What Brand Of Dog Food Do You Feed Your Greyhounds - Revisited

Guest PaulaMC

Updated Dog Food Poll  

559 members have voted

1. 1. What brands of dry dog food do you buy?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Kibbles N Bits
    • Kirkland
    • Nutro
    • Pedigree
    • Pro Plan
    • Purina
    • Royal Canin
    • Wellness
    • Solid Gold
    • Chicken Soup for the Soul
    • Raw / BARF
  2. 2. What brands of canned food do you buy for mix-ins?

• Alpo
    • Beneful
    • Canidae
    • Eukanuba
    • EVO
    • Gravy Train
    • Hill's Science Diet
    • Iams
    • Innova
    • Mixables
    • Nutro
    • Natural Balance
    • Pedigree
    • Purina
    • Kirkland
    • Pro Plan
    • Royal Canin
    • Solid Gold
    • Wellness
    • Other
  3. 3. What kinds of dog treats do you buy?

• Jerky Treats
    • Dog Biscuits - any kind
    • Beggin Strips
    • Rawhide Chews or strips
    • Pigs Ears or snouts
    • Greenies
    • Denta bone or stix
    • Snausages
    • Real bones
    • Marobone
    • Hooves or antlers
    • Homemade dog biscuits
    • Other

Guest PaulaMC

With the recent issues in pet foods, I was curious to see the shift in what people are feeding their dogs. I found it very helpful when I first joined greytalk to read this poll. I imagine that views have changed and I'd like to see what everyone is doing now for their dogs. Thank you for participating and sharing your knowledge and experience with everyone.

The previous poll was initiated in October of 2005.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy is fed Merrick brand kibble and canned. I alternate the flavors for variety. She also gets raw turkey necks, chicken backs and marrow bones. One or twice a week, I will boil some organ or muscle meats and add that to her kibble instead of the canned food. I also feed sardines (packed in water, no salt), canned salmon and jack mackeral. Green beef and lamb tripe are a favorite add-in to dry kibble. For snacks, I have begun baking my own treats. Thank you GT'ers for the great liver brownie recipes!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

can't vote: I don't use any of the dry or canned choices and if I don't check off one of them, it won't accept what I check for treats. You need an "other" choice.

I feed a mix of kibble, mostly Origen, sometimes Purina One, with a third "meal" of turkey neck, chicken backs and necks, or marrow bones.

Add ons are really a treat as my girls are not picky about kibble as long as it's not Iams: one can Cesar's split between three dogs, tripe, sardines, tuna, tuna or salmon juice, sometimes leftovers from my previous meal like potatoes, rice or stew. Sometimes a veggie slop with broth and garlic.

Treats vary according to whim and deals at the store -- very rarely commercial treats. Homemade dog biscuits (rare around here!) :lol Other: chicken livers, stew meat, sardines, popcorn, pizza crust, bread (with butter prefered, thank you very much), garlic toast and of course whatever they steal when I leave the room! :rolleyes: It's not unusual to find a pizza on top of the TV around here. :lol

Beau (4), Teddy (4) and Chloe (4) eat Pro Plan Chicken. I mix in a teaspoon of either purina one or pumpkin as their "treat" daily.

Polli (9.5 year old broodie) gets 1/2 Purina one 1/2 EVO mixed in with either boiled chicken and rice, purina one chicken or Tripe lamb.

Treats are limited to either Milkbones, Nutro biscuits OR dried chicken tenders. We break up one milkbone to go 3 ways. We don't do a lot of treats.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

1. You need an "other" option. (like you've not already been told that a bajillion times, right?)

2. Did you just copy the original list? Because I would imagine that very few folks here feed: Alpo/Beneful/Gravy Train/K&B, whereas I would have liked to see how many folks feed Diamond/Natures Recipe/Blue Buffalo, Bil-Jac kibble, etc.

3. I would have to vote "other" for the most part. I feed raw at home, but the kids get Nutro kibble at one dog-sitter, and whatever kibble I take with them at the other dog-sitter.

4. Canned - only Zoe gets canned. It's the i/d from the vet. She also gets kibble - Nature's Recipe at home, and whatever the dog-sitter is serving when she's there.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Guest DawnAnn

I have recently switched from Newman's Own dry food to Timberwolf organics and so far so good! They get dry food in the AM and raw in the evening (usually ground meat with veggies, sometimes chicken quarters and liver--whatever I can get).

For treats: Newman's own chicken flavor, sometimes I stuff a few in a kong sealed with peanut butter; They also love Merrick's dried lamb lung and bully sticks.

I can't wait to try some of the liver brownie recipes! :)

Guest MrsDooLittle

We feed Blue Buffalo/Blue Wilderness dry and mix in a couple spoons full of Blue Buffalo canned. I use a Science Diet (Oral Care) treat when they come in from outside; something their foster families did and I continue. I also give them Blue Buffalo cookies as a special treat and also chews I get from the vet.

Cindy

Canidae Lamb and Rice

Canidae canned after dentals

Mother Hubbard Treats

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Canidae Lamb and Rice - Dry

Either Canidae or Merrick - Canned

A few pieces of Science Diet Oral Health - Treats

I also mix in vegetables w/ the meals.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest KsFrets

Switched from Nutro to Canidea. We are very happy, and no more night time stomache trouble and morning pukes. Better coats too.

Guest Greytluv

Fed Canidae and changed to Kirkland about 3 weeks ago. I don't have an opinion yet. Lots of gas and poops are a little soft. I'm going to give it a few more weeks. I know Kirkland rates really high.

I also add 1/2 can Kirkland wet, split between my three.

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry: Wellness Ocean Core with Merrick's canned, either Cowboy Cookout or Venison Holiday. A probiotic every day, beef heart twice a week, Henry's diet is poultry and grain free.

Riley: Innova senior, with same canned and raw as Henry.

To add to the raw diet, every now and again I add in part of a can of Tripett, whose instructions should read like a hand grenade: pull pin and throw.

We use Tripett too-and that is so true! :lol:lol:lol

Taste of the Wild for dry and bully sticks for treats, plus cookies and jerky.

Guest sirsmom

We've been pretty happy with the Pro Plan Selects salmon. One of my dogs has developed "fish breath" so may start mixing it with the Pro Plan turkey. Coats are gorgeous on this food and well tolerated.

Guest Javagirl

You definitely need an other category because this list is not very comprehensive. Many people on GT use Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Artemis, Newman's, and Eagle Pack, Organix etc. But otherwise I'd be curious to see the results.

We use Eagle Pack Natural Adult and he gets Buddy Biscuits for treats.

Kristyn

Our adoption group feeds Nutro mostly, and we started with that when we adopted our first GH. But it's kinda spendy and we couldn't (at the time) buy it at our local Fred Meyer. We swtitched to Pedegree dry/canned and have been very happy with it. Especially because it was one of the only "commercial" foods NOT involved in the pet food scandal last year. Plus we like their support of pet adoption and other pet charities.

Our three (male 8 yrs, male 6 yrs, and female 4 yrs) get between 1 cup and 1 1/3 cup Adult variety kibble at each meal with a heaping tablespoon of various canned flavors for variety and some water for gravy twice a day. We're a big treat household and have a whole cabinet well-stocked with a variety of biscuits and treats. They also get some sort of chew bone every night for teeth cleaning purposes.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I quit feeding Nutro and am beginining to be unsure of Royal Canin. I feed Avoderm, Natures Recipe, and just started feeding Bil-Jac. So far, I am impressed with the Bil-Jac. I also feed some of the Pet Botanics roll and Solid Gold Holy Cow Green Tripe.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest lanielovesgreys

Since we've adopted, they've been on Nutro and ProPlan. Nutro was ok, but they consistenly had loose stools and didn't really seem to like it. We switched to ProPlan after Nutro and Sol started losing hair. :( After a comment at the pet store about his hair loss, I switched to raw. MUCH BETTER and I don't have to worry about kibble anymore.