Trupanion Raised My Rates

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

One of the reasons I went with Trupanion over PetPlan is that they don't raise your rates as your dog ages. Well was I surprised when I got an email today that Danica's premium per month is going from $46.27 to $61.46 ($15.19 per month or over 30%) and Jupiter is raised from $40.95 to $53.99 ($13.02 per month). Zuki and Zali's also went up by about $3 per month

Anyone else have a rate increase from Trupanion. We have had our policy for just about a year now- hope it doesn't go up 30% every year!!!

Not yet! I also have Trupanion and that was one of my reasons for choosing them, too!

Edit: "Costs do not increase based on the age of your pet", straight from their website. But when I think about that statement, it does NOT say that costs won't increase, just that they won't increase based on the age of your pet. Things that make you go "hmmmm".

Edit2: From their comparison chart: "Trupanion does not penalize the pet owner with age related increases. Premiums may periodically change to reflect the cost of veterinary care in your region, but rates will never be increased due to the aging of your pet or for filing claims."

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Wow, that is a really steep increase. Mine went up much less each year with the age related increase with VPI. And it's not like you've had your policy for years and this is hte first increase. I would call them and ask about it. I recently considered switching Zuri over, but he just turned 7 so it doesn't seem to make sense. Anyway, I read the policy about when they increase rates that was posted above, but I would never expect a 30% increase. Something akin to a yearly cost of living increase seems more appropriate to me, so a few percent, definitely under 5%.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest zoolaine

I will chat with them online tomorrow - they supposedly only increase due to rising vet costs but then why did Zali and Zuki only go up about 8% while Jupiter and Danica are over 30% :blink: seems like a huge increase to me.

This was part of the email they sent:

It is important that you understand that the premium adjustments you are receiving for your pet are not a result of your pet aging or any claims that you have filed.

Edited by zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

I was looking at what changing the deductible would do to my monthly premium. Basically to keep my monthly payments the same I would have to go from a $0 deductible to a $200 deductible - BOGUS :bugeye First Netflix now Trupanion with monthly increases

Guest zoolaine

Mine haven't gone up...yet. My friend's 6 year old boy's rates went up $10 about a month ago. Please post what you hear back from them!

Just got done with the online chat - got the "it's not your policy being targeted but general increase in vet fees" yada yada yada Said that Danica and Jupiter was raised 30% and Zali and Mizuki raised 8% because they pay more out for greyhounds (Zali and Zuki are both get mixes). The customer service rep said she could adjust my deductible but that is all they can do. Still think it's bogus. Will have to think about switching back to PetPlan.

Not yet! I also have Trupanion and that was one of my reasons for choosing them, too!

Edit: "Costs do not increase based on the age of your pet", straight from their website. But when I think about that statement, it does NOT say that costs won't increase, just that they won't increase based on the age of your pet. Things that make you go "hmmmm".

Edit2: From their comparison chart: "Trupanion does not penalize the pet owner with age related increases. Premiums may periodically change to reflect the cost of veterinary care in your region, but rates will never be increased due to the aging of your pet or for filing claims."

No different than rates for any type of health insurance for humans, including Long Term Care. ;):blush

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Wow. I assumed that I would get Trupanion when I got a new dog, hopefully later this fall but this is making me seriously rethink it. 30% in one year is totally bogus.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have Pet First now and a large claim in. I was going to see if they paid toward my claim like they are supposed to. If they do I'll stay with them. If they don't I was going to check on Trupanion and Embrace. Now that I read this I'm scratching Trupanion off my list and will check on Embrace & PetPlan. Trupanion based on this sounds like the typical insurance company trying to take advantage of you with slick tactics/wording etc. I don't need that. Thanks for posting. Besides, a 30% increase at once like that is just too much-that sounds sleezy to me.

I have Pet First now and a large claim in. I was going to see if they paid toward my claim like they are supposed to. If they do I'll stay with them. If they don't I was going to check on Trupanion and Embrace. Now that I read this I'm scratching Trupanion off my list and will check on Embrace & PetPlan. Trupanion based on this sounds like the typical insurance company trying to take advantage of you with slick tactics/wording etc. I don't need that. Thanks for posting. Besides, a 30% increase at once like that is just too much-that sounds sleezy to me.

I'd be surprised if you had any problems with PetFirst, they were very very good to us. There was another thread that mentioned another insurance company that was very similar to Trupanion, Healthy Paws. If Trupanion raises the Cs rates, I may look to switch to them. I dropped Carl's PetFirst in the spring, but have kept Claire's policy...may have been a wise choice.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest zoolaine

PetFirst was awesome when we had them except for 2 things: 1 - too low of coverage, Sunny maxed out his coverage in 2 cancer treatments & 2 - they don't cover for the life of your pet. Luna had a bladder infection which they covered but when her policy renewed it was excluded from then on out.

I don't want to discourage you guys from looking at Trupanion because they have paid quickly and I have been quite happy up until they increased the rate so much. HealthyPaws does sound pretty good though

Guest eaglflyt

Two of purs are covered with Trupanion. Trupanion is raising everyone's rates. The rate increase isn't due to age, but due to inflation and increasing prices of vet care.

Trupanion is also really pushing for everyone to raise their deductible. They have a per incident deductible, rather than an annual deductible. I prefer an annual deductible amount. Just a couple of weeks ago we took Oscar to our vet for limping and hip x-rays and he had also developed a cough by the time his appointment date arrived. I submitted all charges on a claim

Form along with our vet completing the diagnosis and treatment portion. Well, I was surprised that I had TWO deductibles to pay for that visit! One deductible to be paid for Oscar's limping and x-rays and ANOTHER deductible for his cough treatment, although all was done during the same vet office visit. So, it's a deductible not just for each visit to the vet, but each condition the dog is seen for requires a separate deductible!!!! I have never had anything like this happen with Embrace pet insurance. They have annual deductible and once it's met, you're good for the year.

There are pros and cons with each insurance company. Having some dogs covered with Trupanion and some with Embrace, currently Embrace is the one I like best.