Bee Wiseman

45MPHK9

"Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation." -Khalil Gibran

If I am being honest, I have been writing this remembrance post in my head since August 10th. This was the day we first saw the limp and the lump. In a geriatric greyhound this often means one thing, osteo. We thought we would be luckier than everyone else. Not this time.

5353586466_15cb860e05_z.jpg

Bee Wiseman was free. I saw her on the NGAP website. I loved her sweet face and her sad story. A two time bounce with pannus, ten teeth, separation anxiety, and nine toes. I lobbied Burke and asked him if we could go get her. I researched her tattoos and learned that she and Murray had the same father. I knew that would seal the deal. And it did. We picked her up on a rainy Sunday in November, 2008. Take her, they said. Nobody wants a dog this old. Take her. And we did. It was the best decision we had ever made. She brought joy. Easy, happy, funny. We fell in love with her quickly.

5152430646_5c6d0a6b11_z.jpg

Within a few weeks we learned that she was Burke's dog, daddy's girl. She followed him from room to room. She groaned when he scratched her ears. She rolled over on her back so that he could rub her belly. She was thrilled when he returned home from work. As the disease progressed, we feared she would break her leg so Burke took Bee into work with him. Everyday. She loved being in the shop, helping daddy fix cars. She really loved meeting customers and keeping Burke in sight. He kept an eye on her and she on him. He watched that limp get worse and worse.

6228309199_4e49d25940_z.jpg

We discovered Bee Wiseman's love of jumping for treats by accident. Burke tried to keep something away from her. He held a treat high and she lept to grab it. Who knew that a seven year old greyhound could fly through the air? She did this effortlessly and often. We loved showing her off. When the limp came we never asked her to do this trick again. And this made us terribly sad.

5079652923_e34d6b2891.jpg5079650871_6d762e9de8.jpg

Bee Wiseman loved to be outside. Anywhere, doing anything, but always outside. We created dog adventures just for her. Farms, flea markets, street festivals, fun outings. We did these things for her. She loved to ride in the car to see what was there. It never mattered where there was. She wanted to go and see. So we went. I was often asked, "What's your name? " I proudly replied, "I'm Bee Wiseman's mom." That perfect name started so many conversations in parking lots, Petcos, at play groups. Everyone knew her unusual name. We made a great many friends in the three years Bee was with us. For that, we cannot thank her enough. Those friends have consoled us and supported us through the surreal osteo diagnosis period. We will now need those same friends to sustain us through the grief that has settled in. The grief that will, no doubt, stay for a while.

5080244842_0bc5f628bf_z.jpg

While we are beside ourselves with grief, we are also angry that osteo has claimed another greyhound's life. Ironically, we sent a blood sample to the Broad Institute when Bee turned nine. Their genome research scientists were seeking donations from greyhounds who had reached that advanced age and were cancer-free. I said a prayer of thanksgiving as I mailed those vials of blood off to Boston. We made it. No cancer. We beat the odds. But it was not to be.

5293052377_c1452cd985_z.jpg

And I can tell you now that I took so many pictures of our beautiful Bee in a foolish attempt to hold on to her, to keep her with us forever. I took thousands of pictures and now that doesn't seem to be nearly enough. One day these pictures will resurrect happy feelings and lots of laughter. Today, though, Burke and I will cry and hold each other and wait for our sadness to ease.

5001452029_48eb682c5a_z.jpg

We loved Bee Wiseman with our whole hearts and I guess that's the best any of us can do. Maybe we thought that by loving her so much we could protect her from this evil cancer that stole her away. If that were true, though, so many of us would have our dogs curled up next to us, healthy and home, where they belong. When you see us out there, tell us that you remember her. It would mean the world to us. That she was remembered. That she made you laugh or smile. That you met her. She was one in a million. And we will be lost without her.

6228273729_86ff4a98a8.jpg6228787454_e5a189328e.jpg

Wait for us in heaven, Sister. We will see you again one day. You will always be our quirky girl with the bunny-soft fur and shoe-button eyes.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry, Tricia and Burke. I was glad that I got to spend this past weekend with all of you, including the beautiful Ms. Bee W. Go find your friends and have a blast, Bee. :f_pink

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Oh, Tricia, my heart aches for you & Burke. I'm crying hard for your loss - although I never had the joy of meeting her, you brought her personality through to the GT family. Many hugs to you both and Murray.

Rest in peace, sweet girl.

What a tremendous post.

Edited by sarabz

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 I'm glad that Bee Wiseman finally found her perfect home with you. I wish she could have stayed longer.

