Corn?

Guest NSGREY

Adora went to the vet this past week for the same concern. She has a corn on the same leg that she got her hock injury that retired her but hers is on the side of the pad and very hard to try and treat. She's had a couple hulled and they never came back but this one has just grown in a different spot.

Hope you are able to get some options for Spriet

Thanks for your fast reply. Poor Spriet, so this could be causing problems too..

We're headed to the vets office tomorrow (where she gets physical theraphy for her tendon). Will ask if there is something we can do.

My pleasure. Maddie has one on her paw and I hull it out with a dental root elevator. She hates it and pulls her paw away. I can only imagine what pain they go through (it is like having a pebble in your shoe is what I have been told).

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Absolutely a corn, & a good sized one at that. :( They can actually grow up to the flexor tendon - very painful. Here's a link you can show your vet on how to hull them:

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htm My Conor has corns & I hull them at home too.

Since I hate these damn things so much, I'm interested in Spriet's history. Is she an Irish dog? Where did she race? I just wonder if corns are as common in Europe as they seem to be in the States. And also very interesting that her problems are on the same leg as the corn - but I guess not really surprising given the pain they inflict.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Since I hate these damn things so much, I'm interested in Spriet's history. Is she an Irish dog? Where did she race? I just wonder if corns are as common in Europe as they seem to be in the States. And also very interesting that her problems are on the same leg as the corn - but I guess not really surprising given the pain they inflict.

Thanks for the link!

She's half Irish (Ballygub Digit), half Belgian. She raced in The Netherlands & Belgium (some kind of amateur racing, we've had her since she was an 8 weeks old puppy). To be honest I never knew dogs could get corns, until I saw some topics and pictures on GT. That's how I recognized it today, otherwise I probably wouldn't even notice it.

I posted a topic on a Dutch sighthound forum this afternoon and it turns out a few other Grey or Whippet owners over here are also familiar with it.

Spriets knee problem is an old injury. The tendon injury (inflammation) started a few months ago. So maybe these three things together caused her pain. I have to say she is walking a lot better since a week and she doesn't show pain specifically on the spot of the corn. But I guess it can't be comfortable..

Edited by AnneGTS

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

Well her background throws out some of the environmental theories about corns & swings it back more toward a structural issue. I'd be interested to hear what else you find out about it locally.

Glad to hear she's feeling better. :)

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

OK - I have another question.

We went to the physical therapist last week. We asked a vet to check Spriets paw. She wasn't sure if it was a corn "because that's not very common for dogs". The vet was very chaotic so we decided to leave it at that and to go to our own vet a few days later.

But.. it looks like it disappeared! The only thing we did was putting some sort of cream on it to make it a bit more flexible.

Is it possible it disappeared? Or maybe it wasn't a corn?

A picture of her paw, as it looks right now:

corn1.jpg

corn2.jpg

corn3.jpg

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

Good grief, it looked like the corns my pups have had. What cream did you put on it? That's amazing!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

You're looking at the same paw, right? :lol Because I can only see a very faint outline. I so hope it was the kind that encapsulates a foreign object & then grows out, falls out & never returns. :goodluck

Yes, it is the same paw. I checked it a few times, just to be sure :lol

The cream we used is called "Purol". I think it's Dutch. It contains Vaseline and some other stuff that I don't know. You can use it to soften your skin (or, in this case, your dogs paw :lol )

I found this online shop, in case anyone wants to try it: http://thedutchshop....979&language=en

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

Most corns I have seen on Greyhounds are on the feet of an injured leg. Mostly dogs with hock injuries, they get a corn on the injured leg, and then also a corn on the front leg diagonally across from the injury (probably from overcompensating/shifting their weight and changing their gait, due to the injury).

Did the corn fall out? It might still be under there, but the 'skin' on the pad is no longer broken, so it's not as visible. A good way to visualize a corn that hasn't yet broken the surface is to wet the paw (I use an olive oil and water mixture). The healthy paw pad turns black, and the corn is much lighter in color. You can also tell if a corn is deep in there by squeezing the pad. The dog will pull away and the pad feels harder than the others.

~Lindsay~

Guest LindsaySF

I took a closer look at the new photos. The corn is still there, just harder to see because the pad is no longer cracked.

corn1.jpg

The circled area is probably the center of the corn on the first photo you posted.

~Lindsay~

Guest BlackandTan

Most corns I have seen on Greyhounds are on the feet of an injured leg. Mostly dogs with hock injuries, they get a corn on the injured leg, and then also a corn on the front leg diagonally across from the injury (probably from overcompensating/shifting their weight and changing their gait, due to the injury).

Did the corn fall out? It might still be under there, but the 'skin' on the pad is no longer broken, so it's not as visible. A good way to visualize a corn that hasn't yet broken the surface is to wet the paw (I use an olive oil and water mixture). The healthy paw pad turns black, and the corn is much lighter in color. You can also tell if a corn is deep in there by squeezing the pad. The dog will pull away and the pad feels harder than the others.

~Lindsay~

Thats how my biy Gary is right now. Had a Broken back foot,has a corn on that and has a corn opposite front foot

Edited by BlackandTan