Most Likely It's Lymphosarcoma

ivon

Darla, who is almost 14, had some issues with arthritis already, she has been on Rimadyl, but she can't do stairs anymore, at all, I have to lift her in and out of the car, etc. Last night she only ate half her food, and she had trouble getting up, we had to help her, I noticed her neck was swollen, looked like she had the mumps, and she was panting. This morning her neck was still swollen, even more than last night, and she refused food altogether. I took her to the vet right away, and after a needle aspiration the vet is fairly convinced that Darla has Lymphosarcoma, she is sending the samples in to be sure though. I can't put Darla through chemo, she would be terrified, going to the vet stresses her out as it is, so she is now on Prednisone and Tramadol, If she is not more comfortable tomorrow the vet said we can up the dosage, what can I expect? I should have asked while I was there, but is this painful to Darla? I guess I am hoping the Pred and Tramadol will help her feel better and take care of any pain. I know she will drink and pee more, what else do I need to look for?

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about your Darla!

I don't know a lot about this type of cancer, but the treatment you are receiving seems right. I'd probably email OSU and see if they can offer any advice, and treatments. Dr. Couto's email, and the OSU emails are: couto.1@osu.edu

Greyhound@cvm.osu.edu

Sending you lots of prayers and white light! Dee and The Five

The pred will make her drink and pee more, yes. I found that that effect mostly wore off after several days.

Lots of dogs get along with Tramadol but some don't. It made Joseph pant and stoned/paranoid in a very unpleasant way. So, any weird effects like that, I would discontinue and stick with the pred only.

I'm sorry the news wasn't better and hope the meds have your girl feeling more comfortable. Sending gentle hugs to both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for your kind replies! Yes I think the Tramadol is making her a bit weird, she walks as if she has been drinking.....must be good stuff though, she actually stole a raw hide bone from Spud and proceeded to go to town on it, that is soooo unlike her, she does NOT like to chew, I have to make her canned food/yoghurt smoothies to get her to eat. The neck is still swollen but it has only been 8 hours since her first dose.

Cherish every moment. Our Comet had lymphoma pop up on his throat and left us within 2 weeks. We spoiled him like no other, as I'm sure you are doing with Darla.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks Duckie! I was just thinking why the vet gave me only a 10 day supply of meds, and kind of concluded that sadly, maybe that is all we need....I can't imagine having only two weeks.....yes, she is going to be spoiled, actually has been for some time now, since I had a sense about this...hmmm, I just hope she is comfortable and free of pain, it's so hard to tell sometimes....

Comet's lumps popped up out of nowhere on a Christmas Day.

For what it's worth, I truly never had the feeling that Comet had any pain at all.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oye, she is now walking around aimlessly, I tried to see if she wants to go outside, maybe some more dog food slushy, nothing, she won't lie down, just walking around with this dazed look, looking very confused, and I don't know how to help her, could be the Tramadol? I will just give her the prednisone tomorrow, this is crazy.....whew, she just plopped back onto her bed, still doesn't show any interest in the food....I am seeing now why you all called it the C monster, right now I would like to take the monster out back and beat the crap out of it......it is one thing to take my sweet girl, and quite another to turn her into a dog I do not know....

Guest zoolaine

Sunny was that way when he started the Tramadol. The vet said it can make them kinda mentally agitated - like when humans get wired on some medications - and the restlessness can be a sign of that. Sunny would lay down for about 30 seconds then sit, then shift around, over and over. This got better after a day or so. He also showed mental confusion - he wouldn't want to go out but then when I told everyone to go to bed he would wonder around and then head to the back door. When he did go outside he started peeing behind this bush and would get stuck (which he has never done before in the 5 years living here). Luckily he is starting to act more and more like himself - even though the chemo isn't working and he probably doesn't have much time left, it seems I will get my loving, outgoing Sunny back for a short period.