I'm So Frustrated

Guest FrostyBottoms

Guest FrostyBottoms

Frosty & Vinny both had their Rabies & DHPP booster shots on 10/10 and both of them have had diarrhea since then.

They have been on ground beef & rice for 3 months now....everytime I add in even 5-10 pieces of kibble, they get explosive diarrhea....

I dewormed them, even though the test came back negative...they were on 7 days of Flagyl also. I thought the rice in their poop was worms...but now I can see it was just rice and it's still there. They both are eating their poop which tells me it isn't being digested right (that and the fact that i can see rice!)

The vet has had me add in Metimucil which has really helped firm them up.

At this point...they have pudding poop and that is with the Metimucil (1/4 teaspoon per feeding) and not even 1/4 cup of kibble added in to their beef & rice.

Is there something i am missing? Could this be caused by the shots? Would it last this long if it were caused by the shots? I am going to make another appointment with the vet, is there a test I sould ask for?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:unsure more than likley they both got into or ate the same thing, that caused them both to have the same issues,have they been tested for giardia?tick fever? how is their weight, are they siblings? maybe an issue with the type of protein they are eating Edited by kydie

Guest FrostyBottoms

They haven't been tested for either, only worms. They are loosing weight...not sure how much, but I can see a difference.

ETA they are not siblings.

Edited by FrostyBottoms

Guest eaglflyt

I'd suggest adding in some probiotics. You can pick up the capsules or powder at Petsmart or other pet store. Probios is good. After the antibiotics and deworming, their normal gut bacteria may be all out of balance or depleted. Maybe also try a limited ingredient, no grain food for a trial ... such as Nature's Balance.

I hope their GI tracts settle down soon.

I would guess if they are siblings, they could have issues with beef, although it is not uncommon for many dogs to have beef issues, try ground chicken, and sometimes rice can cause issues too, weight loss can be due to the constant poops,how about fat free yogurt?

Edited by kydie

We had the same thing happen with our first grey, Bruiser. He got his rabies shot in February, and had diarrhea afterward. It went on until we had to put him down 9 months later, due to a quick-growing osteo. Vet never found a cause for the diarrhea. But I've refused to give another rabies shot to any of our dogs over the age of 12 since then (he was almost 12 when it happened). Am I jumping to conclusions and wrong? Maybe. But there are few things more frustrating than long-term diarrhea.

One thing that we tried that at least kept him from having accidents with it in the house (he was able to hold it and "tell" us he had to go) was biosol. IIRC, it's an off-label use (I think it's for sheep or something), but it's cheap. He was on the ground beef and rice diet too, from when it started until a couple of weeks before he passed (when he started limping but before we knew he had cancer) - then we put him on the canned i/d because he had stopped eating the beef and rice.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it must be!

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Guest FrostyBottoms

Initially i had them on boiled checken breast, but that got to be expensive and that is why I switched to beef, maybe i should go back to chicken.

That Forti flora is not cheap stuff, tried that when my GSP was in GI trouble, how long were they on Flagl?

7 days after the first drontal pill....i had them on the forti flora before that though....maybe I should get some more.

Rice does not work for Enza at all. Try instant mashed potatoes - she eats it and binds her up. As for probiotics- I'd just hit up a natural food store and use human pills as it's the same stuff and less $$. I'd also test for giardia as that messed up Enza for months. It took Panacur and flagyl to get her on the right track. As for chicken, I just buy the canned stuff and rinse it. Is it the best? Probably not but it works.

Guest FrostyBottoms

We had the same thing happen with our first grey, Bruiser. He got his rabies shot in February, and had diarrhea afterward. It went on until we had to put him down 9 months later, due to a quick-growing osteo. Vet never found a cause for the diarrhea. But I've refused to give another rabies shot to any of our dogs over the age of 12 since then (he was almost 12 when it happened). Am I jumping to conclusions and wrong? Maybe. But there are few things more frustrating than long-term diarrhea.

One thing that we tried that at least kept him from having accidents with it in the house (he was able to hold it and "tell" us he had to go) was biosol. IIRC, it's an off-label use (I think it's for sheep or something), but it's cheap. He was on the ground beef and rice diet too, from when it started until a couple of weeks before he passed (when he started limping but before we knew he had cancer) - then we put him on the canned i/d because he had stopped eating the beef and rice.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it must be!

The vet mentioned that cancer could be a cause...but what are the chances that both of them at the same time.

