Turkey Necks....did I Just Kill My Dogs?

Let me preface this by saying: 1)I'm a turkey neck virgin and 2) I thought they were like rawhides or femur bones (they eat the meat and leave the bone)

So, I brought them home and gave it the hounds raw and they ate the WHOLE THING in seconds. Should I have cooked it? What were the bone things they were crunching on? Is it going to hurt them? They're quite pleased and looking for more and Im freaking out and ready to call the e-vet.

Thanks!

Like rallyp said, DO NOT cook them. The pups eat the entire thing, bone and all...you may get a little vomit the first couple of times that they eat them which I'm told is normal (I had a foster do that, mine haven't done that). Lots of people give them 2 - 3x a week after their meal to keep their pups' teeth clean.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest widowcali

I actually prefer turkey necks over the beef bones that I give the dogs. There is no icky stuff to pick up, they eat it all. Makes for simple cleaning, lol.

You did fine, your hounds will be fine. Raw is the only way to feed bones (unless you slow cook chicken bones until they crumble, which I have not had success with). I feed mine turkey necks, chicken quarters and chicken feet without issue. Personally, I do not give beef bones because they are harder than teeth and can cause slab fractures. If your dogs have trouble with too much bone from the turkey necks, next time supplement the meal with some giblets/organ meats or green tripe to balance it.

Let me preface this by saying: 1)I'm a turkey neck virgin and 2) I thought they were like rawhides or femur bones (they eat the meat and leave the bone)

So, I brought them home and gave it the hounds raw and they ate the WHOLE THING in seconds. Should I have cooked it? What were the bone things they were crunching on? Is it going to hurt them? They're quite pleased and looking for more and Im freaking out and ready to call the e-vet.

Thanks!

I apologize but, :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Guest PhillyPups

Thanks!

I apologize but, :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Yep :rotfl:rotfl

But in all fairness I took a stool sample to the vet thinking I saw worms, the vet asked if I gave my dogs rice, I said yes. :blush

Edited by PhillyPups

Totally fine, as you now know! I will say, however, that the first time I gave Twiggy one, she had liquid Big D something fierce the next day ( or maybe that evening, I don't remember).

She was pretty new off the track, and I think her system was still settling in at that time. I've since been able to give her giant raw turkey necks with no trouble whatsoever - they actually cause her stool to be extremely dry and crumbly from all the bone.

Your hound must really, really love you now!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

A friend gives her Afgan hounds chicken legs that she cooks in the crock pot for 2 days. She then takes a potato masher and mashes it to mush. She then gives this to her dogs with their meals. I have not tried it yet.

Yep, I do this. Well, I'm a lot more thorough than a potato masher - I crush the bones between my fingers and make sure that even the tiniest sharp pieces go in the garbage, but same concept. Some chickens have bones that seem to mush up better than others, for reasons I can't identify. If the bones are sharp, I don't give them, just the ones that truly turn to mush.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest avadogner

I would have freaked too so don't feel bad. Where do you get raw turkey necks and chicken feet? I give Augie bully sticks and dried tripe and dried tracheas from the Best Bully Sticks website. Is this something you ask a specialty butcher to procure? I am looking for something to help with cleaning his teeth. Poor boy has terrible teeth and loathes his daily brushing. I would love to find something safe to treat him.

Thanks,

Ava (angel) and Augie's Mum

I have a very little Mom and Pop store close to me and they ordered 30#s of turkey necks for me. I asked them to cut this 1/2 because they were really large (12-14") I wrapped them individually and put then in the freezer. Each dog gets one right out of the freezer. They love them.

I would have freaked too so don't feel bad. Where do you get raw turkey necks and chicken feet? I give Augie bully sticks and dried tripe and dried tracheas from the Best Bully Sticks website. Is this something you ask a specialty butcher to procure? I am looking for something to help with cleaning his teeth. Poor boy has terrible teeth and loathes his daily brushing. I would love to find something safe to treat him.

Thanks,

Ava (angel) and Augie's Mum

We have a Price Rite that keeps chikken feet in stock. One of our two Stop & Shops also carries them and you can also usually find them in ethnic grocery stores. I may be the odd one here but I do clip off the toenails before feeding them, frozen. One of my girls has very few teeth and just enjoys gumming a foot now and then, she hasn't actually eaten it :lol Seamus says they are the best things, evah.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I got them from Valli Foods. Thank you all for the good advice and reassurances. Unfortunately, I was freaking out too badly to get pics of furbabies first turkey necks! :hehe But, they did enjoy them tremendously. Mason licked his lips for like 10 minutes and they followed me around forever looking for more!

Edited by GreyhoundGirl

A friend gives her Afgan hounds chicken legs that she cooks in the crock pot for 2 days. She then takes a potato masher and mashes it to mush. She then gives this to her dogs with their meals. I have not tried it yet.

Yup, My girls love when I do that. Mostly in the winter but then in the summer they get hard boiled egg from time to time.