Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Count Sirocco in too. Biopsy 7/9 with results on 7/13. Even though I always knew that, statistically, one of our greys would probably be hit by this evil demon, I just wasn't ready for the vet to say the words. When Dr Sheff told me, "I am sorry but the biopsy came back osteosarcoma", my first reply was "it's not in the bone, is it?". (Cleopatra: not the only queen of de' nial.)

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest carolxi

Count Sirocco in too. Biopsy 7/9 with results on 7/13. Even though I always knew that, statistically, one of our greys would probably be hit by this evil demon, I just wasn't ready for the vet to say the words. When Dr Sheff told me, "I am sorry but the biopsy came back osteosarcoma", my first reply was "it's not in the bone, is it?". (Cleopatra: not the only queen of de' nial.)

Anubis was diagnosed on Monday evening; just one x-ray; It is in the early stages, so we may have about 6 months together left. His is the proximal end of his left tibia. They said it could also be two other kinds of cancer, a biopsy would tell - why do I care? They have said the outcome is the same and it seems to me that taking a piece of bone could weaken it. Can you tell I'm in a depressed mood today? :(

We are here too. Today I am in the anger going to bargaining stage...anger feels so much better. Also I think I will skip depression and ignore acceptance altogether and come back to anger. When I'm angry, I get things done so this is where I'll stay and fight.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest bigorangedog

We are here too. Today I am in the anger going to bargaining stage...anger feels so much better. Also I think I will skip depression and ignore acceptance altogether and come back to anger. When I'm angry, I get things done so this is where I'll stay and fight.

Yup, the fight mode is where you need to stay awhile.

Hugs to everyone in this thread. Believe me, I know exactly how this feels. (5 osteo diagnoses this year for us, as most everyone knows.) If I can help anyone in any way, please get in touch. I have done the amp route and the pain management route.

Guest carolxi

I can't get past hurt, weepy and sad right now. But I bounce to happy when I'm trying to make Anubis happy. I'm so worried that he will pick up that I'm sad.

My heart is breaking for you all. :cry1 I am so, so sorry. We are here for you. :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Yup, the fight mode is where you need to stay awhile.

Hugs to everyone in this thread. Believe me, I know exactly how this feels. (5 osteo diagnoses this year for us, as most everyone knows.) If I can help anyone in any way, please get in touch. I have done the amp route and the pain management route.

any help appreciated -- pain management (rivie's is on her rib - so no surgery) -- any tips/advise/help appreciated. any experience with it on the rib cage? thanks in advance!

Guest kydie

I have not been touched by this killer, yet, yet, yet, I am no help here, but to say,, I am so very sorry and will pray for all of you and your brave pups, to keep you strong and your pups pain free :(

Guest nikkikaye

I am in too. I am crying so hard as I type this! I cant believe I am in this awful club. My sweet sweet Jasmine (DSJ Jasmine) born April 1, 2000 was diagnosed this morning. Altho doc told us not in lungs yet, and tumor still small in right hind leg- she is not weight bearing at ALL on the back leg. Last nite- yes, LAST nite at 9pm, I took her and her guy (Ben 11) to a park where they ran around in a big field for a few minutes and then jumped into the back of my SUV for water, treats and a quick ride home. She struggled getting up the 2 steps into the porch to get into the house- nothing unusual as they are getting older and arthritic & the humidity of florida doesnt help much. But this morning she woke me up almost completely lame on that back leg. No fractures, nothing. She has been in intense pain all day. Just fell aslepp at 6pm. (went to vet at 8 am- got torb for xrays, rimadyl & tramadol twice since then- and still panted in pain all day) I am devastated. I once heard it is from all the steroids they use in racing. Is that true? Has any of you seen a greyhound go from seemingly normal one day to complete lameness & gut wrenching pain (with no fractures) the next day? NO matter how many drugs I pumped in her, she is panting & seems in extreme pain. Oh and BTW, this gh is not a complainer. She only shows pain in extreme circumstances- unlike her bro who screams bloody murder if you accidentally touch his tatoos or something:)

Guest ChasesMum

can a lymphoma diagnosis join in the pity party? :( its not official until the results come in next week but its pretty stinkin likely. If not... I can join in next week.