O.K. I'm not a vet, but when my GSP was ill, I ended up taking him to an aminal hospital, about 2 hours away, after months of my local vet trying everything, he is a good guy, pup was on flagel for 7 to 10 days, after an $800.00 visit to St. College, pa. I was told my vet wa doing the right thing, but the pup need to be on the flagel for 3 to 6 months, and reglan too, was told it takes a long time for flagel, and feed him yogurt, this finally did the trick,

Guest FrostyBottoms

Rice does not work for Enza at all. Try instant mashed potatoes - she eats it and binds her up. As for probiotics- I'd just hit up a natural food store and use human pills as it's the same stuff and less $$. I'd also test for giardia as that messed up Enza for months. It took Panacur and flagyl to get her on the right track. As for chicken, I just buy the canned stuff and rinse it. Is it the best? Probably not but it works.

I had asked the vet for the dosage if I give my human probiotics to them, and he said they were different probiotics.

O.K. I'm not a vet, but when my GSP was ill, I ended up taking him to an aminal hospital, about 2 hours away, after months of my local vet trying everything, he is a good guy, pup was on flagel for 7 to 10 days, after an $800.00 visit to St. College, pa. I was told my vet wa doing the right thing, but the pup need to be on the flagel for 3 to 6 months, and reglan too, was told it takes a long time for flagel, and feed him yogurt, this finally did the trick,

what is reglan?

reglan, is used to slow the mobility of the digestive system down, so the dog can absorb the nutrients from the food, stool is in the intestional track longer, so some of the water is drawn out too

Guest FrostyBottoms

reglan, is used to slow the mobility of the digestive system down, so the dog can absorb the nutrients from the food, stool is in the intestional track longer, so some of the water is drawn out too

Maybe I should ask for that....then they can actually digest what they are eating.

Guest eaglflyt

They went through 3-30 packs of Forti Flora and the kibble they are on is Natural Balance Fish & sweet potato.

Wow!

Well, I think I'd have the vet check for bacterial overgrowth by testing to be sure. I'd also have them checked for giardia or coccidiosis. If that turns out fine, I think I'd try to avoid beef protein and try perhaps chicken, duck, or venison. If that doesn't help, next, I'd cut out the rice. I do have a friend who has one grey that is allergic to rice and gets explosive D if he has any rice at all.

Maybe this link can be helpful.

Good Luck!

reglan comes in pill form, not hard to give, I have lived with GI issues for almost 7 years with my GSP, and there ain't nothing I haven tried, good luck hope your babies are better soon, I know the nightmare of loose poooo!

Guest FrostyBottoms

reglan comes in pill form, not hard to give, I have lived with GI issues for almost 7 years with my GSP, and there ain't nothing I haven tried, good luck hope your babies are better soon, I know the nightmare of loose poooo!

Thank you!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

J,

Sorry to hear you are having such issues. I used metamucil for Bart as he had very loose stool for a few months as well. It took a while, but I no longer have to give it to him. Maybe you could try beet pulp, or pumkin mixed in with the food? I hope for the best.

Chad

Guest spider9174

There are many probiotics that would work. If you look at the label, you'll see that the human and the pet ones are very similar. They all have acidophilous (sp?). I use Animal Essentials probiotics, which was recommended by a vet and it's also recommended in a dog wellness book I have. You could also try a prebiotic--which is an enzyme to help digest.

There is a product I like called Total Zymes and Total Biotics. http://www.total-zymes.com/ One tub lasted me a few months. It's kind of pricey, but it does last.

Guest FrostyBottoms

I bought Fresh Digest...it has;

Enzyme Blend;

Acid Stable Protease

Amylase

Lipase

Cellulase

I haven't tried it because the vet said he never heard of it.

Maybe I will try all ground beef first....hpefully it will work!

If not, I will add this stuff in.

I'm at a loss.

J,

Sorry to hear you are having such issues. I used metamucil for Bart as he had very loose stool for a few months as well. It took a while, but I no longer have to give it to him. Maybe you could try beet pulp, or pumkin mixed in with the food? I hope for the best.

Chad

I have tried the pumpkin...it just produces orange pudding poop.

Hi Jeannie. Stetson had his teeth cleaned and a wart removed and was on antibiotics. He got the Big D. I took him in this week after 2 weeks of this and going thru rice and boiled beef and the whole nine yards. The vet took a swab and he has a bacterial infection. Equivalent to a yeast infection in woman basically. He is on day 2 of the meds and his poop is looking good (if poop can look good)! Has your vet taken a swab and looked for bacteria?

To add, all my guys are on probiotics, but it didn't help keep the bacteria out with Stetson.