in the way of that. If I can only walk for 15 minutes, for instance, I can easily do it in my neighborhood. But having to gear up, get in the car, drive, etc., turns my 15 minute walk into an hour long excursion. If I can get her into a harness that she can't get out of, I think some of these methods will work. In thinking about it, my attempts to keep her from slipping her collar or harness are definately getting in the way of that positive attitude that might keep her moving.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Health problems definitely make it tough. I didnt mean to insult you, I didnt know if you knew how to fit a martingale, not everyone knows. Just trying to be helpful. I do swear by the WWW harness, the strap that goes underneath is backed in soft velvet so it is very comfortable.

Chad

Ethan had this problem for a long time. I resolved it by standing by his side and pulling on the leash and saying, in a very firm voice, let's go! I had to take control over the situation and I think it surprised him. That has worked for us and now he loves going on his walks! Good luck.

Guest GryffinSong

No worries, Chad. :) I didn't feel insulted.

I've posted a note about harnesses in the "Everything Else Greyhound" forum and am looking at the Spook Harness by Majestic Collars and the Web Master by Ruff Wear. Both have the extra strap that goes around the belly, so there'd be no way whatsoever for her to pull out of them. The Spook Harness is $30 without trim or padding. The Web Master is $50, but has all kinds of padding, is much fancier (the spook harness is plain webbing), and has a really nice padded handle in case you need to help your dog over an obstacle or get them moving. Both will solve the escape problem, and make it easier to help her get over this statue thing. I just have to decide how much to invest in the solution, and whether having the padded "Cadillac" version is worth the extra money.

Thanks again, everyone! You've taken me from frustrated and hopeless feeling to optimistically confident in a few short hours. :)

Guest GryffinSong

Update: Thank you, everyone, for all your great ideas. I've ordered the Web Master harness, and am feeling really good about our prospects for enjoyable walks. :)

Maddy is a reluctant walker. Drives me insane. Even walking from the car to the dog treat store is an ordeal. There's NOTHING wrong with her, she's just stubborn like her mother.

Sometimes she'll walk SLOWLY if I tell her how nice and cooperative she's being :rolleyes:

Usually I just end up behind her pushing her along with my knees. Usually gets all sorts of attention.

I'm like - "you're a DOG, dogs walk!"

We lived in an apartment when we got her mom (Mimi) and walked her in the park next to our apartment complex. When she decided she was done she'd stop and stare off in another direction until we gave up and went the way she wanted (back home) and then she'd trot along happily.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Fiesty49 has great suggestions, it is like dealing with a balky horse, you have to get the feet moving and "change the mental state".

I would only add that when you feel her slowing immediately change direction or circle, moving briskly, and with an upbeat voice say something like lets go, come on girl, move along. DON'T LET HER STOP - happy voice, briskly walking until she has gotten over her brain "fart" and is moving easily with you. Then you say yes, good girl,i.e., lots of praise but keep moving. Once she realizes that you won't put up with her behavior, she'll give up the behavior. It took about a month with mine when we first got her. Once she knew freezing wasn't an option she never did it again. Also, she had built a bond of trust with me which was probably the most important thing. I would also suggest doing basic obedience. That gets her listening and obeying you.

I'll bet that in a few weeks you will have solved this problem.

The above, but my two have driven me to tears as well, although they unfortunately froze looking in opposite directions, leaving me strung out in the middle. I sat down and howled!

We still freeze (but from prey drive not fear so much), and a happy voice, 'Let's go! Come on! Good girl! This way!' seems to work for me. All of these are commands I use anyway - they are used at different and in different situations (let's go - stop sniffing and move on, usually accompanied by leave it, come on - you're walking too slowly, let's get going, before it starts to rain, this way - change of direction, come to the other side of the tree, pole, car, off the road.), and using them for freezing seems to trigger a different part of the brain.

I've found moving them sideways is exactly like moving a horse as well. It works and you don't need as much strength to do it. With a horse (or a really determined hound) you probably don't win a contest which is straight forwards or backwards, but they find it more difficult to brace sideways.

Guest verthib

Personally I would not use physical force to move your dog (unless it's an emergency). Nor would I put my face right in my dogs face and yell a command. Angus has been and still is a statue at times and I use encouragement and treats. Sometimes it's just a matter of redirecting them from whatever is making them freeze. He has a favorite toy that I used to keep in my pocket which helped with the distraction. I also do a LOT of 'good boy!' when he's walking at a nice pace and when he gets moving again from a stop. My mother thought I was crazy for praising his walking at first but I think it's been a big help. Praise the good behavior vs physically moving them. It makes them feel like they have a choice and will more readily make it, as opposed to being stubborn.

Guest fathermark

Jay tended to freeze when I first got him, and still does it occasionally especially if we're nearing the end of a walk and he doesn't want to head toward the house. I found that if I "trot in place" for a few steps and then slowly trot forward for a few steps he always follows me. Any time he slows down I just trot for 2 or 3 steps and he speeds up. Works every time!

Capri will do that to express her opinion about where we should go when we're walking. She LOVES the W&OD bike trail which is near our house, so whenever we walk past the street that leads to it, she will stop and look down the street. Most of the time I'm able to tell her we're not going there today and she'll come with me.

Another scenario is that if I try to walk her in bad weather (we try to keep the routine in all weather), she'll express her opinion of the weather. Looking back at the house but coming with me slowly means she's not in favor of walking but will just to make me happy. If we're in blowing snow, she will turn her whole body facing the house and refuse to move. In that case, she wins. :lol (I'm not a bully, after all.)

A few months ago she got it into her head that dad should join us on our evening walks, because he did once or twice. (He does morning walks, I do evening.) If she knew he was in the house she would try to plant and wait for him to come out and join us. In that case, I pulled her along and didn't take no for an answer. We found dad still in the house 15 minutes later when we got home, shockingly enough! :lol She stopped doing that now, fortunately!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Update: Thank you, everyone, for all your great ideas. I've ordered the Web Master harness, and am feeling really good about our prospects for enjoyable walks. :)

I think half the battle is feeling good. I used to dread going for walks with Annie the first two weeks after adoption because of her planting. Walks should be fun for both, not dreaded. When I got advice about doing circling and continuing walking coming out of the circle, and it worked, I felt in control. Success breeds success and when the circle thing worked, I started feeling comfortable about doing other things, such as the pushes on her shoulder or her entire side, that were less cumbersome.

Wow! I thought it was just my grey who planted her feet when she was out for a walk. Usually she does it when she hears a strange noise, especially on our night walks. I found the best way to get her going again is to walk her in a circle - that usually gets her going again. Once in awhile I need to pull her tight to my left side and rub her head to distract her from whatever has spooked her. Luckily it has not been happening as often now. I tend to think it started when I first got her home and there were so many new noises around. Now I notice how normal noises do not get her attention anymore.

Guest hollyhound2000

Can you carry a small squeaky toy in your pocket. When all else fails, my grey will almost always react to the persistent squeak squeak squeak to move!

Guest verthib

Can you carry a small squeaky toy in your pocket. When all else fails, my grey will almost always react to the persistent squeak squeak squeak to move!

We tried that! And although Angus hardly "plants", he can and he's strong so moving him is a challenge. The squeaeky toy worked! We also brought it to play group and when he started getting too rough with the smaller dogs, I distracted him with a squeak. Thank you!