we don't want to welcome anybody to this awful club - but come on in if the shoe fits -- drat!! so sorry for these latest 2 posts. the original "five" have decided we need to check in with each other once a week at least to update, console, pass on help tips info - so keeping this thread going is as good as anyplace. teri (rivie's mom)

Guest azlorenz

I am in too. I am crying so hard as I type this! I cant believe I am in this awful club. My sweet sweet Jasmine (DSJ Jasmine) born April 1, 2000 was diagnosed this morning. Altho doc told us not in lungs yet, and tumor still small in right hind leg- she is not weight bearing at ALL on the back leg. Last nite- yes, LAST nite at 9pm, I took her and her guy (Ben 11) to a park where they ran around in a big field for a few minutes and then jumped into the back of my SUV for water, treats and a quick ride home. She struggled getting up the 2 steps into the porch to get into the house- nothing unusual as they are getting older and arthritic & the humidity of florida doesnt help much. But this morning she woke me up almost completely lame on that back leg. No fractures, nothing. She has been in intense pain all day. Just fell aslepp at 6pm. (went to vet at 8 am- got torb for xrays, rimadyl & tramadol twice since then- and still panted in pain all day) I am devastated. I once heard it is from all the steroids they use in racing. Is that true? Has any of you seen a greyhound go from seemingly normal one day to complete lameness & gut wrenching pain (with no fractures) the next day? NO matter how many drugs I pumped in her, she is panting & seems in extreme pain. Oh and BTW, this gh is not a complainer. She only shows pain in extreme circumstances- unlike her bro who screams bloody murder if you accidentally touch his tatoos or something:)

Oh no. I am so very sorry.

Guest ChasesMum

I posted on the food and dietary thread about feeding a cancer patient and home made food if anyone has any ideas or thoughts. I was send a good article and recipe from one poster taht I can forward to anyone interested.

hugs to all!

Guest ChasesMum

well from a major pain for the dog end of things, our George we lost 3.5 yrs ago to osteo, had been to the off leash park, jumped into my suv, and had a couple chiro adjustments and different things and a couple sets of xrays in the 2 weeks preceeding. the last set, his xrays were cleared from our vet and yet was on a fentanyl patch and codeine and he was still in pain. They sent them to an oncologist who was still only 85% sure it was osteo. He was in so much pain it was either amp or pts within the week. We amputated and he had 4 more wonderful months, most of them fairly pain free. he was only 4 when he passed. my guess is your Jasmine just aggravated it enough - but she enjoyed the heck out of going, right? so if she never goes again you know she had a good time the last time she went, and that is something good to think of.

I am so very sorry for all of you. While I am not currently a member of the osteo club, I lost my Indy in February to nasal cancer and I can assure you that was no fun either. Indy's blood is still on the furniture, walls, and carpet - and in my heart. :cry1

I believe we all go though a metamorphosis of some sort following the loss of someone we love - human or animal. Indy was the four-legged love of my life and there really wasn't anything I didn't do for him. Therefore, I can honestly say I have no guilt. Miss him? Everyday. Do I still cry and get very teary when I think about him? Absolutely. And several years ago, I also lost my beloved mother to cancer, so it's been tough.

But something wonderful has also happened in that my heart opened in a way I never expected. After Indy died, my other hound Holly, 11, was so sad and clearly grieved the loss of her companion. Again, while I didn't "need" another dog I adopted a 9 year old male grey thinking Holly would eventually like a buddy. The relationship has not gone the way I had hoped so I decided to adopt yet another hound - an 11-1/2 year old male - who I believe is the dog I was looking for all along.

I guess my point is: it's the old circle of life (which isn't always fair, by the way). Indy's physical and spiritual transition allowed me to offer a home to two senior homeless greys -- so there is a rainbow somewhere in there.

It doesn't lessen the heartache or make it go away. All you can do it try to put the loss in perspective and allow love and forgiveness to prevail.

Wishing you all strength and courage during the difficult days ahead. :heart

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Even though I always knew that, statistically, one of our greys would probably be hit by this evil demon, I just wasn't ready for the vet to say the words.

I remember when I opened the email from Dr. Couto. My ortho had noticed something on the x-ray my vet had taken that she had missed and re-xrayed. I left his office thinking it wasn't osteo b/c he had listed off so many other possibilities. We were going to x-ray again in 2 weeks, but I posted here and a few comments convinced me that I needed to send the x-rays immediately to Dr. Couto. Still, I was not expecting him to say that's what it was, and with so much confidence, nor did I expect a response so quickly. To say it was like a punch in the gut is a HUGE understatement. I had convinced myself if I ever had to deal with it, it would not be with Neyla, my heart dog, my first dog, the love of my life. Talk about denial, boy, did I chastise myself for that more than almost anything else. :rolleyes: Anyway, just thinking about that moment brings me to tears again - it's heart wrenching, gut wrenching pain I haven't experienced many other times in my life. All of this to say, I know how you feel. :grouphug

You do go through teh stages of grief - denial, anger, and so on. I think a level of acceptance is good, so that your pups don't witness your pain on a daily basis, but acceptance doesn't mean giving up, not in the least. Our dogs are fighters and we should fight for/with them.

The one thing I am grateful for, that someone else mentioned - I will not have guilt when I let my girl go. This dx was an eye-opener, I was spreading my energy and attention too thin, b/w my fosters and boarders, now it's all about her and Zuri as it should be, and she is happier than I have ever seen her. So when the time comes, I will know she was as happy as she could be up until then. I think that's our challenge - in the midst of all of our fear, anger and pain, we have to make their lives the best taht we can with the time we still have.

Sorry, :blah :blah I know I'm rambling. For me, talking with others who have gone through or are going through this has been perhaps the most helpful thing - hopefully my ramblings will help someone else as much as they help me. :blush

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest azlorenz

"Sorry, I know I'm rambling. For me, talking with others who have gone through or are going through this has been perhaps the most helpful thing - hopefully my ramblings will help someone else as much as they help me."

Don't you apologize. That is why we are all in this thread. To share and help each other along this journey. I'm glad to hear that Neyla is living life to its fullest. :grouphug

Edited by azlorenz

Guest ChasesMum

How is everyone this morning? i had a good cry with Chase. :( I have to watch myself around my older DD's (5.5 and 2.75yrs), and not lose it when they are watching.

one really super crappy coincidence is that my father in law has had a relapse in his cancer and is waiting to hear from the cancer clinic himself. blargh.

I am so very sorry for all of you. While I am not currently a member of the osteo club, I lost my Indy in February to nasal cancer and I can assure you that was no fun either. Indy's blood is still on the furniture, walls, and carpet - and in my heart. :cry1

I believe we all go though a metamorphosis of some sort following the loss of someone we love - human or animal. Indy was the four-legged love of my life and there really wasn't anything I didn't do for him. Therefore, I can honestly say I have no guilt. Miss him? Everyday. Do I still cry and get very teary when I think about him? Absolutely. And several years ago, I also lost my beloved mother to cancer, so it's been tough.

But something wonderful has also happened in that my heart opened in a way I never expected. After Indy died, my other hound Holly, 11, was so sad and clearly grieved the loss of her companion. Again, while I didn't "need" another dog I adopted a 9 year old male grey thinking Holly would eventually like a buddy. The relationship has not gone the way I had hoped so I decided to adopt yet another hound - an 11-1/2 year old male - who I believe is the dog I was looking for all along.

I guess my point is: it's the old circle of life (which isn't always fair, by the way). Indy's physical and spiritual transition allowed me to offer a home to two senior homeless greys -- so there is a rainbow somewhere in there.

It doesn't lessen the heartache or make it go away. All you can do it try to put the loss in perspective and allow love and forgiveness to prevail.

Wishing you all strength and courage during the difficult days ahead. :heart

What a lovely, insightful, hopeful post. Reading everyone's pain and anger brings back Winnie's and Lacey's diagnoses like they were yesterday. At the beginning of this journey, I think the anger and pain are normal, justifiable and sometimes even productive, if that anger is channeled into seeking answers and knowledge. But the sadness and depression are normal too. I think at some point, when we are able to focus less on our own sadness, there comes another step in the journey. That is the pride and admiration we feel when we let them teach us about quiet courage, determination, and living wholly in the moment. And what we can learn from them fills us with a love so strong it feels as if our hearts will burst. It gives us hope when we remember that life truly is a circle. Because we've known such love, we will always own enough that we can continue to give it away to the ones who really need it. And then they give it back to us.

Hugs to everyone who is dealing with the monster. You're all in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown