Doxy Side Effects

Guest ChasesMum

Guest ChasesMum

chase has been on Doxy for a week after being diagnosed with Ehrlichiosis.

Yesterday I missed her pepcid dose and rushed out the door to the lake and she really went downhill. She vommitted bile and water, and had some diarrhea, and stopped eating yesterday.

today I got enough food in her that I was able to give her the meds, and she has perked up some but the vet took a look and she is really tender.

He figured a gastroenteritis from the meds so we are getting her off the pred faster (why we didnt at first I don't know :rolleyes: )and they wanted me to fast her but sincce she already faster 24 hours i am skipping that part. a chunk of her issue at least was that she hadnt eaten!

Any other tips or tricks?

i have both pepcid and zantac for her. i think they are saving the sucralfate for a heavy hitter if things continue to degrade.

I can't remember how long she's been on Pred and what dose, but what do you mean by getting her off it faster?

How fast?

As for the Doxy, I know it really upsets their stomach but Pred can cause stomach issues as well, even an ulcer

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Swifthounds

Sucralfate or Slippery Elm bark would be my choice over Zantac and Pepcid, both of which make the issue temporarily better and then worse.

Guest ChasesMum

trudy... yeah I asked for Sucralfate and got ranitidine liquid but I didnt notice it wasnt what I wanted until I got home! :angry: and he didnt tell me if I should be stopping the pepcid, giving both, or what. aargh. and once I got home his office was already closed. I will be seeing someone in 10 days to get more labs run (thinking I'll see our vet who can run the cbc in office) and I will get some then at the latest... sooner if she needs it tho for sure!

cbudshome... SHe has been on pred for 2 weeks. she started at 25mg BID for 7 days, then 25mg once a day for 5 days, then 12.5mg once a day for 3 days (that's where we are today). He had said to take 12.5mg for 4 more days then every other day for 4 rounds. tOday when he saw her he said "yeah just take her off the pred". :unsure ummmm then why didnt we lower it every 3 days instead? (if that makes any sense). I originally chalked it up to not wanting to shock her system more by tapering off too fast. I felt at first that it was taking too long, now I feel like we are skipping a step! aargh. I think that because she has been on 12.5mg for 3 days I will do it every other day for a few treatments to give her that last step of weaning.

they are being conservative in her treatment, and I just feel terrible becasue she was doing fairly well, and I dropped the ball yesterday and she crashed. :weep

Edited by ChasesMum

they are being conservative in her treatment, and I just feel terrible becasue she was doing fairly well, and I dropped the ball yesterday and she crashed

Don't beat yourself up, you're human!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Darn, I was hoping she would do well on the doxy.

Although, it is much more likely the pred causing the icky tummy. I'd try giving her some tummy calming foods like pasta, sweet potato or regular potato, scrambled egg that kind of thing. That way she is less likely to throw up bile. Plus you are putting her meds into a fuller tummy so it's easier on her.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest ChasesMum

I may have missed some of the background. Why is she on pred? I would take her off that asap if she has a TBD.

she presented 2 weeks ago with hives all over, and cringing/yelping and shying away from movement towards her head. her pupils were not responding well to light, and she was assumed to be having a majpr allergic reaction to something. we never did find out what (if anything) as the dexamethasone shot and subsequent pred was assumed to have lowered her immune system and caused the ehrlichiosis.

we started tapering her off pred as soon as we got the diagnosis, but you can't just stop pred. so it surprised me that today the tune changed some. but its all new here!

thanks Janet! i couldnt get it together to make rice and egg and burger for her so she got more canned with some kibble. sigh. not ideal, but then what is?? 3 little skin kids and a sick dog is hard!! :blush I am making it now though...

they are being conservative in her treatment, and I just feel terrible becasue she was doing fairly well, and I dropped the ball yesterday and she crashed

Don't beat yourself up, you're human!

thanks, I know. and I didnt know that skipping the pepcid would cause so much grief! definitley won't do that again... hopefully tonight I will sleep better since she seems to be perking up. silly girl...scaring mommy like that!

