Kirkland Flea And Tick Form Costco?

I bought some last night! $19.99 for 6 doses of the Xtra large dog! :colgate I usually get the larger frontline and split the pack between the two of them.

But before I give it to the girls.... Is it safe? :blush I have zero problems returning it if not. We usually use Frontline and Sentinal. Frontline every 3 weeks and Sentinal every 5 weeks. We travel to very flea ridden places in the summer with dogs that haven't even had vaccines I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Kirkland active ingredients are

30.0% Etofenprox -CAS 80844-04-01

5.0% Piperonyl Butoxide Technical - CAS 51-06-6

(butylcarbity (6-propyliperonyl either) and related components

3.6% (S)-Methoprene CAS 65733-16-6

61.4% Other ingredients

Anyone understand the above enough to know if it's safe for the hounds? B) I've googled around but it's all Egyptian to me and I'm conpuzzled and anal about my dogs. Also want to make sure it's safe for the kitties since they lay in the dog beds. I also got the kitty version of the Kirkland flea and tick last night. Usually split those between the cats also since they never even go outside.

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

I was so excited in last night! That saves me so much money *if* it's safe and works. ;)

But Revolution has given Rainy chemical burn in the past, when we were in a war with a flea infestation, so I want to be super safe... All the other critters were fine with the Revolution

------

Jessica

Guest kkaiser104

Cross-posted from this topic

There seems to be a lot of confusing information above.

First most medications kill ticks and fleas. A few repel ticks.

I Highly doubt that Frontline Plus doesn't work on ticks. If your Aussie has fleas its not because of Frontline. Frontline only kills the fleas after she is bit. Most likely your house and yard are infested and she will keep getting fleas, even if she is treated, other dogs and rodents can maintain a flea population which will jump on your Aussie. if you doubt this is true, find someone who doesn't have fleas, let them take your dog for a day, the fleas on your Aussie will die and your Aussie will be free of fleas..

Prescription.....

Frontline/Frontline plus and the Kirkland product do not require a prescription. Thus you can buy online or in a store with out seeing a vet. There are many meds that require a prescription and there are some small online stores that sell meds illegally with out prescription.. You are not required to buy meds from your vet, they know this. They absolutely will call in a prescription or write you one. Many vets will match online prices, so ask.

Frontline (Fipronil) is out of patent and thus you will see more and more "generic" Fipronil on the market.

Fronline Plus is the same Fipronil PLUS an insect growth regulator "(S)-methoprene". the insect growth regulators help kill flea eggs and larva. Again you will see generic versions of Fronline Plus on the market. So the plus helps kill flea eggs and larva.

Fipronil takes about a day to work many say 18 hours.

Etofenprox 30%

(S)-methoprene 3.6%

Piperonyl Butoxide 5%

Its appears to be the exact ingredients in bio spot defense.

Etofenprox is a Pyrethroids that starts to kill insects in about 15 minutes.

Pyrethroids are much more effective against ticks. I use permethrin (the ingrediant in k9 advantex2) on my pants to keep ticks getting on me.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about Etofenprox on cats and puppies and around babies. I'll let the experts figure that out.

I live in Shelby County, TN. my dogs play in tall grass all day, frontline does kill the ticks eventually. I tend to pull about 10 ticks off them a night and frontline takes care of the rest. I often see the dead ticks in their fur. Every once in a while I still find living ticks feeding on my dogs.. I obviously remove them right away.

Around here no med works 100% on ticks.

I picked up a box of flea and tick and will try them on my dogs soon. They just got their Frontline plus about 10 days ago. I am hoping they don't have any ill reactions and if I think about it I will return and share my results

Just did a quick search and found this. We have used the Kirkland Flea and Tick on our Siberian Husky with perfectly fine results. However, she is at a VERY low risk for fleas and ticks in NW Ohio, because she really doesn't go anywhere except around the neighborhood and in her own backyard. It didn't seem to irritate her though.

Guest kkaiser104

I'm sure someone a little more well-versed in Greyhounds could give a better answer, but I've heard bad things about biospot in my own research. This website suggests talking to your vet, but of course they aren't going to give you a sound answer because they aren't veterinarians.

Here is a website of horror stories regarding Biospot. I think it would be better to steer clear then take the risk, personally.

Well the Bio spot active ingredients are listed as

Biospot for Dogs;

Active ingredient(s):

Permethrin (45%),

(S)-Methoprene (3%),

Other ingredients (52%)

30.0% Etofenprox -CAS 80844-04-01

5.0% Piperonyl Butoxide Technical - CAS 51-06-6

(butylcarbity (6-propyliperonyl either) and related components

3.6% (S)-Methoprene CAS 65733-16-6

61.4% Other ingredients

So the only thing the same there is the S)-Methoprene, which is in frontline plus also

Frontline Plus

Active ingredients

Fipronil

S)-Methoprene

I'm so confused :unsure Guess I shouldn't have slept through HS chemistry?

I would love to call and ask my vet... but I trust them even less on the subject! :lol

------

Jessica

Guest kkaiser104

I took chemistry last quarter and it still isn't helping me out!

This seems to be the most informational stuff out there. I see you have cats...so I would probably avoid the etophenprox because, if nothing else, it's toxic to them. I'm not sure about the toxicity to greyhounds specifically.

Guest kkaiser104

I think that sounds like the best option! It's such a confusing subject, and everyone has their own opinion about it. I know we've never had trouble with a flea/tick med--we've used several--but that probably depends on a lot of different factors.

I don't know! :lol From what I gather it's a similar make up to Biospot. A vet looked at it for me and verified that it is nothing like frontline. If your already using that product then I think your safe. I'm going to return it and wait for others to try it first and when it has been out longer I will maybe try it on the girls. I'm hoping it will work better than frontline on the fleas

------

Jessica

It wouldn't be as tempting if the frontline was actually working on the fleas! Lol last summer we did frontline every three weeks and sentinel every 5 weeks. We still had the occasional fleas but no infestation.

------

Jessica

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Why not either bring it in to your vet or call/email asking him/her if they thought it could hurt your dog? Also if it would be more or equally effective as other brand name products that you use.

• 1 year later...
Guest Stardude82

Any updates? I just got a Frontline refil, but am curious.

Otherwise this blog suggests Fiproguard as a generic.

Edited by Stardude82

• 4 weeks later...

The only time I ever saw a flea in my house was after using this product. I returned it to Costco and went right back to Frontline.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan