Diarrhea/ Loose Stool

Guest Axelskater

Guest Axelskater

My female Kate (almost 6) developed diarrhea/loose stool after being stressed on Monday and Tuesday. She is not going to the bathroom any more often than she normally does, maybe 1 extra time yesterday. (she goes once in the morning, once late afternoon, once before bed). But it is definitely pudding rather than any formed stool. There is no urgency, and other than that she seems okay, maybe a little less active, but it is hard to tell if you know what I mean since she is a greyhound.

I decided I will feed her just some rice, rice water and chicken tonight in a small portion, maybe a few slices of banana. Her normal food is Blue - it is very high quality, with a spoon of pumpkin. This came on very suddenly, but after two days where she had stress which she is not used to. Does anyone have any recommendations? This is day 4, with no change, but no worse symptoms either. I gave her 1 immodium this afternoon (2mg) but it did not really do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions? This does not seem to be a situation where she is unable to hold anything in - she waits 5 or more hours in between outings. There is no panting, no vomiting, no pacing, no signs of distress. She is drinking water. She is off to the vet first thing Monday if she has this tomorrow, but does anyone have homeopathic remedies or other recommendations in the meantime? My other greyhound who passed away at 13 in July did not have this happen to her unless it was an acute 2 day infection type thing, so I have no experience with this particular sitaution, Thank you.

My dogs just went through this with the stress of moving. All three had diarrhea, but, like yours, no urgency. A GT friend recommended cooked, original, oatmeal; Quaker Oats. In two days they were fine. I just added it into their kibble. It also adds calories to put the weight back on. My dogs loved it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest sirsmom

The bland diet of meat and rice will help to soothe the tummy and adding more fiber like the cooked oatmeal will help firm up the poop. If that doesn't help you can try adding some probiotics to the food.

Good luck..

agree. :nod

Guest Axelskater

Thank you everyone - Kate seems to be on the mend. I fed her boiled chicken breast, rice with some of the water, and sliced bananas for dinner & breakfast and she is firming up nicely :) I have only had Kate for 4 months even though she is older, so I am not privy to her stomach patterns yet.

I am also buying plain oatmeal to have on hand for the future. Back to cooking for my dog. My previous girl Star had lung cancer and I cooked a cancer diet for her which helped her live a year and a half with almost zero symptoms or spreading. She used to eat better than me. They are worth it though.

Guest Axelskater

I spoke too soon...Kate's diarrhea went away last night & this morning, and she seemed energetic and happy this morning - but then around 4 PM she woke me from my nap :rolleyes: needing to go out.

I am trying the oatmeal for dinner - I gave her just 1 Tablespoon, with chicken & rice - any other recommendations for amounts? I gave her another 2mg Immodium this afternoon too - I think that makes her tired. I want to take her to the vet, unnless others have seen this come and go with no problems. Again, she has no other signs of distress or illness....

Thank you all so much

Guest verthib
1329699526[/url]' post='5171413']

I spoke too soon...Kate's diarrhea went away last night & this morning, and she seemed energetic and happy this morning - but then around 4 PM she woke me from my nap :rolleyes: needing to go out.

I am trying the oatmeal for dinner - I gave her just 1 Tablespoon, with chicken & rice - any other recommendations for amounts? I gave her another 2mg Immodium this afternoon too - I think that makes her tired. I want to take her to the vet, unnless others have seen this come and go with no problems. Again, she has no other signs of distress or illness....

Thank you all so much

If her diarrhea is gone I wouldn't continue the Imodium. I would also transition her back to kibble. Probably no need for a vet visit if she's symptom free. If it reoccurs I'd bring her in.

Guest Axelskater

Thank you all so much

If her diarrhea is gone I wouldn't continue the Imodium. I would also transition her back to kibble. Probably no need for a vet visit if she's symptom free. If it reoccurs I'd bring her in.

Yes it did come back around 4 this afternoon, after being gone for 24 hours or so.

Guest zoolaine

I feed Mizuki oatmeal with every meal - otherwise she gets diarrhea and has daily accidents on the floor when I am at work, even when I was coming home from lunch to let her out she couldn't hold it for 4 hours. Anyways I cook Mizuki 1 cup of dry oatmeal (with 1.75 cups water) with every meal and add one cup of bison kibble.

I feed Mizuki oatmeal with every meal - otherwise she gets diarrhea and has daily accidents on the floor when I am at work, even when I was coming home from lunch to let her out she couldn't hold it for 4 hours. Anyways I cook Mizuki 1 cup of dry oatmeal (with 1.75 cups water) with every meal and add one cup of bison kibble.

My mentor.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest verthib
1329701266[/url]' post='5171442']
1329701031[/url]' post='5171437']

Thank you all so much

Yes it did come back around 4 this afternoon, after being gone for 24 hours or so.

My dogs can't tolerate oatmeal. You could try pumpkin or psyllium powder.

Guest DragonflyDM

The bland diet of meat and rice will help to soothe the tummy and adding more fiber like the cooked oatmeal will help firm up the poop. If that doesn't help you can try adding some probiotics to the food.

Good luck..

Boomer's stool has been mostly soft or diahrea since he came home in December. Of course, he was on some meds ... but now we tried pumpkin-- he would rather not eat than eat pumpkin, and this dog eats everything. I will try adding rice. Thanks.

Guest Brindle2Black

Greys seem to be more prone to tummy issues that most dogs. Stress can definitely trigger it. Eating too many different things in a short time span can cause it too, sometimes. I try to stay as consistent as possible with what she is on, and time seems to be the best "mender". Of course, if it gets a lot worse, or just doesn't go away, a different action is definitely needed! There's been lots of good advice here!

My Sam's been on a boatload of pain meds for various issues. Last week, he had a bad spell of diarrhea. My vet advised Imodium, but no more than 1 to 1&1/2 tablets, twice daily, for two days.

I generally try to give Imodium only when I won't be home to get the sick dog outside. And if I'm giving Imodium only when I won't be home, I can get a better feel for whether he's really getting better--or he's just being held together by the pills.

You also may want to try some Pepcid (generic famotidine). Give 10 mg before a meal to see if that will help settle her stomach. (Check the package for how long before mealtime to give the pills. It varies, depending on what coating is on the pills.)

Also, rice can be surprisingly hard to digest. You might try potatoes, instead. I usually just slice them (they'll cook faster), then microwave them until they're soft. Let them cool down before feeding. (Potatoes also are neater to feed. My guys flick rice grains everywhere.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)