Sucralfate or Slippery Elm bark would be my choice over Zantac and Pepcid, both of which make the issue temporarily better and then worse.

slipper elm huh? I wonder if our health food store would have that...pill? liquid? is there a choice?

Have you tried Forti Flora

Pam

QC Canada

chase has been on Doxy for a week after being diagnosed with Ehrlichiosis.

Yesterday I missed her pepcid dose and rushed out the door to the lake and she really went downhill. She vommitted bile and water, and had some diarrhea, and stopped eating yesterday.

today I got enough food in her that I was able to give her the meds, and she has perked up some but the vet took a look and she is really tender.

He figured a gastroenteritis from the meds so we are getting her off the pred faster (why we didnt at first I don't know :rolleyes: )and they wanted me to fast her but sincce she already faster 24 hours i am skipping that part. a chunk of her issue at least was that she hadnt eaten!

Any other tips or tricks?

i have both pepcid and zantac for her. i think they are saving the sucralfate for a heavy hitter if things continue to degrade.

Guest mcsheltie

You can safely drop the Pred right now. And if it is what is causing the problem, you need to. The recommendations for tapering are not as stringent as they used to be. Some vets will drop it after a three day/every other dose. Your vet was probably going slow to give the immune system the longest time possible to calm down, not because it isn't safe to drop it faster.

Guest Swifthounds

Slippery Elm can be found in health food and vitamin stores. Vitamin stores and pharmacies usually carry it only in capsule form. Health food stores sometimes carry the powder. With either form, you can mix it with a bit of water to make a slurry or you can give capsules or powders straight. It has no known interactions and really does a stellar job of making a hound more comfortable.

I don't know about dogs, but I can't take Doxycyline because it makes me throw up. I feel worse taking the meds than the reason I went there. Every time they prescribe it for me I tell them how bad it makes me feel. I feel better with food, but I feel like vomiting even with food.(Kind of like how I felt when I was pregnant! :lol ) I would think it could be the same with dogs.

Edited by Dawnnziggy

Guest Swifthounds

Doxy is really well suited for some things, which is why it's used for them. TBDs are one, STDs in humans are another. It's also sometimes used for serious respiratory illness like pneumonia, but if you have a bad reaction to it, I would insist on something else unless there isn't something else well suited. It's recommended not to take doxy in close proximity to calcium, iron, or some antacids, or things containing those.

Guest ChasesMum

thanks swifthounds! she has ehrlichia so there isnt really anything else suited but Imizol and I believe its usually used for a second occurrence or if Dozy is completely untolerated.

and I definitley will look for slippery elm!!

When we have a dog on any antibiotic long-term, we give one bottle of DanActive each day. Archie is on Clindamycin for his leg and will be for several more weeks. He LOVES the Strawberry DanActive.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

It contains live cultures plus some vitamins and minerals

In my experience it works better than acidophilus or other yoghurt based cultures or probiotics.

You can get it from the vet it is made by Purina (not one of my fvourite companies but this stuff works)

Pam

nope... is it a probiotic? i have her on acidophilus

Guest Swifthounds

thanks swifthounds! she has ehrlichia so there isnt really anything else suited but Imizol and I believe its usually used for a second occurrence or if Dozy is completely untolerated.

and I definitley will look for slippery elm!!

Yeah, for TBD you want the doxy. Since it'll be long term and you'll want to avoid iron, calcium, or antacids close in time it limits some of the remedies, but you can certainly add in the Slippery Elm several times/day and perhaps a probiotic tablet (avoids the calcium issue with dairy based cultures as well as the irritation that lactose based products can cause in an already irritated tummy). Keeping :goodluck that maybe the tummy upset s the pred (entirely possible) and you'll be back on track soon.