Eliza

Burpdog

It's taken me a little over four years to even attempt to do this.

Eliza did not live on the internet.

She lived in my home, slept in my bed and died in my arms.

Eliza's love of life was incredible--more than any other dog I have owned. She greeted each day with woofs and grins. She made me get up--no one wasted mornings. In some ways she was my therapy dog since I have fibromyalgia. Many days her zest in the morning got me going :)

Eliza never met a stranger. On our walks, as people got nearer, her tail would start wagging and she'd start grinning. The closer they got to us, the bigger she'd grin so by the time they were a few feet from us she was showing every tooth in her mouth! She never understood why so many people went running to the other side of the street.

Eliza was the one who taught me never to play tug of war with a determined grey and a bag of rice.

Eliza taught me a lot. I let her down. The first time in all my years of dogs I didn't research something and I went against my gut feeling. It cost her life. After she bled all over my house, she spent five days in intensive care trying to live. Nothing they tried worked and I had to send her to the bridge.

I have cried a million tears, and I will cry some millions more. My only hope is that when I meet her at the bridge the first thing she says to me is "I forgive you". Until that moment, there is no relief from the pain, there is no solace.

Eliza Jane, Greyhound, 9 yrs 10 months, died 11/98, length of rimadyl treatment: 5 weeks

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diane, thanks for sharing about your baby girl, Eliza. I'm very sorry for the suffering that you both endured... please know that you did the best you could at that time, and she lives with you in your heart. I can feel her love for you, always. I hope you find peace by giving yourself the gift of forgiveness.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm so sorry for the pain her loss causes you. She was a special funny girl, wasn't she? I hope the battle over the bag of rice ended in laughter.

I suspect she has forgiven you long since. And when the warm breeze whispers in spring, one of the voices it carries is your Eliza, saying softly, "Now I am fine and whole, and I will always love you."

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Jean Townsend

Diane, what a beautiful memorial to your Eliza. I once had a stray, a chocolate lab I named George. George found me - and gave me his undevoted love and attention for five years - until Rimadyl took him from me. He was prescribed the drug for arthritis - no mention of pre-testing was made - no warnings were given about what the adverse side effects of this drug were.

My George spent his last hours in a cage at the vet's office in a pool of his bloody feces. When I went to visit him on that last day, I was not allowed "in back" until they had cleaned him up. What I saw was not my George - he was begging me to let him go. I, like Eliza's mom, held George while he was given the shot that would ease him to The Bridge. That was on October 13, 1997. I grieve for him every day.

Jean Townsend - (luswinton@aol.com)

(Always for George - Always for the Rimadyl Dogs)

B. A. R. K. S.

Be Aware of Rimadyl's Known Side-effects

For Pros and Cons see: www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfr.html

The pain never gets any easier, I know. Because of Eliza, non of my greyhounds, and probably many others, whose moms and dads have heard her story, will ever be given rimadyl. How sad she had to lose her life, so others would not lose theirs.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest kats_n_greys

Diane,

I'm sure Eliza never felt she had anything to forgive.

Please forgive yourself -you did what you thought was best from the information you had.

She sounds a real love :wub: and her memory lives in every dog who's owner is made aware of the side affects of Rimadyl and other dogs.

Oh Diane, what a sad story. Eliza knows how much she was loved, I'm so

sorry for you. :brokenheart

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY

I am so sorry. Eliza was loved.

I'm grateful to you that you shared your story. Luckily, many people have stepped forward to share their stories in time to help others of us make informed decisions. None of these stories are "internet hype". They are real life, gut-wrenching and grief-filled.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Diane....I'm sure Eliza never doubted or judged any decisions you made. Having been there myself, and tormented myself (still do more often than I should), I have learned that sometimes we cannot see or prevent illnesses and problems even with our experience and attentiveness. There has been many a day :cry1 that I have wondered if Darwin would ever forgive me for not knowing sooner how sick he was. The emergency vet called me at 2:30am to tell me that there was nothing more they could do and that Darwin was beginning to suffer. I arrived to see my beloved Boo Boo Bear (nickname of course) barely able to breathe in the oxygen crate on full strength. A piece of my heart died when I watched him try to get up when he saw me but fall back down with his head in the water bowl. He had not the strength and I knew he was dying. I held him as he passed into peace. But....I look back now and remember that when he looked me in the eyes as he crossed...there was love and comfort with the goodbye. I miss him terribly. I believe our furry friends understand that we do not have all the answers and do the best we can for them in the time we have with them. Through all your tears you need to remember that Eliza was much loved....and loved you in return. She will be waiting for you with the same heart as when she crossed. Sending you a very big hug. :grouphug:heart

Edited by Houndmom

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire

A beautiful tribute to Eliza, Diane.