Bee Wiseman was one of my GT favourites, and I shall always remember her gorgeous face. Your tribute to her is perfect.

Godspeed Bee Wiseman.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PiagetsMom

I was hoping that I wouldn't see this so soon. Believe me when I say, I know exactly how you're feeling, and my broken heart is hurting for your broken hearts.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful Bee with us here at GT. I always enjoyed seeing your pics and hearing about your adventures together. She was a special girl who was well loved......I'm so very sorry for both of you :grouphug

Oh so glad you had one more perfect Dewey weekend with your girl...

Sorry she didn't have more time with you all....she was a special girl...

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Tricia and Burke I can't tell you how sorry I am. Bee Wiseman lived a wonderful life in the time she came into your's. That was evident in every post and every picture. You made so many wonderful memories, and some day............. they will make you smile.

:f_pink

Godspeed Bee Wiseman :gh-run Heaven has another bright and shining star.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest madredhare

That is a wonderful tribute to such a good friend. To think that no one would want her and she wound up with you. It is very strange how things work. Tragic, another precious hound lost to that dreaded disease.

Fear not - how could anyone who has had the pleasure and privilege of meeting Bee Wiseman and her loyal subjects ever forget? I am so very sorry.

Your tribute was as beautiful as your girl.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Oh Tricia, I am so terribly sorry for your loss. Bee Wiseman became a GT favorite very quickly and I think we all mourn her loss with you and Burke. Godspeed Bee Wiseman. You will forever be in our hearts.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

:weep

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Oh no, I am so incredibly sad to read this news. She looked so happy and comfortable when I saw her on the beach this weekend and I hoped that you would all have a lot more time together.

Your love for her is evident in everything you do - the way you've handled her diagnosis, with compassion and her best interests in mind only, the life you gave her, the words in your remembrance post. You know I feel your pain and I wish I could take even some small part of that away, but I hope at least that soon you will feel less consumed by grief and able to think fondly of the wonderful life you both gave to and shared with her.

Hang in there. I'm so sorry for your loss.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest 2Brindles

I was dreading the day that I would see this post; my heart sunk when I saw the thread in Remembrance. You wrote such a lovely tribute to Bee here on this messageboard, but the greatest tribute is your decision to welcome a older, difficult-to-place greyhound in your home and provide her with the love and attention she needed to shine. I know all too well the grief and frustration at having to be parted in such a cruel manner. My thoughts are with you, your husband, and Murray as you begin the interminable grieving process.

Run free with Ronan,Ivy, Piaget, Ringo, and all the other houndies whose lives were shortened due to debilitating illness.

:f_pink

Maybe we thought that by loving her so much we could protect her from this evil cancer that stole her away.

You did protect her. You did.

She was stolen away from you, but she knew only that you were hers, and you were hers forever. What an incredible, selfless, joyous gift for a dog.

I didn't know her whole story.

Thank you for sharing her with us, and for being hers.

Godspeed, unforgettable Bee Wiseman.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

To Tricia and Burke, we are both so incredibly sorry to read this. I knew the posting was coming but it still surprised me and reduced me to the inevitable tears. I am so glad that I got to meet you guys, Murray and your beautiful Bee at GIG 2011. And that I was treated to a display of Bee and her treat jumping! And got to do it myself with her! Bee, I will NEVER forget you. Ever. Run free, gorgeous.

:f_red:gh_runner:f_red

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Tricia, Ohhhhhhh No!!!!! I thought when I saw her at Dewey she looked Great! I ask Burke are you sure? He said yes and she was still eating good, she laid down she was tired but she got right back up when you were ready to walk to the ice cream social..... :( I never thought so soon!!!!!! :grouphug :grouphug I am so very very Sorry.... please give my condolences to Burke you both will be in my thoughts and prayers.... When I posted my thread I had no idea and I put her picture on the thread, she was a very special Girl....... :grouphug :grouphug

:f_red:gh_run Run Free Beautiful Bee Wiseman. :f_red

Tears are falling as I type this... :weep Your tribute is Beautiful!!!!!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

What a beautiful and touching tribute. I'm so very sorry she couldn't stay. I've always loved her name and your photos; I will miss her.

:grouphug :f_yellow

Jennie

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Tricia and Burke...I'm sitting here crying right along with you. Bee Wiseman, an awesome name for an awesome girl. Her three years with you two were the very best of her life and she'll remember that until she sees you again. I am so, so sorry. Rest well Miss Bee Wiseman.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)