Sparks Gave Me A Scare Today

Wonder

I thought I had to send Sparks to the bridge today but thankfully my vet calmed me down and was able to tell me that he's going to be ok.

Here's what happened:

Monday around 11am, he jumped onto the couch and my mom heard him scream. He wasn't able to use his left rear leg and was in major pain. She called my vet and he told her to give him tramadol (which I have on hand) and bring him in Tuesday. I was still in Dewey and she didn't want me to freak out so she didn't tell me. Later my vet called me not realizing that it was my cell. While I;m on the phone trying to understand what they are talking about, my mom calls. She told me what happened and I told her to give him the tramadol. She was worried that I would rive straight home but there's no way I could drive 19+ hours.

I did get home Tues night and made arrangements to bring him to the vet today. I had to have my brother take off work and help me get him into his mini van. I cried the entire drive there, thinking it was the end.

The vet techs helped carry him out of the car (he hates to be carried too) and took him right in the back. The vet came out shortly and said that she thought it was his back and would do an x-ray. She was sure that he would have a chance and good quality of life.

I've always known he'd have back issues some day. My vet had told me not to allow him to jump (so my bed is on the floor), no walks, no running. I was still allowing him on the couch which is what triggered this.

X-ray shows 2 spots. It's all a blur now. They gave him a shot and I will continue the tramadol and started pred tonight.

Today sucked but I'm so freaking happy that he's alive. He's still in pain and screams when I help him up. I'm going to make a ramp for the patio stairs and am trying to carry him for now.

He's hanging out in the livingroom and the other pups are blocked out so that they don't get close to him. I'm sleeping on the couch next to his bed.

He hasn't pooped since 5am and he really needs to go. I took him outside around 8pm and he walked (with me holding a towel under his belly) for about 10 mins but he didn't go poop. He did pee twice though. He's almost putting weight on his left leg again :yay

He's lost 1.3 lbs since June so I need to keep an eye on that. I just gave him 3 chicken qtrs and he chowed them down.

I'm so glad my Sparky is still here

Here's a pic from this afternoon. I might post later all the pics from this morning when I thought it was the last pic I'd be taking.

66666_440735912582_527687582_5727684_1557229_n.jpg

Edited to add: they saw on the x-ray what they suspect is a mass in his belly. They ran blood work which was all normal so I am not doing an Ultrasound at this point.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest MnMDogs

Oh god how harrowing. I worry every day about my old man, and I feel for what you just went through. Here's to Sparks feeling better very very soon.

It's so scary when you face something like that. :grouphug Glad your boy is still with you.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I am so glad Sparks is hanging in there!! You must have been freaking out on the drive home like any sane person! Is it possible the mass is just food or are there going to be more tests?

Many, many good thoughts for his full recovery!! Give him a big hug and make yourself feel better!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Guest greydreams

Oh, so sorry Sparks is having a bad time and in pain...poor sweet baby.... What a sweet old face he has, and I can tell their is much love between you two from the picture. Hope Sparks is feeling better soon....sending hugs and prayers your way.

How scary!!!! I'm so glad you have more time with that love magnet! Sending a prayer for healing for Sparks.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest vahoundlover

Oh Kari, how scary!! I'm glad your handsome fella is still with you. Sending lots of good thoughts he still has quite a few more years.

Kari, I'm sorry to hear this. Sending good thoughts to both you and Sparks. How old is Sparks, and how long have you had him?

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

I'm so glad Sparks is doing better today Kari! :grouphug I didn't realize he was having such health issues. We'll be sending healing thoughts his way. :wub:

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

Kari, I'm sorry to hear this. Sending good thoughts to both you and Sparks. How old is Sparks, and how long have you had him?

He turned 12 in March and this month is his 8th gotcha

I'm so glad Sparks is doing better today Kari! :grouphug I didn't realize he was having such health issues. We'll be sending healing thoughts his way. :wub:

He really hasn't been having health issues-I was just being cautious and going by my vets advice not to walk him, let him run and no jumping, etc for the last few years.

It wasn't until Monday that this happened and I didnt know it was his back and thought it was much worse (cancer).

He's walking so much better today. Almost can't tell anything was wrong. I'm still carrying him up the stairs and helping him lay down and get up.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Good for you, Sparks!!!!! He is being such a good boy!!

Take care of yourself, too, Kari!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Glad to hear he is feeling better!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

He has a huge bruise on the left leg and it looks slightly swollen

I'll check it when I get home from work

I couldn't get him to eat at all today but my mom gave him 4 chicken drumsticks and he ate those

He did eat 3 chicken qts last night so I don't think he was hungry today :lol

Before I left for work, took him out to potty and he walked up to me and leaned against me. Brought tears to my eyes.

I love my boy!

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17