Duct Tape On Corns

We discovered corns on Teddy's 2 front paws and put duct tape on. It's been about 3 days. What is the next step? (I am awaiting the boots and cream)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Replace it every couple of days (or sooner if the tape shifts off-target by accident). Eventually you should be able to pull out a chunk of the corn. May not be a permanent fix (corns are rarely permanently cured, sadly), but will provide intermittent relief. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest BlueCrab

Like Aimee (ZoomDoggy) said, replace every couple days. Keep the piece tiny, covering no more than just the corn itself and perhaps a little around. I cut a 1" piece, stick it to the fridge, then using sharp scissors cut off small squares from the tape as I need a new piece.

We've been extraordinarily lucky with duct tape. We went thru perhaps 6 months with a bad limp on the right front, obvious corn with an obvious one on front left that didn't seem to cause pain. Concentrating primarily on the painful RF we tried hulling with a grey-saavy vet, dremmeling at home on a couple x week basis, nightly soaks in epson salts/warm water followed by Kerasolv and covered in socks for the night, regular wearing of TheraPaws on all walks and x-rays to rule out arthritis, foreign body and the big-C.

Our regular (not grey saavy) vet finally said "let's open up that RF pad to see if it's a foreign body" and I said "no". I was grossed out by the thought of operating on her foot. So as the last straw I tried the duct tape. Haven't looked back. The RF corn went away - completely - with probably 3 weeks (?) of duct tape treatment. Left front started acting up back in...perhaps November? Put on the duct tape, gone within a week. And this was a BIG corn.

I've been told that they will come back, that the duct tape doesn't "cure" them, and that it should take longer than it's taken with us. So I will admit that we are really, really lucky. But I'm glad to hear you're trying it. Give it at least a month, I'd say, with daily monitoring. In snow / rain, if it gets loose, remove it, dry it off a bit, give it a little time to finish drying, then re-apply with a fresh piece. As Aimee said, eventually you pull it off and a bit of the corn comes with it. Next time, a little more. Eventually, the whole thing can be shoved out with a fingernail or pair of nail clippers. Pulling it (the tape) off bothered me, as I thought it would hurt, but Trixie never blinked. I also worried that she'd try to eat it, but she never seemed to give it a second thought. Even so, as small a piece as it is, if it did get eaten, it wouldn't make much difference.

Good luck...keep us posted on the progress.

Guest BlueCrab

have you considered having your vet hull the corns?

I know the question was posed to the OP, but I'll throw in my :2c here that we did do hulling with a vet who is reportedly quite good at it and came highly recommended by another member of our group - didn't make any impact with Trixie. She was limping going into the vets and limping just as badly coming out, corn never went away, limp never changed.

Guest xshivax

My boy Byron had a corn in his front left foot surgically removed earlier in the year and it took him forever to want to go on walks again. Now he also has one on his back left foot. I started trying the duct tape over the corn to see if we could avoid surgery. The corn was to the point where it was hallway unattached to the pad. He finally let me

pick it out of his pad. He is much less gimpy now. I do put a doggie sock on his foot for walks. I have therapaws for him, but he hates them. The doggie sock is like a human slipper sock. My friend got them for free at Super Zoo this year. The corn that I picked out was the size of small seed. Do I keep using the duct tape at this point if he is walking on it normally in the house?

My boy Byron had a corn in his front left foot surgically removed earlier in the year and it took him forever to want to go on walks again. Now he also has one on his back left foot. I started trying the duct tape over the corn to see if we could avoid surgery. The corn was to the point where it was hallway unattached to the pad. He finally let me

pick it out of his pad. He is much less gimpy now. I do put a doggie sock on his foot for walks. I have therapaws for him, but he hates them. The doggie sock is like a human slipper sock. My friend got them for free at Super Zoo this year. The corn that I picked out was the size of small seed. Do I keep using the duct tape at this point if he is walking on it normally in the house?

This might be a dead thread. I'd start a new one and ask your questions. I am new to the corn thing so I can't answer it. I would imagine if he is not in any discomfort and the corn is gone, what's the point of the tape?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

I have therapaws for him, but he hates them.

My corn dog hated therapaws. We use Neo Paws now with a lot more success. I'm going to try duct tape for his back corns - hulling & the corn cream don't seem to be making a difference. sad.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Adrianne

I'm using the duct tape on Chevy's corn. For him, it works fast. Tonight, I was able to pick a nice chunk out with just my fingernails, which should give him a fair amount of relief. I'm pretty sure I didn't get it all, so I put another piece of tape back over the spot. I'll just watch him for the next few days and see how he walks.

Chevy doesn't like the Therapaw boot in the house and refuses to even put his foot down, but once we step outside......he's a different boy. That boot has made it possible for him to go on the two and three mile walks he loves so much.

We got the apothecary kit with the therapaws and when I put the boot on Teddy, he tmade like swim like strokes with his leg and hobbled over to a dog bed refusing to get up with it on. Today we have a vet appointment to see what's going on.

I think that's a normal reaction to wearing boots before he is used to them.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Earl has a corn on his left rear paw, what we found helpful was to put thera paw boots on both the back paws - it seemed to make him more "even"

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

One down, one to go! Vet was able to easily hull one corn out. One is not ready and she felt not a problem at this time. I will continue the tape and acid/cream and see how it goes.

Rex hated hated hated his clunky Therapaw. Ililiara (sp?) is the best person in the world and it is a great product -- just did NOT work for us. When we ordered ours she had done a reverse on the velcro and it seemed to rub Rex's top paw. She sent a new one but he hated it too and was obsessed with getting it off.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Shermanator

I think that's a normal reaction to wearing boots before he is used to them.

That is true. My bridge boy Patton had corns, and the first several days he wore his therapaws, he cluncked around like a bull is a china shop. However, after a few days he got used to them (or simply gave up,) :) and wore them without a problem.

We did order 2 therapaws. One for the corn foot, on a rear paw, and one for the other good rear paw. That way his was balanced out while he walked. :)

Guest GreyDogsRule

I started applying duct tape to my little girl hound's corn about a week ago. I have tried to remove the tape and replace with a new piece every couple of days, but she releases a GSOD when I try to do so. The tape is still on the corn and looks to be in good shape. Should I leave it alone for awhile or replace it even under her strong protest?