Intense Vomiting And Panting

Guest mdc

Our 10 year old girl was just fine until about 3pm yesterday when she suddenly vomited extremely intensely. She then became very lethargic. A short while later she began panting incessantly. It seemed to calm a bit but the lethargy remained. Thinking it was just an upset stomach or something she ate not agreeing with her, we didn't worry too much. Around 6pm the panting began again. At dinner time she didn't move (she's normally a garbage disposal). A couple of hours later, instead of her usual dry food, we offered to hand feed her a small amount of wet food to gage her interest. She ate what was offered. Then, around 10pm, while still panting, she got up and vomited very intensely again and began incessant panting again. She's been panting all night. This leads me to believe this is no ordinary upset stomach.

I woke up around 3am to find her still panting and that she had vomited a bit more. Not a lot, but then, she doesn't have anything left in her system from vomiting earlier. I just checked on her now and the panting has stopped but the lethargy remains.

We live nowhere near a 24-hour animal hospital but plan to bring her to the vet in the morning when they open. Should we be panicked?

Panic isn't necessarily a good thing, but I would be very, very concerned and get her to the first available vet that you can. There could be several things going on and her symptoms have been happening without a break, it seems for awhile. Give her comfort and get her care as soon as possible.

Guest wmlcml6

I hope everything is okay but I would definitely take her to the vet this morning as soon as you can. Panting and vomiting like this aren't normal.

Guest greybookends

I would have her AT the vet when they opened up. If they open early to accept surgeries I would have her there then, but then I have a vet where I can do this. I hope all is well but YES you should be very concerned.

Called the on-call vet who met us at 7am. They ran blood work and xrays. Nothing seems terribly out of place. Some concern of fluid in the belly but the vet seems to be at a loss and Deidre looks so miserable. The primary vet is expected in shortly before 9am who we're hoping may be able to find something the on-call vet couldn't.

She doesn't want to walk anywhere. I have to carry her just about everywhere.

Guest Energy11

Glad you are at the vet!

Reading this, I immediately thought Kidney Failure, but you mentioned the testing is normal. If they haven't fully checked the kidney functions, I'd be sure they do.

The only other thing, if all the tests are normal, is maybe a full tick panel. They can draw and spin the blood, and you can send it to Protatek Labs in Arizona. They are usually pretty fast in their turn-around times.

Do you remember her getting into anything at all? Someone here mentioned poison control ... could be something she got into as well.

Sending you love, hugs, and tons of prayers! Dee and The Five

Guest Energy11

Vet thinks it might be multiple organ failure. Ugh.

Sorry to hear that, but like human docs, vets can be wrong, too! The fluids will help her, and please try to hope for the best ... All you can do right now!

We are all sending love and prayers for sure!

Sending prayers from PA.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Thank you, all, for your warm thoughts and well wishes. Unfortunately, things took a turn for the worse as time passed and we had to make the unenviable decision to let her go. We are rocked by how quickly this whole chain of events unfolded. Like so many others, Deidre was an angel of a dog and everything about her will be missed.

Oh no! I'm so very sorry for your loss. I kept following this thread today hoping for better news. Godspeed Deidre.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee