Help......her Nail Won't Quit Bleeding !

I just clipped one of Ruby's nails too short and now it is bleeding like crazy. I have dipped it in cornstarch with no stopping in sight, so looked on here and found out a lot of you use flour. Just tried that, still bleeding. Her toe literally drips if I hold it up for a minute. Her paw is completely bloody but she does not seem to notice a thing. She is walking fine and not licking it. What else can I do ? I am assuming no walks

today ? How soon can I walk her ? I feel like a toad..............yes, she got lots of stinky salmon treats.

Karen

Try baking soda. If that doesn't work, just give it time and it'll stop. You can still walk her, just keep an eye out and take her home if she starts limping.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Thanks Brindles. It is still going and I have been trying to hold the paw and nail in some more flour. She (and me) is a bloody mess but I am afraid if I put water on the paw to clean her up it will bleed even more. Agghhhhhhhhhhhhh, poor girl.

May try mud next....thanks Pam.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

Good luck!!! Let us know how you make out!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

After this crisis is over, go to a pet supply store and get some styptic powder (Quik Stop or some name like that) they sell for just such eventualities. After quicking Beth once early on I now keep the jar of that in the room with me and open just in case whenever I do nails. I wouldn't clip her nails without having it on hand.

Actually, my PetSmart is about ten minutes away, and I hauled Beth and her bleeding nail over there at top speed in the car when it happened to to us....

After it mostly stops, you can try some clear nail polish or that "Nu Skin" stuff for wounds (clear liquid in a little jar) over the tip of the nail to help keep it sealed.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Styptic powder on my list....... Seems to have stopped or at least slowed. She is laying in the sun acting like nothing ever happened. I am the one freaking out. I can't believe how much blood there was ! Now I need to get her cleaned up. I don't have any nail polish but think I have some liquid bandage. Was going to take her for a bike ride but think I will let her rest in the sunshine instead.

Karen

Wet a tea bag and squeeze it out. Hold it on. That's the trick that worked for us.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

If you walk her, she's liable to open it back up once it scrapes on the asphalt.

For future incidents: You can try holding an ice cube to the quicked nail to encourage the blood to clot.

And don't just dip the nail in powder (flour, cornstarch, etc.)--hold the foot and press the powder into the nail--press it into the bleeding nail for at least 20 seconds.

P.S. Quik Stop comes in a liquid form as well as a powder. I have the liquid, but I haven't had occasion to use it. (I Dremel my guys.) You might want to have some of everything on hand.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

OK, so here's what's been going on the last couple of hours. I thought it was stopped but then she went out back to get a drink and the blood started dripping again. I got my husband to help me and we tried to put the liquid bandage on it but it was bleeding so much it wouldn't stay. We then wrapped it in some gauze and wrapped vet wrap around her paw. Thought all was well and she didn't seem to notice it. Put her out a while later to eat and noticed that the wrap was gone and the toe was bleeding all over the deck again. Just brought her back in, cleaned it and put a tiny finger bandage over the end of the nail and then more vet wrap and a piece of duct tape to hopefully keep it on. She seems oblivious to this all but I can't figure out why it won't stop bleeding. I usually dremel but got sick of buying all the grinding tips and had this brilliant idea to use dog clippers instead. NEVER again. What a mess this had made.............not that she cares......lol

Karen

It won't stop bleeding as long as she's hitting it on the ground (or floor or whatever) because she's scraping or knocking whatever clot forms off the end of the nail. The duct tape may do it for you. (Soap often works, but she's likely to scrape the soap off when she walks, too.) Every artificial "scab" (like soap, or clotted blood, or clotted-blood-plus-flour) can be scraped off and start the bleeding again. The duct tape might last longer.

If it comes open again (or if she fiddles it open), try just the duct tape--a smallish piece right on the nail. That might be small enough that she'll leave it alone, but sticky enough to stay in place.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)