Vomiting Because Of An Empty Stomach?

Guest kelsosaurus

Guest kelsosaurus

For the past few weeks my 3 year old greyhound has been vomiting yellow, smelly, frothy liquid every couple days. She has been acting, eating, and drinking normally. I decided to google it, and a lot came up about dogs vomiting because of having an empty stomach. I would like to believe that is what it is, but it seems weird that it started out of the blue... well, it seems like it started out of the blue. The more I think about it, I remember that I've been working earlier in the morning and later in the afternoon than usual due to being on a break from college. She usually gets fed at 6 or 7 am and again at 5 or 6 pm. The past two days I've fed her three times a day (about 6 am, 12 pm, and 6 pm), and she has not vomited. I'm not sure if it's just a fluke or if it actually solved the problem.

SO! has anyone dealt with a dog who has vomited from an empty stomach? Did it start occurring randomly, or did it happen from the time you got the dog?

If the problem persists, I will of course take her to the vet.

At my house, it happened inconsistently, and not always from the beginning of when I got the dog. It only happened with one dog because by the time I got another dog, I knew what to do to prevent it.

Hold back about a quarter cup of her dinner meal and give it to her before bedtime. Same number of calories, but distributed differently, because even 12 hours can be a long time to go between feedings.

It should stop the empty-stomach vomiting (she's vomiting bile--which is hard to get out of carpets). She also might sleep later in the morning if you want to sleep in now and then.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Yes. It sounds like your hound is vomiting bile from an empty tummy. Several of our pack will do the same if we go too long between meals. Ours get a bedtime snack of about 1/2 cup of their divided daily kibble ration to prevent them from vomiting bright yellow bile before breakfast. It did start fairly randomly for our hounds. One of my thoughts: Dogs may process certain kibble foods at different rates, depending on kibble quality.

ETA: Helps to keep a roll of paper towels nearby in most frequented rooms. If you're home to see dog's (or cat's) body language, it's easy to catch vomit on a paper towel before it hits carpet.

Edited by 3greytjoys

I had a dog like that (non-grey). It was intermittent. Since you already know what it is, it will be simple to control. Maybe also add a cookie at bedtime. When mine was going to barf, it was always first thing in the morning -- if I could tell it was going to happen by her body language, a quickly-presented piece of bread would stop it.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest team_tonio

Agreed. Feed a snack in between stretches if needed. This helps us. Do you freeze a kong while you're working extra? Antonio loves his filled with Pb and kibble and we never have an issue during the day. Have had this happen on occasion overnight when ive had to feed dinner earlier than usual. Also maybe spreading some kibble here or there where she can nibble throughout the day as she pleases. :) good luck.

One of my three greyhounds does this. I've done what others here have suggested - giving her a snack in between meals. She gets a bedtime snack of a 1/2 cup of kibble and we try to give her a snack mid-day as well. This has taken care of it. It's interesting in how each dog is so different. My other two are fine on two meals a day with no snacks.

Yes. It sounds like your hound is vomiting bile from an empty tummy. Several of our pack will do the same if we go too long between meals. Ours get a bedtime snack of about 1/2 cup of their divided daily kibble ration to prevent them from vomiting bright yellow bile before breakfast. It did start fairly randomly for our hounds. One of my thoughts: Dogs may process certain kibble foods at different rates, depending on kibble quality.

ETA: Helps to keep a roll of paper towels nearby in most frequented rooms. If you're home to see dog's (or cat's) body language, it's easy to catch vomit on a paper towel before it hits carpet.

I use a paper plate to catch puke. ;)

Kelsosaurus, what time of the day did she puke and how soon before or after a meal?

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest KsFrets

We give ours cookies between meals/bedtime for this very reason. Magnus is bad for puking from an empty stomach... and of course, if he gets a cookie, the rest do to. We've also noticed that it's worse with different food. The higher priced hi protein rich stuff goes right through Magnus, and he's hungry all the time and puke prone, but the department store Green bag agrees with him with much less hunger and puking. That's way cool, because the girls to great on the less expensive stuff too, and a lot less poo as well.

I have the same problem with my cat. I have to feed her really early in the morning or she'll get sick on me, the bed, or the floor near the bed. If she doesn't get at least a tiny bit of breakfast by 6 AM (after eating her last meal the night before between 9 and 10 PM), she hurls. Heaven forbid I want to sleep in! At best I get up and feed her and her brother and get to go back to bed, at worst I get up feed them, the dogs get up, Monty whines because he needs to potty, I take both dogs out and then I'm up for the day.

Hope your splitting the meals up helps you with your pupper!

We give ours cookies between meals/bedtime for this very reason. Magnus is bad for puking from an empty stomach... and of course, if he gets a cookie, the rest do to. We've also noticed that it's worse with different food. The higher priced hi protein rich stuff goes right through Magnus, and he's hungry all the time and puke prone, but the department store Green bag agrees with him with much less hunger and puking. That's way cool, because the girls to great on the less expensive stuff too, and a lot less poo as well.

That's because the cheaper stuff has more non-digestible fibre (which is what makes it cheaper!).....which you have proven is not always a bad thing.

My boy Scully used to do the empty tummy puking in the mornings (usually prevented by a couple of biccies at bed time) but it's such a lovely sound to wake up to isn't it!?

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest NewGreyOwner

Our grey also suffers from intermitent puking if he has an empty tummy. His USUALLY happens late at night or early in the morning, and it's almost impossible to get out of carpeting (unless you have Stainmaster). We've started giving him half a peanut butter sandwich just before bed, and that has pretty much done the trick.

My first greyhound Katie Z started doing that same thing about 2 or 3 weeks after we got her home. After a few panicked calls to our adoption rep. She started having give Katie a treat or two before bed and that solved the problem. she was just hungry.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest greytkidsmom

all of our hounds do this. we add 10mg of pepcid to their breakfast and problem solved. every once in a while i give them a break and come home to little yellow-green puddles on the floor.

I hope your pup is doing better with the timing change.

My boy Scully used to do the empty tummy puking in the mornings (usually prevented by a couple of biccies at bed time) but it's such a lovely sound to wake up to isn't it!?

Garrison Keillor has suggested that someone needs to manufacture an alarm clock that sounds like an animal about to barf. Nothing guaranteed to make a pet's human's heels hit the floor faster.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I hope your pup is doing better with the timing change.

Garrison Keillor has suggested that someone needs to manufacture an alarm clock that sounds like an animal about to barf. Nothing guaranteed to make a pet's human's heels hit the floor faster.

:hehe :hehe :hehe :hehe :hehe :hehe :hehe .....SO TRUE!!!!!

Guest mowreyAZ

Wow good information. I get home from work near midnight so I give the hounds a small scoop of dry kibble works great and they have not had a problem since