I know this was very difficult for you to write. I think Eliza would tell you now that there's nothing to forgive, if you'd only ask. :)

Eliza, Strider, and Daisy are the reasons I will not use rimadyl or etogesic.

Edited by Vinnie and Rex's mom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest usmcwf83

Diane, I am sure Eliza has already forgiven you and because of her story....I, too, will never lose a dog to Rimadyl. (((Diane)))

Oh Diane...I am so sorry. Eliza knows how much you love her and she knows also that you would have done anything in your power to save her. I do not think that she feels that there is anything that she needs to forgive you for...she will wait and watch patiently from the Bridge...

Hugs... :grouphug:bighug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Elsa Norton

Diane, I am so sorry for your loss. I know all too well what a difficult story you had to write.

I had heard that Rimadyl could have deadly effects and questioned my vet when he prescribed it for my elderly Lhasa. He assured me that it was prescribed all the time with wonderful results and the stories I had read on the internet were just such a rare, rare thing, and we had done the preliminary blood work which looked fine.

With his assurance I gave my little boy the drug. Well, the rare, rare thing happened to him too. I spent many nights following behind him cleaning up the bloody stool and holding him as he wimpered in pain from his bleeding stomach. On Feb 17th of this year after only a few short weeks on Rimadyl, my healthy senior went to the Bridge. I am sure he knows I did my best for him, but I will have to live with what I did forever.

My heart is with you. All that we have left is to educate others and hope they will never have to experiance such pain and loss.

Guest Yossarian

Thanks Diane,

I think its' time to forgive yourself. I'm sure Eliza would more unsettled by your heartache than anything else.

Keep up all that you do.

Diane, my heart aches for you and your grief. Please don't beat yourself up over this. Eliza wouldn't want you to. At least some good has come from it -- you advocate against the use of this drug. Just think of all of the other doggie lives you and Eliza have saved by sharing your story.

Hugs to you, my brave friend. :bighug

Guest Ferrevergrey

I've lost 2 dogs that I have a hard time not blamming myself for thier deaths. I was so blind in both cases, and I could have done so much to save them, but I hadn't done my homework, and it cost me two of the best dogs I've ever had. The hardest was Sandy's death. But don't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault! It was her time to go! You did all you could, and learned a valuable lesson. Even though you can't see her, Eliza is still with you. She'll always be with you. Just like my Sandy is still with me. Our bridge kids may not be here in body, but they're always with us in spirit. I hope this helps!!!

Diane, I believe Eliza will be waiting for you with kisses and wags and grins knowing how much you always loved her and knowing, too, how much you've helped others along the way. I and my greys have benefited greatly from your wisdom and experience and I've always been thankful for your warnings about Rimadyl. Thankfully our vet recognizes its dangers, also. Hugs to you and special thanks for all you do.

Lori :grouphug

f_yellow

For Eliza

In time the pain lessons some knowing she is close by

The shared love keeps growing through memories

Sometimes we only learn through pain and tears

Together many are saved from the same fate

You are her voice so speak about her story

She is a special love in your heart to keep forever

Yellow roses for Eliza with a heart as big as Texas

Tears are like rain drops to bring new life to our world

Thank you Diane & Eliza for sharing your love

:gh_face

Always so difficult to write. Remember that Eliza knew she was was loved and that you did your best for her.

Until I started with the board, I didn't know very much about Rimadyl. A few months ago, when my sister told me her vet had put her older dog on Rimadyl for arthritis, I told her all I had learned about it and steered her toward Glucosomine. She made the wise decision to stop Rimadyl and started giving him glucosomine instead. He is doing great.

Thanks to you and everyone else who has spread the word, many other potential problems have been avoided.

Thanks

What a beautiful and touching tribute! I love the rice story.

I have a chronic health condition, too (including fibro, although it's gotten a lot better), and Millie was like my therapy dog. I understand how important a companion animal is in such circumstances. She went to the Bridge nearly 8 months ago.

I know your heart is breaking, but you've done a good deed in speaking through your pain about the potential dangers of Rimadyl. Who knows how many dogs you may have saved with this warning? Please don't blame yourself. You did the very best you could, and I'm sure Eliza knew it. None of us wants to seem reactionary. Your little angel would not want you to feel sad.

Sincerest condolences.

:f_pink