Mango On The Mend

Mango's been home for 6 days now and is doing just fine. She's getting around really well, and I'm managing the hydrotherapy on her incision site with no problem. The fact that she's lost weight works in my benefit for the moment, because I can lift and carry her with no real effort. I haven't seen any change in the wound, but I now see it all day every day, so it won't be as noticeable to me.

I thought I would post some new pics for all of you who supported us through the scary parts. Also thought seeing pics of a homemade Bite-Not Collar might help those who search, as I did, for how to make it. I'm a show-me kinda gal, so I always welcome pictures. :rolleyes:

And all the way at the bottom, if you want the gory stuff, is a picture of the incision site. I found out, talking to a friend this weekend, that this big of an area of necrosis isn't that unusual. I'd not heard of it, but here it is, for the record.

"Momma, I'm trying to rest and recooooperate here!"

Mangosrecovery122808-1.jpg

"Okay! Enough with the flashy thing..."

Mommastop122808-1.jpg

And the incision, if you dare.

Mangosincision122808-1.jpg

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to hear she's doing well, she sure is a little doll! And the collar you made is great, good job. And Mango, you keep up the good work young lady

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I think she looks incredibly beautiful, and that incision is going to get better and better. Both of you are doing really well. Give her a gentle hug, please, and know that you're still in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

She looks great!!! I am very happy Mango is recovering well, let's keep it up! Cool collar, my guess is a lot more comfortable than those plastic lampshades they make you buy!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

It is good to see that Mango is doing so much better in her recovery. That collar is wonderful and does look so much more comfortable. Can you post some directions on how to make it or send me to a website with instructions? You just never know when this information will be needed. (Sorry if it was already posted and I missed it. :blush )

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

She looks GREAT -- and what a good job on the collar!

Hugs and hopes for smooth healing from here on out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mango just had her first recheck at the vet, and he is very pleased with her progress. He said the wound is smaller than it was a week ago - I'm seeing it every day now, so I can't tell as easily - and that it's beginning to get granulation, which is good.

My "biggie" girl isn't such a biggie right now. :( She down from her usual 78 lbs to just 57 lbs. No wonder I'm able to lift her into the tub so easily. But's she's eating well, so I'm not too worried about that just yet. And the lighter weight I'm sure is helping while she builds up strength in her remaining legs and works out her new balance.

Since Fiona asked, and if you all don't mind, I'm going to post a separate thread with the collar instructions and picture.

Thank you all for your continued good thoughts. They're helping - they truly are! :wub: you guys!

Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Aww, good job Mango :) and good job Kate :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Sending healing thoughts to Mango, and her wonderful Mum.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Keep up the good work pretty girl. :wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest MorganKonaAlex
My "biggie" girl isn't such a biggie right now. :( She down from her usual 78 lbs to just 57 lbs. No wonder I'm able to lift her into the tub so easily.

Did she have 4 legs when she was 78 lbs? A leg weighs about 10 lbs.

My "biggie" girl isn't such a biggie right now. :( She down from her usual 78 lbs to just 57 lbs. No wonder I'm able to lift her into the tub so easily.

Did she have 4 legs when she was 78 lbs? A leg weighs about 10 lbs.

Yes, that was her weight the day I took her in because of a limp. I was wondering how much a leg weighed... :blush

Greyhounds Unlimited

Just catching up with Mango and her wonderful Mom. She look absolutely fabulous and I just LOVE the modified collar! Hugs all around and prayers bombarding you both!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead