What Exactly Are Starfish When They're Dry?

I think one of the girls ate a small dried starfish :blink:

My son missed his best friend's bday party because he went to Myrtle Beach with his father. He brought home 2 starfish, a sand dollar and a ton of shells. 1 starfish was my gift from him, the other starfish and the little sand dollar was his gift for his friend. He had his friend stay over last night. I saw him give him the 2 items, and then I put them in a plastic bag for him. Late that evening, after hours of boys being boys in the living room, I spotted the baggie empty. The paper info card the sand dollar was on had marks in it and the starfish is GONE. They were playing stick ball w/ a lightsaber and one of Sammi's stuffie balls :rolleyes: and I first thought they might have knocked the baggie off the endtable. But after the 3 of us cleaning the living room up this morning, we can't even find pieces of it... not even dust :(

i am suspecting Rosa. <_< she likes to find things on our walks and guessing this would be right on the menu next to that steak bone she tried carrying home.

Neither dog is acting weird or sick... except for the fact the shy one (Sammi) was the one hanging out w/ the boys and the social butterfly (Rosa) was hanging out w/ me last night :lol

Should I be worried? What exactly are these made of? IF it was eaten, would a small one be safe?

Guest snakes

I am sure it is safe, it really is just cells like any other creature. My greys have eaten mussles, crabs, and seaweed and numerous other disgusting things on the street and never fared badly. It is probably more digestible than rawhide!

The exoskeleton of most (all?) starfish is comprised of calcium carbonate- limestone. That alone should be safe. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that could otherwise be a problem.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

eww.

I am sure she enjoyed every bite! lol

I'm sure she did... so much in fact, that she went after the second one that was sitting on my dresser!!! i was on the phone w/ DS's friend's mom telling her he got to the party safely and that his starfish stayed here so it wouldn't get broken at the pool. She came trotting past me w/ it in her mouth. :eek DS yelled, I screamed "DROP IT" and dove for her. :( A leg got broken, but it was a clean break. (The starfish's leg, not Rosa's LOL) She tried relieving my guilt by saying they had a ton of different glues at her house to fix the starfish.

DS is pissed, I feel wretched because I just wanted to keep it safe. His friend was so worried it would get broken or taken at the pool and what happens? Rosa breaks it here :(

Edited by Gryffenne

I betcha it stinks lovely, just like the seaweed and dead fish at the beach. MMmmmmmm. And with such a lovely crunch!

I'm sorry for your son and his friends, but I can just imagine how pleased Rosa was with her "find" (and how sad she probably was that you took it from her). Did you check her beds, in case it wasn't actually eaten but hidden? Probably a microscopic chance, but worth a try.

• 1 year later...
Guest Bang_o_rama

It depends upon mass. Small ones become white dwarfs, while big ones collapse into a singularity.

Oh, starFISH!

Never mind....

~D~