Signs Of Bloat

After reading about Johnny this morning, I realized I don't know the symptoms of bloat. I researched and found this. I thought others might want to know what the symptons are also.

Typical symptoms often include some (but not necessarily all) of the following, according to the links below. Unfortunately, from the onset of the first symptoms you have very little time (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours) to get immediate medical attention for your dog. Know your dog and know when it's not acting right.

Attempts to vomit (usually unsuccessful); may occur every 5-30 minutes

This seems to be one of the most common symptoms & has been referred to as the "hallmark symptom"

"Unsuccessful vomiting" means either nothing comes up or possibly just foam and/or mucous comes up

Doesn't act like usual self

Perhaps the earliest warning sign and may be the only sign that almost always occurs

We've had several reports that dogs who bloated asked to go outside in the middle of the night. If this is combined with frequent attempts to vomit, and if your dog doesn't typically ask to go outside in the middle of the night, bloat is a very real possibility.

Significant anxiety and restlessness

One of the earliest warning signs and seems fairly typical

"Hunched up" or "roached up" appearance

This seems to occur fairly frequently

Lack of normal gurgling and digestive sounds in the tummy cyprbu2.gif Many dog owners report this after putting their ear to their dog's tummy. cyprbu2.gifIf your dog shows any bloat symptoms, you may want to try this immediately.

Bloated abdomen that may feel tight (like a drum)

Despite the term "bloat," many times this symptom never occurs or is not apparent

Pale or off-color gums

Dark red in early stages, white or blue in later stages

Coughing

Unproductive gagging

Heavy salivating or drooling

Foamy mucous around the lips, or vomiting foamy mucous

Unproductive attempts to defecate

Whining

Pacing

Licking the air

Seeking a hiding place

Looking at their side or other evidence of abdominal pain or discomfort

May refuse to lie down or even sit down

May stand spread-legged

May curl up in a ball or go into a praying or crouched position

May attempt to eat small stones and twigs

Drinking excessively

Heavy or rapid panting

Shallow breathing

Cold mouth membranes

Apparent weakness; unable to stand or has a spread-legged stance

Especially in advanced stage

Accelerated heartbeat

Heart rate increases as bloating progresses

Weak pulse

Collapse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thank you...I was wondering as well.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest vahoundlover

Hopefully Burpdog will see this and give some input. I keep a box of Phayzme in our car and in the first aid kit.

From one of the Dane sights

If my dog is experiencing early symptoms of bloat, what should I do?

Many people, myself included, always keep a ready supply of the antacid Simethicone nearby, usually in the form of Phayzme® or Gas X®. (Among my contacts, Phazyme seems to be preferred; that's what I use.) Simethicone is considered quite safe, even when administered in large doses. Its purpose is to break up large gas bubbles in the stomach, enabling the accumulating gas to be more easily passed.

dot_clear.gif

At the first hint of a gassy stomach, you can give a generous dose of Simethicone. If you are using Ultra Strength Phazyme® 180 mg softgels, slit open 5-10 capsules and squeeze the liquid directly into your dog's mouth. Some people report they get faster/better results using Phazyme® Quick Dissolve 125 mg chewable tablets. With either product, one dose of Simethicone may be sufficient to relieve pressure and settle the stomach before the condition gets any worse. More Simethicone can be given later, if needed.

dot_clear.gif

I have used this technique twice on my own Dane, Merlin. I am not sure if he was actually headed into bloat, but both times he seemed to be displaying some of the early warning symptoms that we discussed last week. After administering the Simethicone, I made plans to rush Merlin to the emergency vet clinic if his symptoms increased or failed to resolve within a short period of time. Fortunately for both of us, Merlin's discomfort subsided and he was perfectly fine.

Note: Please discuss this Simethicone remedy with your veterinarian ahead of time, before you ever need to use it. Clearly, if your dog can't get the medication down, he's too far gone and needs immediate medical attention. Get him to the vet as soon as possible.

Years ago, when I was in Danes, if one suspected bloat, we all said "get a bottle of pepto down them", then get to the vet.

Anyone who suspects bloat, should get to the vet asap. Many times you have less than 2 hours if they are in torsion. You cannot "cure" bloat with GasX or pepto. You can possiblyy slow down the gas production which will buy you time to get to the vet!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

THIS is IMHO one of the best most comprehensive sites linking good bloat and torsion (they are two different things) information. I hope none of the links are dead, my BabyDane left me four years ago so I haven't used this page in a little while...

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest LynnM

Nausea and can't bring anything up is BAD.

As long as the dog is burping and farting, you're allright.

IF a bloat is going to be medically managed (as it might in the case of an elderly dog that is a poor risk of surgery), it's NOT a DITY procedure, even if most of the drugs used are over-the-counter (simethicone, pepcid, etc). Veterinary attention is essential.

Bloat is one of those things where is is ALWAYS best to call the vet.

Thankfully, it's quite rare in retired track dogs.

Lynn

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Before having greyhounds, I had an old Dobie mix. One night, I was up with her several times. She was restless and kept trying to vomit. Finally, at 5am my husband got up to comfort her and noticed her belly was hard. As soon as he said that, I realized what it was. I called the ERVet who told me to NOT bring her there. I was astonished. They were 30 minutes away but told me to take her to Tufts which was over an hour away. It was bloat. One set of x-rays showed torsion, one set did not. She was almost 15 but the youngest 15 you ever saw. No arthritis and still chasing chipmunks. We made the difficult decision to operate. The surgery was successful, but she developed a blocked bile duct and wouldn't eat. We had to euthanize her less than 2 weeks later.

The symptoms we experienced were unsuccessful attempts to vomit, restlessness and a rock hard abdomen.

This is such good information. I have printed this and it's up on my fridge. Bloat, along with one of them getting loose, have been my biggest fears since adopting. Thank you.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Sorry, I just posted this over on Johnny's thread. I'm glad I got it mostly right!

""""Oh, my!! It is very scary! We had a 2 yr old Great Dane that Bloat/torsion surgery. Fortunately we caught it is time and she recovered and went on to live a normal and long life.

The symptoms I look for are unproductive dry heaves, or vomiting with little or no output beyond a little yellow bile, a "humped up" posture indicating abdominal pain, whining and biting at mid-section, indications of shock such as glassy eyes and pale gums, racing heartbeat and panting.

It used to be that feeding from the floor was a no-no, and/or eating and drinking large amounts soon after hard exercise. I believe the current thinking is that genetics play a larger role, and that feeding from raised feeders is now considered a factor. Stress seems to also figure in. Plus the ratio of length-to-width of a breed's chest/abdomen - which is why sight hounds and other dogs shaped like sight hounds are at higher risk for bloat/torsion. The squarer the dog the less risk of bloat.

In my Alex's case, she had a littermate die from bloat and another brother survived - so three pups from her litter had it. Her father (a champion show dog and prolific sire) also died from bloat while an experienced dog sitter was taking care of him while his owners were on vacation. Frisco was a beautiful dog and a lot of Great Dane owners were shocked by his passing.""""

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This is one of my biggest fears!

We have had two dogs with bloat. The first PJ, I didn't know what was going on. She had the surgery and survived, but died the next afternoon from arrythmias?? She never really did wake up. I know a part of me died that day. :weep

I keep thinking if I had a greyhound then and been on GT and other grey lists, would it of made a difference because I probably would of turned here right away. :weep

The second was Kodi and only because of PJ did I know what was happening. I was hoping I was wrong, but took him to the emergency clinic just to ease my mind. After what was an eternity because I couldn't get a muzzle on him and they wouldn't take x-rays without (I was frantic because I know time is of the essence!) a nice vet came out and told me that they would shut his leash in the door and give him a shot to sedate him from behind (or something like that).

He did have bloat, had the surgery and was discharged within a day and a half because he was such a bad patient. :rolleyes:

Kodi___Callie___9_22_04_001.jpg

This was the day Kodi came home... good thing for Callie because she wouldn't go potty without him because they are BFF! :lol

My husband's partner July also has had bloat, but before she came to us. She has had her stomach tacked (is that the term), but I am still worried about it happening again. She is a wild one!

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Guest JohnnyBell

Johnny's symptoms were vomiting clear with white foam mainly after drinking some, pacing, whining, not acting himself, hard belly and stressful panting. One of the scariest things was hearing him vomit he would howl while he heaved. I though I'd die when I heard him.

Johnny's symptoms were vomiting clear with white foam mainly after drinking some, pacing, whining, not acting himself, hard belly and stressful panting. One of the scariest things was hearing him vomit he would howl while he heaved. I though I'd die when I heard him.

Oh no, thank goodness that you were there and could get him help right away.

Many prayers still coming for your sweet boy that he is able to come home soon. I know how worried you are, I keep checking in for updates!. Hope you get some encouraging news today!

:bighug

:getwell Johnny!!

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

I read something vague about bloat in one of the Greyhound books 2 years ago when I adopted Garth. Recently, in Chicago, we've had a very serious greyhound bloat issue and it was very sad. I think this is a very important issue to keep new adopters and all owners up to date on. Going to the vet immediately or evet is critical, in what I've read. You cannot waste any time.

Thank's for starting this discussion.

Before having greyhounds, I had an old Dobie mix. One night, I was up with her several times. She was restless and kept trying to vomit. Finally, at 5am my husband got up to comfort her and noticed her belly was hard. As soon as he said that, I realized what it was. I called the ERVet who told me to NOT bring her there. I was astonished. They were 30 minutes away but told me to take her to Tufts which was over an hour away. It was bloat. One set of x-rays showed torsion, one set did not. She was almost 15 but the youngest 15 you ever saw. No arthritis and still chasing chipmunks. We made the difficult decision to operate. The surgery was successful, but she developed a blocked bile duct and wouldn't eat. We had to euthanize her less than 2 weeks later.

The symptoms we experienced were unsuccessful attempts to vomit, restlessness and a rock hard abdomen.

