Cookie's Weekend Fiasco

This weekend, I had Cookie at the E-vet for something silly she did. She ended up having to be sedated/put under, and was administered an IV. The vet called to follow up today, and said that she was putting a note in her file as apparently she is prone to bruising easily, and therefore clotting (I hope I'm explaining this correctly).

She said she was going to be very wary about any future surgical procedures as a result. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I do notice Cookie bruises easily.

She made it out of the procedure ok, and while I have the silly pictures to show, I think I will hold off the humiliation for now.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Guest mcsheltie

Oh ya...lots of recent experience at that! We have had five bleeder fosters in the last couple of months. Talk to your vet about Amicar (aminocaproic acid). You can find more information on OSU's site. You begin giving it before surgery - five days after. We found it at Walgreens. Your vet can also call local hospitals, they carry it.

If you find out you have a bleeder post surgery, Amicar will stop the bleeding.

Has she had platelets checked recently? Probably wouldn't hurt to do a clotting panel on her altho that is pricy.

Hope she heals up quickly and well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Has she had platelets checked recently? Probably wouldn't hurt to do a clotting panel on her altho that is pricy.

Hope she heals up quickly and well.

Ok, thank you for the info (both who replied).

The clotting panel is something I should look into, and also ask the vet about Amicar.

Cookie seems to be all better now. The vet said "She seems to have a nose for trouble- she was stumbling around after waking up and getting into everything she could possibly find- trashcans, cleaning supplies, etc".

I feel so stupid for letting this happen but I had no idea of all things that she would do this. I had been buying the marrow bones from the market, and gave her one to chew on while I was home. One minute, it was between her paws, the next minute it was on her lower jaw- past her canines. I was always afraid she would swallow it, or something so I tried to give her a larger one. No more marrow bones for her. The vet had to cut it off.

Thankfully, I didn't feel so bad when the vet said she had to remove a kong from a dog's jaw at one point and apparently, things like this are common in this particular season.

:blush :blush

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

The clotting panel is something I should look into, and also ask the vet about Amicar.

Just because they do ok on the clotting panel, doesn't mean they are not a bleeder.

Has she had a TBD panel done? What are her platelets, RBC & HCT?

No, I don't think so.

Thanks for the info (again). I know some people mention clotting on here, but I couldn't deduce what the vet was saying regarding the bruising as I'm not really medical term savvy at this point. So if someone or something bruises easily, they are clotters (aka bleeders)?

Forgot to add, the vet had to cut it off. They tried greasing up her jaw and slipping it over, but to no avail.

Guest KennelMom

bleeding and bruising can be a symptom of a TBD. You've gotten good advice so far...

I really just wanted to post add a thank you for sharing the pics. That is freaking CRAZY! :blink: What are the odds of that?! ...though I have heard of kongs getting stuck before.

Guest mcsheltie

Just because they do ok on the clotting panel, doesn't mean they are not a bleeder.

That is right! Bleeders will usually have normal blood work. If they are in dire straights they give a plasma transfusion. And the blood work can still be normal at that time too.

Wonky blood work would indicate another cause for the bleeding i.e. a TBD. I am not sure if VwD affects a CBC... anyone know?

You're not the only ones who have had an accident like that. One of my clients had an older puppy get stuck in a bone the same way. They were gone for the day and by the time they got home the puppy was in a bad way. His jaw swelled up and a lot of skin died and sloughed off. It was nasty!

Forgot to add, the vet had to cut it off. They tried greasing up her jaw and slipping it over, but to no avail.

Bones are good for her teeth so I might suggest that the next time you get marrow bones, get the 6 inch ones. There is no way they can get those stuck. The one in the picture looks to be 2 - 3 inches so I can see how she got it stuck.

Just to add, I have also seen 8 inch marrow bones that would be good for her too.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Clotting and bleeding are opposites :) . You want them to clot, you don't want them to bleed.

A dog can have a good clotting panel and be a bleeder, but clotting panel is a good place to start (assuming platelets have already checked out normal). Low platelets would also cause unusual bleeding.

A vonWillebrand's dog can have a perfectly normal CBC.

Glad your girlie is free of her attacking chewie :lol .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The latest newsletter from the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness program has an article on Greyhounds and bleeding. Here is the link:

Fall 2009 newsletter

There are pictures of various levels of bruising in greyhounds. I hope this helps you understand. Surgery is still an option but your vet needs to be stocked with amicar.

I have heard of dogs getting bones stuck on their jaw. This is the first picture I've seen. You have to be careful when you fill the kongs. It is critically important that you keep the small hole clear of stuffing. In other words, you need to be able to see through from one end to the other. The open hole prevents the formation of a vacuum (suction). If the hole is covered, the dog's tongue can get stuck in the kong and eventually swell and cut off blood flow to the tongue. I wished they put warnings about this on the packaging.

