What The H*ck Is This In Elvis' Mouth?

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

***update #2***

Elvis had his dental today...The vet ended up leaving his tooth. Said everything looks SO much better with just the four days of Antirobe so far. He removed the mass of gum and another one on the other side that was starting to grow. They've been sent to the pathologist.

He had to miss breakfast yesterday b/c of the surgery, so I figured he'd be rarin' to eat last night. He's been getting all sorts of goodies in his food over the last week b/c he needed soft food and to put on a few pounds. He turned his nose up last night. This morning I included tuna (his favorite) and he snubbed that too. :( Now he's missed three meals and he really can't afford to miss many more. I had to pill him to get his meds in and boooooy is he pissed at momma for that. He really needs to start eating... :hope

***update***

The vet thinks the growth is a benign proliferation of the gum. It looks like Elvis' fourth premolar may be starting to abcess, which may have contributed to the growth. We started him on antibiotics and tramadol for pain and he'll go in for a dental/removal of the mass on Friday. Of course, the mass will be sent out to a pathologist to confirm what type of growth it is.

I do feel a bit relieved...knowing what the problem is means we can deal with it. Of course, I won't feel totally relieved until the pathologist says it's nothing to worry about and Elvis wakes up from the anesthesia :hope:goodluck

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and experiences and, of course, for all the prayers and good thoughts. One thing I've learned from this is to be much more aggressive in checking out not just our dogs' teeth, but also their gums and lips. I'll keep you posted!

-----------------------------------original post----------------------------------------

About 2 weeks ago Elvis (12 years old) got picky and went off his food or just picked at it. Not ultra unusual for him - he's very sensitive to changes and stress and, well, just about everything so sometimes he'll skip a meal. Then he got a bit lethargic. After missing two consecutive meals (after a couple days of being picky) I decided this was more than the heat or change in routine and DH took him in to the vet.

His bloodwork came back perfect and the vet found nothing remarkable on a general exam. After the vet visit he started eating again and seemed to be getting back to his normal self. Then this morning he wouldn't even get up to have breakfast. After work today in the yard he was rubbing his face on the fence (he loves to have his face rubbed), so I went to him to give him some good scritches. I noticed it looked like on side of his face was a bit puffier than the other...so I pulled his gums back thinking maybe he had something stuck up there. At first I didn't see anything, but since I KNEW there was SOMETHING making it look swollen, I kept looking....and found this...I guess I missed it before because it kinda pulls up into the lips if you just sweep the lip back and do a cursory look.

2605086059_0241710660.jpg

2605086051_88dbd9cbaf.jpg

2605086039_b3cb727642.jpg

I called our vet right away and they are seeing us at 8am tomorrow. Ken said the vet looked in his mouth on the initial visit (an obvious check when a dog isn't eating)...I've googled some things and now have really bad thoughts in my mind. Any chance this is just a weird, benign growth that can be lanced off and he'll be right as rain? (he was scheduled for a dental next month so I'm not sure if they'll be able to take care of everything at once or if he'll have to have anesthesia twice).

Has anyone seen anything like this? My mind has gone straight to mouth cancer :cry1 Google images has some really scary pictures of mouth tumors, but I couldn't find anything that looked similar to this.

Edited by KennelMom

Could be an epulis. Pumba had one on the front of his mouth at the gum. They are benign. He had surgery to remove it. Sometimes they are small enough that they can just clip them off.

Pulled this from a website

"Usually, the owner simply notices a firm growth between the teeth. The tumor is usually the same color as the gum tissue, has a smooth surface, and may be attached to the gum via a peduncle (a stalk-like structure). As the epulis enlarges a dog may drool, have difficulty eating or lose his appetite, have bad breath, bleed from the area of the tumor, or even have trouble breathing depending upon the size and location of the tumor."

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

I would be afraid to guess. Try not to panic, I know, easy to say. Keeping that boy in our prayers and please let us know what the vet has to say.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Flash had one exactly like what you are seeing in Elvis only not as large. It was benign and they removed it during his dental. Please let us know what you find out...Chanting....this is a big nothing. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

It looks like a big nothing! I would bet they can take care of it when he has his dental :) I'll be interested to hear what the vet says, but what montgomery2524 just said sounds about right to me...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

It looks like a big nothing! I would bet they can take care of it when he has his dental :) I'll be interested to hear what the vet says, but what montgomery2524 just said sounds about right to me...

That's what I was thinking. My granddaughter had two like that when she was a baby, and one of my kids at the Day Care has a huge one.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Sending lots of prayers and white light. :bighug:hope :hope :hope:candle

I am sorry we have NEVER seen anything that looked like that, but I want to believe with the others that it is nothing.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest vahoundlover
Flash had one exactly like what you are seeing in Elvis only not as large. It was benign and they removed it during his dental. Please let us know what you find out...Chanting....this is a big nothing. :grouphug

So did Buster. Chanting...this is a big nothing, here too.

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs

Luna also had something very similar to that, although not so big. Hers were benign , too. I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way. :grouphug

Guest KennelMom

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's an epilus. I definitely keep everyone posted. He was really happy with his chicken and rice for dinner...he wolfed it down, so that's a good sign.

Edited by KennelMom

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's an epilus. I definitely keep everyone posted. He was really happy with his chicken and rice for dinner...he wolfed it down, so that's a good sign.

Looks like an epulis. Some of these can be tough to remove if they invade into bone but not all of them do. The ones that do are also typically firm on palpation.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Has anyone seen anything like this? My mind has gone straight to mouth cancer :cry1 Google images has some really scary pictures of mouth tumors, but I couldn't find anything that looked similar to this.

Yes! One of my parents' dogs has something similar going on in her mouth.

I am so sorry I can't remember what the vet said. Whatever it is, it appears to be something easily removed. Some nice antibiotics, I bet he's good to go!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck