Now Faith Is Leaking Poo

For those of you who didn't see my other thread, here's a summary of Faith's tummy issues.

So we made it through the night fine. On our morning walk, there was no sense of urgency, we were probably 10-15 minutes in when she pooped. Poop was largely mucous again, but she only had a little bit of cooked chicken and some canned pumpkin along with her first Flagyl for dinner last night.

I did talk to the vet who ran her fecal this morning and he suggested treating prophylactically as well so I went ahead and gave her her ground raw chicken (a smaller amount than normal) with flagyl and the first dose of Panacur. I wanted to see how the chicken would sit before feeding a larger meal. When I got up a little bit ago to take them out, I noticed she had some poop around her anus and on the base of her tail. I think it probably leaked out while she was sleeping. She didn't poop when we went out, squatted once by nothing came out.

We're back inside now and I just fed her a second small meal of chicken and will take her out again in a couple of hours. She's not her usual bubbly self, not lethargic but lower energy, which I think is to be expected and her appetite is really good.

So my main question is, is this leaking sometimes a normal part of stomach issues like this, or should I be concerned?

ETA: And by concerned, I mean more concerned than I already am, current level of concern being high to very high, also known as my normal level of concern anytime something is even slightly off with one of my dogs. :blush:rolleyes:

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This is kind of gross, but, Pinky had a similar issue after surgery - she would fart and would have a little bit of poop come out like you're describing. Maybe that's what happened with Faith?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Not normal. Only had that happen once and dog at that time benefited greatly from injectible meds. I'd get her to the vet. How are her temperature and hydration status?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Not normal. Only had that happen once and dog at that time benefited greatly from injectible meds. I'd get her to the vet. How are her temperature and hydration status?

What was wrong with that dog?

Her temp is normal (101), she's hydrated, and she's acting normal. I think (hope) Kristin may have been right. We haven't had a repeat of the leaking and we just walked again and she did not have any diarrhea. I'll feel a lot better when she poops a real poop. Until then I'll continue to monitor her and if things are still off tomorrow morning, I'll take her to the vet (and obviously if they get worse again, I'll take her to the e-vet).

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That dog: Presumed virus. Worrisomely sick for 2-3 days, not so hot for another week, then better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That dog: Presumed virus. Worrisomely sick for 2-3 days, not so hot for another week, then better.

Okay, thanks. I will continue to monitor her temp, which I stupidly hadn't thought to do yet and see how things go.

I'd be somewhat worried at this point because it's been awhile since this started and the goal should be to get her GI tract less irritated. I'd also stop giving any raw food - it could be making the issue worse. Some dogs can't handle raw especially with the bacteria load.

Do a bland diet with cooked hamburger and rice with some veggies and see if it gets better.

Everything looks good this morning. She's back to playing, hasn't had any more accidents and had a fairly normal poop this morning. So I think we're on the mend. Thanks.