Create Your Own Surgical Collar

Posting the article I wrote for my adoption group with info on making your own Bite-Not Collar. Information contained within, though, is all compliments of the posters on GT, without whom I would not have known about this.

The Cone, or E-Collar (short for Elizabethan Collar, as it looks like the ruffs worn in Elizabethan England) has traditionally been the standard prescription for keeping dogs from licking wounds or surgical sites. Our dogs hate them because it effectively blinds them to all but what is directly in front of them, and sometimes scares them with the noise it makes as they bang into things while moving about. If you're like me, you hate them, too, simply because your dog hates it. But it's a necessary evil, as you may have learned if you've had an injured dog that managed to lick a minor wound down to the bone, as happened to me.

A new alternative is available now: The Bite-Not Collar . This is the animal version of a cervical collar traditionally worn by humans to treat neck injuries. When used on a dog, it prevents them from being able to bend their necks far enough to reach most body injuries. It won't unfortunately, keep them from reaching spots on their legs.

You can also make one simply, and quickly, with a bath towel (for larger dogs, like our greyhounds) and duct tape. Take a bath towel and fold it lengthwise in 1/4s or 1/3s depending on the length of your dog's neck. The object is to have it cover the neck from just behind the ears to the shoulder. After folding lengthwise, fold the towel in half. Wrap it around the neck, making sure it's snug enough to not slip forward over the head, but not so tight as to be uncomfortable. Secure with duct tape (or vet wrap, or as I have done, with Velcro One-Wrap, available in most craft stores).

Mangosrecovery122808-1.jpg

Voila' - you're done, and your dog is far more comfortable than with a cone banging around their head. It's padded, quiet, and fully washable. Your dog will thank you!

Lubs, licks and helicopter tails from the hounds at Greyhounds Unlimited!

Edited by mangos_mom

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Wonderful idea. After seeing how Spinner reacted to an e-collar (and how quickly he managed to rip it off), I'm glad there is an alternative. People should also remember that with some dogs, a t-shirt or pull-up pants are enough of a barrier. If not, I'd much rather go this route than the e-collar route. Thank you!

I'm glad the information is helping so many, but I can't take credit for coming up with the idea. I searched it out right here on GT - someone way before me figured out how to do this. All I did is add a picture to help illustrate.

You're welcome for information, though!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Thank you for this information. I've printed out the directions and will keep it ready. We've had to use the T-shirts and other barriers to prevent licking but this collar would be perfect for any type of injuries. You did a great job making the collar for Mango.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy