Glucosamine - I'm Confused

Guest spudlover

Guest spudlover

I've heard many hound owners say their vets tell them to just use the human glucosamine for their dogs (glucosamine sulfate). Yesterday, I overheard our clinic receptionist telling someone over the phone that the human version isn't effective for dogs, and that they need Glucosamine sodium chloride (I think that was what she said). So now I'm confused - does it really matter?? (Of course, what the vet sells is more expensive than the human caps I buy). Anyone have knowledge on the topic?

Guest Lovey_Hounds

go to the greyhound gang website, you will find everything you need there. we have used a few of thier products they sell and they have worked well.

Honestly, I think I've used every kind that is made, from fresh factors (and other stuff by Springtime) to the Level 5000 to Claudias and to the stuff from the drug store and probably at least 6 or 7 others. I honestly don't think one is better than another as I didn't see any difference in my dogs when I changed products and gave the same dosage. Some are more convenient and some more expensive, but what I eventually settled on was the level 5000 because it was a higher concentrate (less to give the dogs) and my dogs didn't mind it and it worked fine. My suggestion is to buy the one you can most easily get ahold of as you won't have to worry so much when you are almost out, as in having to order it online and then the dogs being out for a few days etc. Go for convenience and affordability.

Thanks, everyone for the kind words. VERY appreciated by me and the hounds. In my talk - I Know This to Be True - joint supplements are one of the things I know that can work in arthritic situations, without any adverse affects.

Some Facts: (at least as I know them) :) This info is also at Greyhound Gang at the Q&A and General Overview of Get Up & Go

- Every dog and their condition is individual. What works for one, doesn't always work for another. You need to try stuff, and not all dogs need all supplements.

- Greyhounds need 1500 mg a day of Glucosamine HCL, MSM, Chondroitin - and maybe a few other products depending on that hound - daily, for arthritic situations

- Not all supplements are created equal. There are good products, and not so good products. Read the labels. Testimonials.

- Glucosamine only comes in HUMAN form. It's just packaged for animals. You can take theirs. They can take yours. Watch for fillers though.

- Glucosamine comes as Sulfate and HCL. I've found HCL to have a better efficacy. Stronger.

- Glucosamine is the foundation of joint care for supplements. You add other product to it depending on the condition of the hound.

- Get Up & Go is powder. Give in deli meat, cottage cheese, yogurt, wet food etc. One bottle of Glucosamine HCL is $14.95. It lasts 60 days - 2 months - for a greyhound. Compare that to other products.

Hope this helps with some info.

thank you all again, and any questions, don't hesitate to email me.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest romeosrents

We use the regular pharmacy brand glucosamine tabs for Romeo, we have used osteo-biflex before and as long as he is getting the same dosage, the brand hasn't seemed to make any difference. There are definitely results from the glucosamine though, he seems to have much less trouble with sitting and getting up from the floor since he has been on it.

Guest Energy11

I just use the human stuff. My former employer, vet and good friend, says the human stuff works just fine. I used to buy the canine stuff, when I got my 50% employee discount at the vets. Those days are gone :-( Can't find a thing up here, working for a vet :-( Anyway, I use the human supplements for mine. D

Guest spudlover

Thanks for all the advice! At least I don't feel I'm throwing money down the drain by using the Sulfate version. I was convinced it was helping. I'll experiment and see if I notice any difference.

Guest WhiteWave

I've used just about every product, the 2 I find to work the best are vitaflex brand for horses and walmart brand 1000 mg capsules.

www.vitaflex.com I used the Equinyl CM for Linus and it really helped him. It has glucasmine, MSM, chondrotin sulfate, ester C, bromelain, and some other stuff. It cost about $50 a container when I getting it but it last about 4 months with just one Greyhound on it.