Jane

The latest newsletter from the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness program has an article on Greyhounds and bleeding. Here is the link:

Fall 2009 newsletter

There are pictures of various levels of bruising in greyhounds. I hope this helps you understand. Surgery is still an option but your vet needs to be stocked with amicar.

I have heard of dogs getting bones stuck on their jaw. This is the first picture I've seen. You have to be careful when you fill the kongs. It is critically important that you keep the small hole clear of stuffing. In other words, you need to be able to see through from one end to the other. The open hole prevents the formation of a vacuum (suction). If the hole is covered, the dog's tongue can get stuck in the kong and eventually swell and cut off blood flow to the tongue. I wished they put warnings about this on the packaging.

Jane

Thanks for the infor on the newsletter. Did not know there was a newsletter so good information..

Cookie is a doll! No experience at this end on that type of situation but wanted you to know she is beautiful (of course you knew that)lol.gif

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Bones are good for her teeth so I might suggest that the next time you get marrow bones, get the 6 inch ones. There is no way they can get those stuck. The one in the picture looks to be 2 - 3 inches so I can see how she got it stuck.

Just to add, I have also seen 8 inch marrow bones that would be good for her too.

After looking at it when it got stuck, I knew the opening was too big. I just figured if it were too small she would swallow it, so she got the larger one. I actually asked the local market for bigger marrow bones but they just looked at me like :huh, asked the manager and came back with nothing. I tried those, and they worked so well...

Fall 2009 newsletter

Jane

No kongs here- the one weiner dog rips everything apart, including kongs. Actually he started destuffing all the stuffies as soon as I would put them out on the floor and then I caught Cookie eating one, one day so the stuffies are for when I'm around only (or not at all if I don't feel like picking up bits of cotton and fabric all over).

Thanks again, all for the Amicar suggestion. I think I will end up getting a referral to a larger facility, is what I think the vet means (like Cornell or something). If they can't handle something, they give referrals.

Clotting and bleeding are opposites :) . You want them to clot, you don't want them to bleed.

A dog can have a good clotting panel and be a bleeder, but clotting panel is a good place to start (assuming platelets have already checked out normal). Low platelets would also cause unusual bleeding.

A vonWillebrand's dog can have a perfectly normal CBC.

Glad your girlie is free of her attacking chewie :lol .

I am not sure if VwD affects a CBC... anyone know?

It will not. vWD is a bleeding disorder as in not clotting, not a clotting too easily issue.

Thank you for the information!

The vet joked that she must be trying out some kind of new tribal face gear or something. :colgate

Fall 2009 newsletter

Jane

Thanks for the infor on the newsletter. Did not know there was a newsletter so good information..

Cookie is a doll! No experience at this end on that type of situation but wanted you to know she is beautiful (of course you knew that)lol.gif

Cookie blush-------> :blush :blush

Miss Cookie!! Between you and Ekko, I don't know :rolleyes:

Please do not give your mom heart failure ok?

As she was stumbling around the vet's office after waking up, she was getting into everything! The vet happily scooted her out the door as she was leaving. :lol

The Dr.'s official prognosis: she has a "nose for trouble". Not Cookie! :colgate

Interestingly enough, while I was googling, I found this: The Marrow Bone Incident

I can laugh about this now (a little), but it was so scary saying goodbye to her in the office and hugging her before I left. It's an indescribable feeling.

On top of everything, I am coughing-up-my-lungs sick. Blah.

I can laugh about this now (a little), but it was so scary saying goodbye to her in the office and hugging her before I left. It's an indescribable feeling.

I wish I could say I didn't know that feeling but I do. Scary is an understatement.

I'm just glad she's ok

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

had been buying the marrow bones from the market, and gave her one to chew on while I was home. One minute, it was between her paws, the next minute it was on her lower jaw- past her canines. I was always afraid she would swallow it, or something so I tried to give her a larger one. No more marrow bones for her. The vet had to cut it off.

Marrow bones are great - you do just have to be a little picky about the size. 5-6 inch bones are great. You also have to watch the thickness - bones that are thinner will break easy. We used to get a box of 100 bones in the adoption kennel and the first thing we would do was sort them and throw away the short bones (less than 5" long) and thin bones. Thin bones come from younger cows.

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest hlpnhounds

bleeding and bruising can be a symptom of a TBD. You've gotten good advice so far...

I really just wanted to post add a thank you for sharing the pics. That is freaking CRAZY! :blink: What are the odds of that?! ...though I have heard of kongs getting stuck before.

unfortunately, the odds are quite good ! We see this several times a year in the ER. Worse for the owner than it is for the dog usually.