How awful after all that to still lose her. Did you ever find out why your regular vet sent you to Tufts? Is bloat something that regular vets don't necessarily know how to treat? I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to go over the what if scenario with my vet because it'd be nice to have a plan in place in the awful event that I have to rush someone to the vet with bloat.

Edited by Aerosmom
Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest PiagetsMom

Thanks for that information. We had a scare with Piaget several months ago during the night......the repeated foamy attempts to vomit and restlesness and discomfort. Called the E-vet and was told to bring her immediately as they suspected bloat. Fortunately, that was not the case. The symptoms completely stopped on the way to the clinic, and after a complete exam, we still don't really know what the problem was, but I can tell you that she sure gave us a scare.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

How awful after all that to still lose her. Did you ever find out why your regular vet sent you to Tufts? Is bloat something that regular vets don't necessarily know how to treat? I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to go over the what if scenario with my vet because it'd be nice to have a plan in place in the awful event that I have to rush someone to the vet with bloat.

My regular Vet (Groton, MA) subscribes to an emergency Vet service in Acton for after hours issues. That was the place I called at 5am. They said they could decompress her (i.e., let the gas out) but they were not equipped to do torsion surgery. However, the decompression is the time critical element; the pressing on the other organs. I was pretty shocked when they said "don't bring her here!". Tufts decompressed her but there was no rush for the surgery. We waited a while to see if the stomach would right itself. I have since found a better EVet in Nashua and won't use Acton again.

• 4 years later...
Guest blondealonso

An old topic but a very helpful read. For my future knowledge where exactly is the adobmen / stomach in greyhounds? How distended would it be, should you be able to push down on the rib cage and if so how much pressure? If your greyhound is exhibiting a slightly distended rib cage towards the end of the rib cage (towards the rear legs!) after eating is this normal, it only looks slightly distended when hes lying on his side.

Edit: We have up'd his food a bit since rehoming (2 meals a day, morning 2.5cups 18% kibble, evening 2.5cups + some form of cut up cooked meat (small handful, usually grilled chicken). As I write this hes just done a horrendous fart that has filled the room so i'm not worried its bloat... but still im paranoid by nature and would love to know for future :-)

Edit edit: For a hound who typically eats quite quickly, how can we slow him down? We could reduce his breakfast meal (6:30am), feed him again at 4pm and then again at 10pm? Unfortunately we cant feed him mid day.

Kind regards,

Chris

Edited by blondealonso

Thankfully, it's quite rare in retired track dogs.

Lynn

BOTH my greyhounds had bloat -- Nube in 4/2005 and Rainey in 2/2009. :(

with Nube, he had the vomiting (first was "successful", but smelled like poo; after that it was just foam) but other than that, no other real symptoms -- I had Bruce take him to the vet thinking they'd just give him some anti-vomiting meds or something, but insisted he ask for an x-ray, and that's how they found he had bloated. With Rainey, she was in obvious discomfort, kept hunching up, kept stretching, and kept looking at her stomach -- those were HER only symptoms. With her we brought her in (to the Evet this time) thinking her pancreatitis was acting up again, only to find her stomach had flipped (but no bloating).

I would tell anyone (and myself!) to bring them in if you even suspect it. I'd rather pay $100 for a visit and x-rays to find out it was not bloat then lose them.

ETA: didn't realize this was a thread from 2008! oops :)

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

You can catch it when it first begins- before symptoms are even apparaent- just because you are a mother hen and will rush them to the vet anytime something is off that you can't explain; they can have immediate surgery by top notch surgeons in a top notch facility; and they can still die-as my soulmate Slim did at only 6 yoa. Sometimes, like with him, it is a death sentence and there is nothing anybody can do to save them. Bloat/GDV is much more grave than most people realize. If you have a dog that survived you don't realize how blessed/lucky you are.

Edited by racindog

My neighbor lost her 14 year old Shepard mix to bloat 2 Saturdays ago. What eats at me is that I went over there and saw him on Friday night, but I didn't recognize the symptoms and I had a dog that lived through a food bloat. He wasn't himself, he was drinking and throwing up water and he was lethargic. She was convinced it was a blockage (she thought he had eaten foil). He didn't blow up like a balloon, no hunching, no unproductive coughing or hacking, he was not restless. When she got him to the vet he had a torsion bloat, liver and kidney levels were not good. They didn't know if the blood levels were bad because the torsion had been going on so long that there was necrotic tissue in his stomach or if it was preexisting. At his age, they didn't know if he would survive the surgery, let alone recovery. She had to let him go. It was heart-breaking. I wish I'd recognized it, but it wasn't like the bloat I'd seen or read about.

RIP Pickle.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest blondealonso

These are all really sad stories :( but thank you for sharing your experiences... i've read a number of heartbreaking stories but each bring with them a realistic idea of what to look out for. Our hound is still adjusting to being in a home environment and each day somethings triggered some concern in my mind about his temperment. I like to think we know him well enough now to identify if he is in discomfort.

Its incredibly scary to think just how common bloat is.