Goat's Leg

Doc dearly loves to gnaw on a bone, and I'm all in favour as it's good for his teeth, but they're not easy to get hold of round here - none at the supermarket, or at most of the local butchers' either.

Our local halal butcher does, however, stock goats' legs. Very inexpensive (3 for £1!) and rather gruesome-looking, but I'm sure he'd love to try one - can anyone tell me whether they'd be safe for him? I hesitated about buying one, because of it being a weight-bearing bone - or is that only a problem with larger, heavier, animals like cows?

Many thanks. His main diet includes some raw, by the way - chicken wings for breakfast and other things like offal and beef mince with his dinner when I can buy them inexpensively - and his teeth are pretty good!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Given my recent experience with lungworm with Daisy, I have learned that goats can get lungworm from eating slugs, snails, or plants where they've been.

Also read that a human can't acquire lungworm from eating cooked meat. I do not, however, know what will happen if raw meat/bones are consumed. I would ask a local vet, as lungworm appears to be a bigger problem in the UK than the US.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Just curious why he'd have access to chopped up goats. Do they eat goats in the UK?

The legs are sold at a halal butcher's, so mostly catering for our local Muslim community. I think goat is also used in some traditional Caribbean dishes.

I've eaten kid/goat meat myself, in North Africa - good flavour, if not too old and stringy. These legs I should think are intended for boiling up for stock/stew, as there is not much meat on them!

Daisydoodle, that's a good point about the lungworm - thank you, I will check that out. Anyone got any advice on the 'weightbearing' aspect?

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Just curious why he'd have access to chopped up goats. Do they eat goats in the UK?

The legs are sold at a halal butcher's, so mostly catering for our local Muslim community. I think goat is also used in some traditional Caribbean dishes.

I've eaten kid/goat meat myself, in North Africa - good flavour, if not too old and stringy. These legs I should think are intended for boiling up for stock/stew, as there is not much meat on them!

Daisydoodle, that's a good point about the lungworm - thank you, I will check that out. Anyone got any advice on the 'weightbearing' aspect?

Thanks.

Had no idea what a halal butcher was! Learn something new every day.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I would think it would be ok, goats usually aren't very big/heavy, closer to lamb in size than beef. I'd give it a try, that is if the lungworm thing isn't a problem. I've fed mine goat on occasion, but here it comes from the Carcenerias usually cut up into pieces. The only thing I've taken away is a big old socket (hip, probably), mostly because I didn't want to stand around and wait while Fletcher worked on it, and with multiple dogs, I wasn't going to leave them unsupervised with bones!

Cooked goat is yummy.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I would think it would be ok, goats usually aren't very big/heavy, closer to lamb in size than beef. I'd give it a try, that is if the lungworm thing isn't a problem. I've fed mine goat on occasion, but here it comes from the Carcenerias usually cut up into pieces. The only thing I've taken away is a big old socket (hip, probably), mostly because I didn't want to stand around and wait while Fletcher worked on it, and with multiple dogs, I wasn't going to leave them unsupervised with bones!

That's good to know, thank you - and I've checked and the lungworms aren't an issue, he would have to eat the snails himself to get infected lungworm information

So thanks all and yes we'll give it a go :chow!

I agree that goats are small enough that it's likely fine.

And yes, goat is tasty. I get mine from a local goat farmer. :chow

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would absolutely give that as a chew - raw only. I've had no problems with cow leg bones in my home. Goat should be perfect!

Great - thank you!