Cracked Paw Pads...normal? Should I Be Concerned?

Guest DogNewbie

Guest DogNewbie

Hello Everyone!

So it has been a cold and dry winter here in Southern Alberta and Wiley's pads kind of look like they are cracking. Is there anything I should do? Or am I just worried about nothing...LOL

I have to moisturize my self about 1-2 times a day because it is so dry! I'm sure he feels the same way. Can I put human moisturizer on his paw pads? Can you buy doggie pad lotion?

IMG_20140323_121511_zps4b86a19c.jpg

What should I do?

Thanks!

Edited by DogNewbie

Teague's pads are like that too...they don't seem to bother him at all so I don't worry about it. Probably all of the cold combined with months of walking on snow, salt, slush, etc. I rub coconut oil on them sometimes, but like I said, it doesn't bother him so I would only worry if they started to really crack or bleed.

I wouldn't use human moisturizer in case any of the ingredients might be harmful if he licks it off, but you can safely use olive oil or coconut oil as often as necessary. Wiley's pads don't look too bad, but I'm sure he'd appreciate a nice oil massage - mine do!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

What is Bag Balm and where do I get it? Is it specially made for dogs?

Bag Balm has been around for over hundred years and was originally made for cow udders to keep them supple and have milking be more comfortable for them. I use it on my hands in deep winter when nothing else works.

Edited by Feisty49

You can now usually find Bag Balm at places like CVS, Walgreen's, and supermarket pharmacies.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest OPointyDog

We've used both bag balm and musher's secret. I think bag balm does a better job moisturizing. Musher's secret is more waxy, and does a good job protecting the feet when they are outside, but doesn't seem to really penetrate below the surface of the pad as well as the bag balm. So I use either, depending on the conditions.

What is Bag Balm and where do I get it? Is it specially made for dogs?

You're in Canada, I see. I've seen it in the drugstore, either Shopper's or Rexall, I can't remember which.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest AngelPup

I was using Paw Pad Protector (Essential Pet) from Petsmart to protect Cindy Lou's pads this winter, but it made her pads/paws very slippery on our kitchen floor. Is that a problem with any of the products listed above?

I use Mushers Secret also, it allows the pads to breathe unlike a product such as vaseline. Non toxic too. I believe it is from Canada so you should be able to find it in a good pet supply place. Soothes cracked pads almost overnight. protects from salt and hot pavement in the Summer. No i don't work for then :hehe i just love the product. Been a long, cold Winter here too in Massachusetts.

Guest AngelPup

Hi CharlieRhea,

Do you notice that your dogs pads/paws are slippery when you use Mushers Secret? Cindy Lou isn't typically afraid of our lanolium floor in the kitchen, but does seem to stuggle with slippage after I put Paw Pad Protector on her. I don't use it often for that reason.