Raw Diet Questions!

Guest ravenchilde

Guest ravenchilde

Hi all!

I posted a few weeks ago about starting Miley on a raw diet because of continued IBD symptoms. I have to say, the change in her stool is remarkable! Instead of 4-5 BM's a day that were soft, at best, we only have 1-2 BM's a day, and they are firm and totally pick-up-able! It's amazing!!!

However, I am looking for advice from some more experienced raw feeders. I have noticed that Miley's energy level has decreased quite a bit. She's still perky when you ask her to go for a walk and is great on the walks and she's also always ready to eat, but when it's not meal time or walk time, she just lays on her bed. I've also noticed that she's stopped cockroaching onto her back, which she used to do every day while on kibble.

Right now she's getting 2.5 patties of bison (meat/bones/organs) made my urban carnivore, plus about 2/3's of a cup of yams per day. We've been giving her bison tongue as treats, which she loves. Miley is 55 pounds, and looking rather skinny. Any idea on how to increase her energy levels and put some weight onto her without breaking my pocket book?

Looking forward to your replies!

Guest Swifthounds

Sounds like your hound is doing better. Congratulations on taking the plunge.

I would lose the yams as a start and stick to the meat, organ, and bone.

You didn't specify the weight of the patties, so I'm not sure how much you're feeding in relation to her weight.

Bison meat is much leaner than beef. When I feed beef, I go for something like the 80/20 or 75/25. She probably just needs more fat for energy than she is getting. You can add fat in a variety of ways. Is there a reason you news to stick with the buffalo?

Adding fat would be the usual recommendation, but since you've been dealing with tummy problems, I can understand why you'd want to hold off for a while. Can you add more of what you're feeding? 3 patties maybe? Greyhounds eat more for their size than other breeds. That's great that it's working so well for Miley. yay.gif

I'm pulling this out of my behind tongue.gif but could it be that she feels more comfortable, not as gassy? So she's resting better? dunno.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Cris_M

Congrats on getting Miley's IBD under control!

There is probably a different way to feed raw for every raw feeder out there. So, here goes.

I, too, would drop the yams, but I've never dealt with IBD. I would gradually remove them from her diet. If you do that and realize the yams are doing something good for her, it won't be hard to get her back to where she needs to be.

Other posters make good points. If she is thinner now, her energy level is likely to be down. Do look at feeding her more, but DON'T feed a whole lot more at once. That will make any dog have bigger, messier poops, and you sure don't want to deal with that again. Just add a bit more every day.

It is also likely that she has become more chilled with her new diet. We noticed that with Duncan. He was plenty perky about doing things he liked, but he created a new level of relaxing on raw. He's been on raw for so many years that I had forgotten that change.

If the diet is responsible for a decrease in energy, adding fat will definitely help. However, it can make for looser stools. If you need to add fat, do it slowly.

Personally, I don't like pre-made raw food. There isn't a way for me to know what the fat/bone/meat/organ ratios are. Even the best of producers must have trouble having consistent ratios. From what I have read, bone tends to take up a greater ratio than is generally recommended; it's cheaper. Greys tend to need more bone to keep nice poops, but they still need meat and fat for good health. The other problem (IMO) is that your pup doesn't get to chew. Chewing and crunching provides your dog with entertainment, and it's fun.

You don't say how many pounds of "meat" you are giving Miley. At 55 pounds, she should be getting between 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a day. I have no idea how yams work into that equation. The patties would have to be about 10 ounces each to get her to 1 1/2 pounds of "meat" a day.

Whatever you are doing, you are obviously on the right path. Both you and Miley must be loving her new, few, small poops! Give a an ear scritch for me.